What Bar in Ames to watch WVU game?

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Wanting to roll up to Ames to watch the game from a bar on Saturday. Does anyone know who will be streaming this ESPN+ crap?

Mar 14, 2019
I know it's a chain restaurant, but I watched two Iowa State games at Buffalo Wild Wings in Ames and it was electric!

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
If you go to Welch Ave Station, you can possibly change venues at half and go across the street to BNC Fieldhouse. It’s a cool spot. I mean I’ve only been once but I’m old.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I watched a KU away game at Es Tas and I feel like that was on a weird Fox channel. They might be showing it.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If you go to Welch Ave Station, you can possibly change venues at half and go across the street to BNC Fieldhouse. It’s a cool spot. I mean I’ve only been once but I’m old.

Is this the former AJs? It's been awhile since I've been in Campustown.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
BNC is in the old T-Galaxy building (on the corner, next to the ex-Post Office building).

Gotcha. I remember that being relatively small. I'll have to stroll though that area in a couple weeks when I'm back. Last time I was in Campustown was probably 2014. Could use a dose of nostalgia.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Went to BNC for the first time Sat night since they opened in early 19. (when I graduated)

I’m really impressed with what Ben has done with the place. Really clean layout. Laid back sports bar, plus it’s not a dank fest like AJ’s.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Went to BNC for the first time Sat night since they opened in early 19. (when I graduated)

I’m really impressed with what Ben has done with the place. Really clean layout. Laid back sports bar, plus it’s not a dank fest like AJ’s.

Good to know, that place caught my attention coming to and from WAS Saturday evening.
On topic I'll throw another hat in the ring for WAS. Love that place, I forgot how good Pizza Pit's wings are and how cheap POJMF's are. Plus seeing the ageless Brooke Burke in the men's room is always a treat.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Idk if they have ESPN+ but my vote would be for Welch Ave Station.
Wow! I just did a Google Street scene to see where that was. It was the location of my first alcohol annihilation. Walked that street hundreds of times over my years. Could barely recognize it. Now I REALLY feel old.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bozclone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Welch Ave and Es Tas are great places. Depends if you want tacos or pizza for a late lunch on Saturday.

I've never been to BNC Field House but it looks decent for a new spot to try

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Most of the younger posters are familiar with AJs lounge and liquor store. BNC is also his and he loves to shoot the **** if you catch him at the right time. I was in school when he first opened up the liquor store, essentially in the basement of the current store. He thought it was funny that I remembered that because my buddy lived right next to it in that crappy house split into studios.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Most of the younger posters are familiar with AJs lounge and liquor store. BNC is also his and he loves to shoot the **** if you catch him at the right time. I was in school when he first opened up the liquor store, essentially in the basement of the current store. He thought it was funny that I remembered that because my buddy lived right next to it in that crappy house split into studios.

He shifted from what is now the basement to current location at some point when I was in school (2011-2012ish? I bought my first legal beer in 2013 at at the current location). I had a couple friends that lived in those studios, good location but to no surprise they were pretty dumpy.

royhobbs

Oct 8, 2019
Try Gilligans and if they dont have it, maybe Thumbs Up. What? Did someone mention old?