What brand of beer did you drink in college?

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Red, White and Blue. $4.29 a case in 1986. Also Schaeffer Light and Busch Heavy. Busch Light didn't exist yet.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
1) Whatever you were serving...
2) What was in the pitcher in the middle of the table?
3) Whatever was in the keg...
Oh, I when I actually forked over money myself? Whatever was on sale at Hy-Vee. This will date me, but when we used to go to the drive-in theatre, we would buy "something good" like a six of Michelob to start the evening with, then a case of whatever Hy-Vee had on fire salee.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
My dad still drinks milwaukee's best light, mostly because my mom wears the pants. My brothers and I just call it Beast!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Budweiser mostly, in a can, in a bottle or on tap at the Cave Inn. If we were drinking at That Place downtown it was PBR because that was all they served. That was before the days of light beers. Coors wasn’t distributed in Iowa at the time so it was sort of a treat when someone would bring some back from a road trip. Same thing with Rolling Rock that my New York roomie brought back.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I forgot to add Brewski to my list. I don't know if they still make this swill, but it was $4.99 for a case of longnecks at Hy-Vee. It was better warm than it was cold, but it had alcohol in it, so we bought it.

Edit: Found a picture of the label.

8645-TAP-Brewski-b1.jpg

Last edited:

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
Buckhorn/Drewerys 99 cents a 6
Mickeys wide mouth. $1 a 6 pack
Moved up to Strohs and stayed there until I finished school.

Last edited:

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
Coors wasn’t distributed in Iowa at the time so it was sort of a treat when someone would bring some back from a road trip. Same thing with Rolling Rock that my New York roomie brought back.
Transporting liquor across state lines without the proper license is illegal!* :jimlad:

*Trust me on this. I was pre-law (or pre-med if that fits the situation better).