What happens if the All-Star game gets rained out?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It's July, it's St. Louis, and that town sees it's fair share of rain in the summer? So what happens if it gets rained out? Do they play it the next day and give any of the players a day off?

Or would they just do what every other league does and give home field to the team with the best record in the regular season?

Or would that make too much sense?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Probably, the Cubs would make the World Series, but with neither league having home-field advantage, somehow the World Series would be cancelled in the process of bizarre negotiations concerning which team hosts which game.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
BCS style split championship. One decided by the AP, the other decided by computer. At this point, I don't care as long as the Dodgers win something!

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
That's awesome. I can picture the debate: "How does a best-of-seven end in a tie?!?!?!?!?! Isn't that the whole point of playing an odd # of games?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!"

Those would be some fun times.:yes:

There is only one commisioner in sports who could make that; Allen "Bud" H. Selig.

He has done a lot of good things for the game, but having the ASG decide home-field isn't one of them.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Since then, there hasn't been a World Series that's gone the distance (2002 was the last one to go 7).

Since 2003, the World Series has gone 6 games, 4, 4, 5, 4, and 5 last year.

Home field hasn't meaned jack, as only two of those teams were able to celebrate on their own turf, and both of those teams (St. Louis and Philly) won a game on the other teams field.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
BCS style split championship. One decided by the AP, the other decided by computer. At this point, I don't care as long as the Dodgers win something!

I'll have to go ahead and agree with you. It's been far too long and anything short of a title will be brutal to take with the team they have this year. And they BETTER NOT give up any of their youngins for Halladay. They don't need him!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'll have to go ahead and agree with you. It's been far too long and anything short of a title will be brutal to take with the team they have this year. And they BETTER NOT give up any of their youngins for Halladay. They don't need him!

You know, this is exactly what we Cub fans thought and said last year. :wideeyed:

That's the trick with baseball. There are so many variables that can happen. Everything could go your way or suddenly it all falls apart.

I think this ought to be the Cubs year to finally put it together.:yes:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
they play the next day. too much money wrapped up into the All Star game to let it rain out.

That would probably happen, but that makes as much sense as having the game decide home field. These guys all ready have media commitments and events to attend during the day today, the game tomorrow, and then they get a day off before the season resumes.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You know, this is exactly what we Cub fans thought and said last year. :wideeyed:

That's the trick with baseball. There are so many variables that can happen. Everything could go your way or suddenly it all falls apart

Yeah, but you're talking about the Cubs. We're talking about the Dodgers.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA

Couldn't agree more. There is so much young talent on this team. Hallady would make a very nice addition, but I can't see how to get there from here.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Erik your life would be much easier if you just switched to the Cards, I dont have to go through life living a pipe dream :wink: