What was the biggest game in ISU's history

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think the biggest win was OU in '17. That was a National Championship caliber team. Barely lost in the playoffs.
Not the biggest loss but one that stung was '08 vs KU. Up 20-0, went out at halftime to shotgun beers, came back in and KU rattled off 4 straight TDs in no time. That was that year in a nutshell though.

Reactions: dirtyninety

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
College Game Day going to Ames is a big deal, but last I knew them coming to town doesn't define a program or the rest of the season. I'm also not that sold on how big of an audience it will get...both fanbases are still from a low-populated state.

If ISU loses Saturday and there's still plenty left for what the season brings, which there is, it's not the biggest game. If they go out there and get sh*tcanned then I guess it's a major fail but it doesn't kill the program or something. Last year's Texas game was way bigger.

Biggest game may have been TCU two years ago. The win at OU happened, and the challenge was to keep that momentum going, and then they did. I'm pretty sure that game was also on ABC/ESPN2 so it may have actually had a bigger audience or more people generally watching it.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
The biggest game to me is is the 2017 Texas game. I know it was a loss, and it wasn't the biggest going in. I believe that loss was a turning point for the program, and it lead directly into the best stretch in modern Iowa State History (up to that date). It was also that loss that caused that team to grow, and teach the team to power through adversity. It was the following month that showed the fans that we can have nice things at ISU.

Also I am sure there are bigger games, but that is my opinion based on recent history.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Probably 10 games or more that have been more important in our history.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This game isn’t even in the top-5 this year.

MU in 2004 should have been the biggest, but I’ll go with UT last year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This one immediately came to mind for me. Top ten ranking and a Heisman contender at QB with a chance to move to even greater heights.

The biggest game we won was probably the Insight Bowl against Pittsburgh in 2000. First bowl win, and broke a long drought in bowl appearances.
So true. Mac finally won a bowl game for us, and made the Iowa series a real rivalry.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We have had more than a few "statement" games that we've either crapped the bed, or failed to capitalize. I think Saturday could be a defining moment in the CMC era with a win. Nationally televised game. Multi-hour lead-up for that national audience. Ranked opponent and our bitter rival. We lose and we've merely lost a game. We win and large swaths of the college football public, and recruitable athletes, and national media take notice and we get lots of publicity.
Agree totally. Huge game for the program and CMC.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
The 1998 game against Iowa certainly wasn't the biggest game in isu history going in but looking back from today's vantage it just might qualify. That win marked the beginning of isu's inexorable climb to the point where cmc has arrived.

Reactions: CyBobby

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Some good picks and some solid thought but man I still think I disagree with most of you. I think the ramifications go far beyond a "w". CMC is changing the culture internally but unless and until these games are won, ISU is nothing but a nice little 8 win after thought that will get a 1 minute plug as they transition over to the big boys.

Maybe a loss propels us to unseen heights but I think we've had our scare with UNI and Drake. A win is a national culture changer IF we can finally capitalize on our success.

Every game listed as bigger than this game were losses (for the most part) so we need to start winning in the dark, in the light, in the margins, on the field during AmesDay with a national audience against our hated rivals against the ******* hawks. Win in the bathroom, the bedroom, in the kitchen, in the mother ******* kids play room.

I don't get caught up in the smack talk but its beyond ******* time to destroy these pussies by ******* the living **** out of these **** holes, cutting off their tits and cocks and ram feeding them down their **** stained **** gargling throats.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Some good picks and some solid thought but man I still think I disagree with most of you. I think the ramifications go far beyond a "w". CMC is changing the culture internally but unless and until these games are won, ISU is nothing but a nice little 8 win after thought that will get a 1 minute plug as they transition over to the big boys.

Maybe a loss propels us to unseen heights but I think we've had our scare with UNI and Drake. A win is a national culture changer IF we can finally capitalize on our success.

Every game listed as bigger than this game were losses (for the most part) so we need to start winning in the dark, in the light, in the margins, on the field during AmesDay with a national audience against our hated rivals against the ******* hawks. Win in the bathroom, the bedroom, in the kitchen, in the mother ******* kids play room.

I don't get caught up in the smack talk but its beyond ******* time to destroy these pussies by ******* the living **** out of these **** holes, cutting off their tits and cocks and ram feeding them down their **** stained **** gargling throats.

I was REALLY hoping some of my swear words would be automatically asterisked out of mother ******* existence. SORRY KIDS but this is real life now. Grow a pair of big, sticky, hairy balls.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Curious what would be the biggest game for ISU that we won? Not counting games that were big because we won (i.e. @Oklahoma), but were games we were thinking were big games before hand and we ended up coming out with the victory.
TCU 2017. It was a #ProveIt game after our upset of OU, and we proved it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Texas last year and it wasn’t even close. Before that TCU the year prior.
I agree with this 100% BUT also think this game is way bigger of a deal than people are trying to play it off. 1) the hype. Probably will be the most watched Cy-Hawk game of all time. 2) win this game and go 7-2/8-1 in conference play and we’re talking BCS bowl (potentially playoff with a conf championship but I won’t get too ahead of myself) Lose this and go 7-2 in conference play and no chance at a huge bowl. Yes, conference games mean more as far as a title goes, but you’re kidding yourself if you’re trying to downplay the impact it has either way

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
TCU 2017. It was a #ProveIt game after our upset of OU, and we proved it.

So if that game was a prove it game we should of won Texas, should have won Alamo bowl, and SHOULD destroy this routine run-of-the-mill B10 crap team.

You can't prove it once - you have to continue proving it to everyone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron