What is everyone expecting? (in the long run)

What do you expect?

• Total voters

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Anything less than a winning CONFERENCE record is a failure for me.

I'm tired of this we are in the B12 talk as a point of pride. We sure are in it - but we haven't done a damn thing with it in a long long time.

I will talk a top half finish in the B12 over bowl games and wins of Iowa. That's how much I want to be competitive in the B12. That being said I don't see it happening anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong. We're just not even close at this point and that's will arguably one of the best coaches we may have the chance to get for our program.

Couldn't agree more about conference wins. ISU won't be relevant as a program until it is competitive in its conference. It spent too many years not being competitive in the old Big 8 and has a dreadful conference winning percentage in the Big XII. Those longing for the old days of the North division forget that the round robin provides us yearly exposure to the bottom half of the conference as well as the top dogs. Coaches are paid very well these days. The AD needs to find, attract, and retain a coaching staff that can be better than average. As others have stated, that means rotating 4-8 and 8-4 records based on the talent cycle. For the record, I think we have such a staff in place now. This year will provide a very important reading as to whether that is actually the case or not.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
These CPR teams have gotten taller, faster, stronger, and just overall more athletic every year. Iowa States roster is one of the if not the most athletic it's been in history. You couldn't see it last year because of all the inexperience, injurys, poor coaching, and much tougher schedule than the before CPR era... And we still managed to only lose by 7 or less in 5 games.

We are set up real well. I think CPR, Mangino, and Wally will shock A LOT of people. It might not be this year learning a new offense, but then again the offense should be better by default in turn making the defenses job easier.

I just hope Mangino and Wally stick around until they retire, and that Wally coaches until he dies. Mangino is at that borderline age where I won't be surprised either way if he stays as an OC... Bigger schools might not want to hire someone of that age for the head job and he might rather stay in this "home" environment than take a smaller time HC job.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What I would like to see is for us to be where Iowa is under Kurt (minus the boring playing style and delusional fans); they consistently win 6-8 games and every few years when they have a veteran team break out for 9-10 wins and end up in a more prestigious bowl. I think it's realistic for us to reach this point, and I think we have one of the best staffs assembled to do this. We would likely suffer the occasional 2013-esque year (record-wise); being Iowa State we still would have to rebuild every now and then.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If we have the right assistant coaches, the expectation should be no less than .500.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Jeez, 46 posts and no one has done the Eagles The Long Run yet. This forces me to be that guy.

[video=dailymotion;x10biwv]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10biwv_the-eagles-the-long-run-live-2005_music[/video]

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Iowa state was not a great team last year but I honestly think the Texas game was a dagger in the heart. We beat Texas and the kids had that game stolen from them after they battled so hard. Pair that with the huge uni let down and you would expect the kids to roll over and die but they didn't they kept battling. They won 4 games last year (IMO) which isn't that horrible for a down year with the roster talent, unbelievable injury plague, and completely horrible offensive coordinator. I think some people will be surprised at this years results.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Solid Improvement in actions not words, solid team (incl coaches), no surprising loses with a few upsets.

Actually come out of this season with reality we are building a solid foundation.

thawks

Feb 9, 2014
Football is changing. Back in the 70's, 80's 90's is was hard for teams like Iowa and ISU to compete. With the new television money pouring in the landscape is changing. The facilities at ISU are either very good or in the process of upgrading. The money just keeps getting more each year also. There is no reason ISU can't compete for bowls most years. Every few years make a big run or have a big let down as when the football Gods are naughty or nice to ISU.

The money will also allow ISU to pay coaches to the point where when you get a good one they don't leave. Schools other than the big boys often lose coaches to major schools because they simply can't match the money. To a degree this will work itself out.

Most all schools now ( or near future) should be aiming to have winning records and competing for bowls in most years.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Playing in the SEC and B1G right now also make you look better than you are too. Similar to how our down years were the ones where we had to play Texas and Oklahoma. You don't get those easy wins in the Big12 anymore... We play more conference games against more teams who are/should be bowl eligible.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I EXPECT at least a .500 season every single year.

I HOPE to win the Big 12 championship once in my lifetime (I'm 28, so there's approximately 50 years left to make that a possibility).

I WISH we could catch a dang break with these non-conference schedules once in a while.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A steady run of steady seasons in the 6-7 win range with some jumps up to 8 or 9, maybe even 10 sometime.

I'd love a conference championship, but I don't see that happening. I'd like to see steady, consistent success of some kind without the 2-3 win seasons mixed in. That should be a reasonable expectation.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
In the long run I expect there to be a player draft and we will get to pick early the first few years of the draft and that will set the wheels in motion for us to have some really good years and by and by we will win our division in the Big XVI Conference and then win the conference title game and barely make it as No. 16 to the Power Five Great 16 Playoff and win it and play in the Power Five Mega-Awesome National Championship Game against the Tide when Saban is 83 years old and coaching his last game and has just been elected Governor of Alabama and we will win the game in the fourth overtime with a cow-pasture play designed by Coach Majors and go on to win the next seven national title games in a row and every other team in the country will refuse to play us any more.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Football is changing. Back in the 70's, 80's 90's is was hard for teams like Iowa and ISU to compete. With the new television money pouring in the landscape is changing. The facilities at ISU are either very good or in the process of upgrading. The money just keeps getting more each year also. There is no reason ISU can't compete for bowls most years. Every few years make a big run or have a big let down as when the football Gods are naughty or nice to ISU.

The money will also allow ISU to pay coaches to the point where when you get a good one they don't leave. Schools other than the big boys often lose coaches to major schools because they simply can't match the money. To a degree this will work itself out.

Most all schools now ( or near future) should be aiming to have winning records and competing for bowls in most years.

The money is good for everyone. Any increase for us is an increase for all. So our gap with Power-5 teams really doesn't shink. Now, I agree that it helps us versus non Power-5 teams.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I EXPECT at least a .500 season every single year.

I HOPE to win the Big 12 championship once in my lifetime (I'm 28, so there's approximately 50 years left to make that a possibility).

I WISH we could catch a dang break with these non-conference schedules once in a while.
A 1-AA team, toledo, and a decent iowa team is a break non-conference wise.