What happened to the 'great' 2012 draft?

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
I don't have a sign-on to read the whole article, but I have been thinking this has been most over-hyped nba draft in a long time starting with Perry Jones III (no motor). He really hurt his stock by playing another year.

When I think about who the Suns could draft if they got lucky in the draw, I don't get excited about Robinson, anyone on UNC, Sullinger. No doubt you will get a good player, but no franchise changers.

It is really smart by the staff to still be recruiting because the hype machine could be turned on if Royce has a breakout NCAA (fixed for no2cyclones) tourney run. He could end up in the lottery even though he has much room to improve. NBA drafts on upside.

The plus side for the Cyclones is the April 8 date for declaring. This seems to be in ISU's favor.

NBA Draft - Supposedly stellar prospect crop looks like a bust - ESPN

Last edited:

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
my guess is that some haven't improved as they were thought to and some are leaning toward coming back

baylrballa

Feb 3, 2007
League City
amazing someone can average 13 and 7 while shooting 50% and be labeled a bust.

He, like many others, has always been judged against what people assume is his potential.

I'll take every 18 year old sophomore in the country on my team if he's averaging those numbers and is as good of a kid.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
amazing someone can average 13 and 7 while shooting 50% and be labeled a bust.

He, like many others, has always been judged against what people assume is his potential.

I'll take every 18 year old sophomore in the country on my team if he's averaging those numbers and is as good of a kid.

Baylor and PJIII are having a fine season and I would not label his college years a bust. I am looking at this from who I would want the my NBA team to draft. If I was drafting between 10-20, I would take Perry Jones. It is worth the risk.

Trouble is the media keeps trying to find the next Kevin Durant. Barnes had the same hype, but superstars don't come along that often.

I find this link about the odds of becoming all-star by draft position interesting.

NBA Draft Data - Draft Position Success

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't have a sign-on to read the whole article, but I have been thinking this has been most over-hyped nba draft in a long time starting with Perry Jones III (no motor). He really hurt his stock by playing another year.

When I think about who the Suns could draft if they got lucky in the draw, I don't get excited about Robinson, anyone on UNC, Sullinger. No doubt you will get a good player, but no franchise changers.

It is really smart by the staff to still be recruiting because the hype machine could be turned on if Royce has a breakout NCCA tourney run. He could end up in the lottery even though he has much room to improve. NBA drafts on upside.

The plus side for the Cyclones is the April 8 date for declaring. This seems to be in ISU's favor.

NBA Draft - Supposedly stellar prospect crop looks like a bust - ESPN

North Carolina Coaches Association?