What details do we know for sure at this point?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Obviously, it seems like a 99% chance that the 10 remaining teams are staying together. But what else do we know for sure right now?

Will there only be 10 teams?

Do NE and CO have to pay to leave? Is it a buyout fee or just a % of TV revenue?

What network is picking us up? Fox or ESPN or someone else?

Will we play 9 conference games for sure, or just 8 and rotate which team we won't play each year?

When will we find all this out? Tomorrow? A week? When?

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
What Have We Learned?

Though, not officially announced, it looks like the BiGXII will live to fight on another day. During this whole process we've seen the ugly side of college athletics rear its head and nearly rip the stones off our beloved university. I'm curious to hear what my fellow Cyclone fans have learned from this experience now that it seems to be coming to a close. The flashlight of greed was shined brightly in our faces, exposing us. What should Iowa State University do in the future to prevent us from being in this predicament again?

I think the first action to take is what it looks like we are doing now - get together with KU, K-State, MU and Baylor to form a coalition of the 'weaker' schools in out conference, giving us some bargaining power...

Edit: Thanks for moving my post to a thread that has nothing to do with what it's about. nice work.

Last edited:

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Chip's latest tweet makes it sound like they put some serious penalties in for future wandering hearts....

"Provisions in this Big 12-Lite TV deal keep the schools from jumping conferences. So they are locked in together (for better or worse). "

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Re: What Have We Learned?

That I almost had to hate college athletics...one of my absolute favorite things in the world.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Re: What Have We Learned?

Though, not officially announced, it looks like the BiGXII will live to fight on another day. During this whole process we've seen the ugly side of college athletics rear its head and nearly rip the stones off our beloved university. I'm curious to hear what my fellow Cyclone fans have learned from this experience now that it seems to be coming to a close. The flashlight of greed was shined brightly in our faces, exposing us. What should Iowa State University do in the future to prevent us from being in this predicament again?

I think the first action to take is what it looks like we are doing now - get together with KU, K-State, MU and Baylor to form a coalition of the 'weaker' schools in out conference, giving us some bargaining power...

"Coalition of weaker schools" is that like the CIC in the Big 10 lol

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
9 games for FB, 18 for BBall

Nebbie & Colorado will be paying the conference $20million

Supposedly the TV contract is FOX

Only 10 teams and hopefully it stays that way unless by some miracle you could bring in Notre Dame with one other. Otherwise it makes zero sense to dilute the revenue like the P10 and B10 are doing.

I'll be interested to hear what other concessions had to be made to Texas. I'm wondering if an unfair share of that $20million coming in from Nebbie and CU will be going in Texas's pockets?? Not a biggie, but I know some concessions were made.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
PeteThamelNYT

Source confirms that Texas asked to be able to keep own local TV and wanted "extra sweetner" financially from revenue sharing at 11th hour.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't know what those extra sweetener is, but I'm either going to guess an revenue distribution formula that makes the gap bigger, or a guarantee that they make at least X amount of money no matter how much they are on TV.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Only 10 teams and hopefully it stays that way unless by some miracle you could bring in Notre Dame with one other. Otherwise it makes zero sense to dilute the revenue like the P10 and B10 are doing.

ESPN confirmed there will only be 10 teams, but you're right that Notre Dame gets an open invitation. We could easily link them to the rest of the Big 12 by adding a team like Louisville.

I think Colorado would have stayed put if given a do-over.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
ESPN confirmed there will only be 10 teams, but you're right that Notre Dame gets an open invitation. We could easily link them to the rest of the Big 12 by adding a team like Louisville.

I think Colorado would have stayed put if given a do-over.

The Buffs are too "high" (if you know what I mean) to know what the heck they even did this past week.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
PeteThamelNYT

Source confirms that Texas asked to be able to keep own local TV and wanted "extra sweetner" financially from revenue sharing at 11th hour.

Once again, does that local TV mean picking up anything that Fox doesn't want? And, can CTN or the Big12Network still pick it up in Iowa (I sure as hell don't want to pay for that channel all year long)?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am still not celebrating until I read official statements from aTm, OU, and OSU.