What can ISU bring to a conference?

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
ISU can bring a lot to a conference academically. When it's all said and done, a major conference that's not hell-bent on expansion (like the Big East) might appreciate a strong Engineering, Ag, and Graphic Design school in their mix. Athletically ISU would fit better in the Big East as well, as they're traditionally a stronger Basketball Conf than a Football Conf; just like ISU.

Hopefully ISU can get into the Big East or MWC. I'd rather see that than the MAC or MVC.

Edit: This is assuming the Big XII dissolves...

I know a lot of hawk fans would love to see us go to the MVC, but I just don't see us dropping to I-AA (aka FCS) that quickly. :no:

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Why lash out like that? Those are worst-case scenario possibilities. And he said he DOESN'T want to see that. He wasn't taking a dig at ISU. Come on.

Well, saying that ISU would end up on the level of UNI if it has to fend for itself is pretty insulting to me. He's not giving a worst case scenario if he says that we will drop to FCS unless we can stay in the current/former big 12. Even if we end up as low as Conference USA, would still be in an FBS conference. There's no way we drop to the level of FCS. I wouldn't be insulted if he said there's a good chance that we would drop to a lower level conference like MWC, MAC, or CUSA.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This is something I posted on a BigEast board a few days ago in defense of ISU, about 50% of the posters wanted to leave ISU and take the other schools.

For those that are in favor of leaving Iowa State out of Big East expansion I thought I would give some stats and facts.
--ISU has more national titles than Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri and Baylor
--ISU has more Big 12 titles than Kansas St or Missouri
--Only Kansas and Oklahoma have more Big 12 Men's basketball titles than ISU
--Over the past decade, ISU went to 6 bowl games- more than Kansas, Kansas State, or Baylor -and tied with Missouri and was ranked in the top 10 at one point
--ISU Women's basketball has the best winning % of any Big 12 school over the history of the Big 12
--Of the schools remaining, only Missouri has a larger football stadium than ISU and only Missouri and Kansas have a larger basketball stadium
--Despite poor team play over the past few years in mens BB, ISU ranked 26th in attendance for 2010, only Kansas was higher
It would be stupid to pass on ISU simply because the Men's BB team hasn't done as well over the past 4 years. ISU has a strong BB tradition and won't stay down long.

Very nice :yes:

Of course, people can spin things however they see fit. But I think part of ISU's difficulty stems from broad-brush misperception but no "home run" point of argument to balance it. I can sense an assumption that Iowa State has no comparison to other "watch-and-wait" schools ... you made some good points.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Iowa State volleyball will be history if we leave the Big 12. Christy Johnson-Lynch will be gone in a heartbeat. Volleyball in the Big East is a JOKE. The local recruits we're picking up will go play for schools in conferences that are volleyball conferences. WBB will be hurting because one of our biggest sells is playing in the best conference in the country in the Big 12. Many of our girls are from Big 12 country. Leave and you lose all of those connections. The Big East will absolutely KILL our MBB program right out of the gate. Iowa State wrestling will also need a lot of help in the event of leaving the Big 12. Football gets recruiting ties to Texas because of the Big 12 severed. There is a LOT of harm to be done leaving the Big 12.

Not sure how our womens bb team is hurt by being in the Big East. They put seven teams in the tourney, same as the B12. UCONN won the national championship. The Big East was third in RPI, and lets see you have a chance to play UCONN every year. In WBB it's all about the coach, I don't see losing any connections we don't already have, because we switch conferences. Players want to play against the best, and the Big East gives you that opportunity.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
the only reason our basketball has suffered is due to the dip**** coach dud mcdermott which we had for the last 4 years.he almost single handidly killed our basketball program!!!!!!!!!!!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
What does ISU bring to a conference?

A conference that starts a network would get most of the TV sets in Iowa. The population is not huge but if $.25 - $.35/subscriber was charged I would guess about $2 - $3 million a year ISU would bring to a conference, not a ton.

Fan support is pretty good at ISU both at home and traveling to 'destination' games for basketball and football. ISU was # 26 in the for Men's basketball attendance even with the McDermott debacle of the last few years. ISU was #52 in football attendance for 2009, nothing to sneeze at with the population in the state and previous seasons ISU football has endured. Not to mention wrestling and women's basketball. (I know these don't pay the bills though). Bowl game travel is a point that ISU can sell to a potential suitor.

With ISU's performance in the current Director's cup, the uptick in football and the POSSIBILITY of men's basketball coming back the athletic performance of ISU should be pretty competitive for whatever conference ISU is in.

How about advertisers for a possible new network whether that be the Big 12, Big East or MWC? Principal could be a major advertiser. How about EMC and Pioneer/Dupont? If a move to the Big East perhaps Wells Fargo would want to advertise more. I know Wells Fargo Financial is headquartered in Des Moines, not the actual corporate office but Wells purchased Wachovia which has a heavy footprint in the Northeast. Maybe they already advertise heavily there. Regional advertising could be Hy-Vee, Wellmark and Casey's/Kum & Go. Is this enough to make ISU a viable contributor to a conference network?

What am I missing? Am I overstating anything?

Does ISU have a 'corporate sponsorship program' in place currently? If not, they should. All of the names you mention would be prime targets for just such a program...and I'm sure there are others. Those dollars would go straight to ISU and not have to be shared with other conference members.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
ISU can bring a lot to a conference academically. When it's all said and done, a major conference that's not hell-bent on expansion (like the Big East) might appreciate a strong Engineering, Ag, and Graphic Design school in their mix. Athletically ISU would fit better in the Big East as well, as they're traditionally a stronger Basketball Conf than a Football Conf; just like ISU.

Hopefully ISU can get into the Big East or MWC. I'd rather see that than the MAC or MVC.

Edit: This is assuming the Big XII dissolves...

Ha ha...you still think academics have anything at all to do with this? Now, that IS FUNNY!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This is something I posted on a BigEast board a few days ago in defense of ISU, about 50% of the posters wanted to leave ISU and take the other schools.

For those that are in favor of leaving Iowa State out of Big East expansion I thought I would give some stats and facts.
--ISU has more national titles than Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri and Baylor
--ISU has more Big 12 titles than Kansas St or Missouri
--Only Kansas and Oklahoma have more Big 12 Men's basketball titles than ISU
--Over the past decade, ISU went to 6 bowl games- more than Kansas, Kansas State, or Baylor -and tied with Missouri and was ranked in the top 10 at one point
--ISU Women's basketball has the best winning % of any Big 12 school over the history of the Big 12
--Of the schools remaining, only Missouri has a larger football stadium than ISU and only Missouri and Kansas have a larger basketball stadium
--Despite poor team play over the past few years in mens BB, ISU ranked 26th in attendance for 2010, only Kansas was higher
It would be stupid to pass on ISU simply because the Men's BB team hasn't done as well over the past 4 years. ISU has a strong BB tradition and won't stay down long.

Great points.

However, this points out why it is so damned important to do everything you can to win EVERY YEAR / ALL THE TIME. Memories are short and while we have a sizable portion of fans in line to win the 'most patient fan base award' other fan bases are forgetting what we accomplished in years past and just remember the past few years.

Do you think anyone remembers that UT was only 72-54-2 from 1987 to 1997 and was not even ranked in 6 of those 10 years? Hell no, they only remember that UT has been a top 10 team for virtually the entire past decade and is in the national championship discussion nearly every year. Same thing could be said of OU prior to Stoops.