What would make you leave your job....

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm a recruiter and have been talking to people daily for 18 years who are considering changing jobs. I'd say 30 % are purely driven by money. Disliking their direct supervisor or company culture are far and away the big drivers.

Most people don't want to lose ground in terms of money but a lot will make a change for less than 15% increase in pay if there are other issues driving their decisions.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I quit my job to build something. I could leave for much much greater pay, but I choose to stay.

The only difference with CMC is I'm hoping in 10 years time I'm vastly ahead of where I could be working for someone else.

Reactions: Cloneon

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
A culture of employees not making a pot of coffee when they take the last cup. The ******* worst.

• Haha
Reactions: ianoconnor

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Work schedule,hours per week and the ability to work from home are huge factors.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
For me, it’d be the money and the challenge.

I don’t see myself ever settling in my career, and I’m far from as driven and successful as these college coaches.

Also, I think it’s really easy to assume someone richer than us doesn’t/shouldn’t care about money. I have more than enough by a lot of people’s standards. We probably all do on this forum. But it’s not hard for me to envision what I’d do with a 20% raise, let alone a 80-100% raise. I’m sure that mindset is pretty scalable.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I wouldn’t say it’s about doing the least amount of work for most people but having a well balanced work/personal life is essential for parents.

Flexibility is worth a lot. I look for fit, I have to like who I work with and what I do. Work life balance, I've had jobs that expect you to be on call 24 hours a day and it sucked. Money, I don't do it for fun. Work has to be beneficial for both the employer and employee, we are seeing a big shift from the days when people just put up with anything for a paycheck. They are realizing that they can go find another job and the attitude of having to have the same job for an entire career is going the way of the Dodo.

• Agree
Reactions: baller21

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
A while back this big fat loudmouth and his pipsqueak son offered me $80k if I could haul 400 cases of Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta in 28 hours. I pulled it off and it paid out pretty good, those were 1970s dollars. If another deal like that came around, I'd probably quit the full-time gig and take the bet again.

I got gas money once for hauling 5 cases of “Spotted Cow” back from Wisconsin when I was passing thru.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You never know with people. Volunteered For an organization and the employees said they were over worked and needed more time off. So we hired another person to spread out there hours. The workers then went and started subbing at a neighboring business so they could make extra money. Working the same hours as before between the two.

• Haha
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
One thing not mentioned is when the decision to leave the job is determined by the employer. I was laid off in 2020 during the pandemic lockdown after working for my company for over 20 years. I am an older worker and have been in the post-college job market for many years. That really made me consider what job factors are important to me at this point in my life.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
One thing not mentioned is when the decision to leave the job is determined by the employer. I was laid off in 2020 during the pandemic lockdown after working for my company for over 20 years. I am an older worker and have been in the post-college job market for many years. That really made me consider what job factors are important to me at this point in my life.

Your story is a reminder that even the most loyal employers are as loyal as an employer can be. 20 years and you get a kick in the butt when they had to do what they had to do.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The money is definitely a factor, but coaching contracts at public universities are public info, so IMO it isn't a differentiator.

I would say the following are factors:
  • Community/Location of School
  • Athletic Department Culture
  • Athletic Director's Personality & Job Stability
  • University Culture/President
  • Location Proximity to High Number if Quality Recruits (aka 4&5 star kids)
  • Proximity to Extended Family

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron