What are you reading?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Recently bought this one. His "Emperor of All Maladies" about the history of cancer was an eye-opener.

song of the cell.jpg

Reactions: Trice

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, going to take a training through work by his company as well in the next few months. Started reading two books a month in December, last four were real estate investing books.
That's some top-notch training! Went through a program many years ago and always applying the lessons.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Hadn't seen this thread before.

Currently Reading:
- Giannis: The Improbable Rise of an NBA MVP by Mirin Fader
In looking up the exact title I stumbled on the fact that there is an updated version of this with an additional Epilogue about him winning the NBA Championship. I'll have to see if I can find that as my library only has the original. Also, his story is really interesting. Growing up with nothing in Greece to where his is today is remarkable.

-Wayward by Chuck Wendig.
This is the sequel to Wanderers which I loved. I've read all of Wendig's stuff except for the Star Wars material he wrote. I especially like his Miriam Black Series. Has a really awesome, strong, female lead with psychic powers.

-Harry Potter Book 1
Reading this to my kid at night before bed. We're about half way through and she's really enjoying it.

Future Reading:
Probably the Stormlight Archives. When The Wheel of Time show was announced I ended up reading all of that series in the fall of '21(to the detriment of my sleep schedule). I knew about B.S. helping finish that and found out about the Stormlight Archives but never started it. Thinking it's time to give it a go.
Started reading Harry Potter 1 to my 6yo about a month ago, almost done and he's focused.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Sevin -about a trio of students that create a gaming empire
Sierra Six by Mark Greaney -the latest in a long series of the Gray Man -this one was fantastic -weaving back to his roots and today
The Dexter book series by Jeff Lindsay -I'm on my 5th (of 8) -it starts following the series closely but quickly diverges away
Killing the Killers -Bill O-Reilly -pretty good and informative about the hunt for Bin Laden and several others I hadn't heard of - and not too one-sided politically (as an A-Politico I appreciated that)

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Started reading Harry Potter 1 to my 6yo about a month ago, almost done and he's focused.
Mine's 7y/o and she's the same. She keeps trying to have me start earlier and earlier each night so that we have more time to read. We may try subbing in some of the audiobooks occasionally as we keep going too. As others have said in this thread I enjoy how voice actors can better tell a story through different voices and inflections. I think my daughter would enjoy it too.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Mine's 7y/o and she's the same. She keeps trying to have me start earlier and earlier each night so that we have more time to read. We may try subbing in some of the audiobooks occasionally as we keep going too. As others have said in this thread I enjoy how voice actors can better tell a story through different voices and inflections. I think my daughter would enjoy it too.
My attempts at various British accents are, uh, a good effort at least.

• Haha
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Hadn't seen this thread before.

Currently Reading:
- Giannis: The Improbable Rise of an NBA MVP by Mirin Fader
In looking up the exact title I stumbled on the fact that there is an updated version of this with an additional Epilogue about him winning the NBA Championship. I'll have to see if I can find that as my library only has the original. Also, his story is really interesting. Growing up with nothing in Greece to where his is today is remarkable.

-Wayward by Chuck Wendig.
This is the sequel to Wanderers which I loved. I've read all of Wendig's stuff except for the Star Wars material he wrote. I especially like his Miriam Black Series. Has a really awesome, strong, female lead with psychic powers.

-Harry Potter Book 1
Reading this to my kid at night before bed. We're about half way through and she's really enjoying it.

Future Reading:
Probably the Stormlight Archives. When The Wheel of Time show was announced I ended up reading all of that series in the fall of '21(to the detriment of my sleep schedule). I knew about B.S. helping finish that and found out about the Stormlight Archives but never started it. Thinking it's time to give it a go.

I’m 3 books into Harry Potter with my son. They were popular when I was the target age, but I just wasn’t interested.

I’m enjoying them with him though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My grandfather was a great story teller before the dementia took hold. He would go to Mary Greeley for years and dress up and read to the children that were being treated. Doctors would routinely be late to meetings because they would become enthralled in his performance. I love hearing someone that can tell a good story.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Sevin -about a trio of students that create a gaming empire

I’ve got this one reserved on Libby. I’m still 10 weeks out. Very excited to read it.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Most recently finished: Chaos by Tom O'Neil

Actively reading: Black Flags by Joby Warrick and The SMED System by Shigeo Shingo

On the list: Finish Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East series (on book 4); A book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi; Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee; The Art of War by Sun Tzu

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Last year I read most of the novels of Haruki Murakami. Mostly in order of publication, although I had read Norwegian Wood, 1Q84, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in the previous year or so.
I finished "Sputnik Sweetheart" last week. "After Dark", "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki", and "Killing Commendatore" will be next. And I have a couple of his short story collection publications too.

But I'm also mixing in different novels and and non-fiction to string out the Murakami goodness.

There is a current theme in the non-fiction of techno-futurism - I finished "The Singularity is Near" (written in the early 2000s, the sequel is supposed to be out in the next year or 2). Some alternate/opposing views by Jaron Lanier were cited in that book, and I've been looking for a good excuse to read him. "You Are Not a Gadget" is currently one of my books in progress.
And the most recent novel was "A Brave New World"

Brandon Sanderson has come up a couple times in this thread recently, and I have yet to give him a try.
It seems like the consensus is to try "The Way of Kings" from the Stormlight Archive series or "The Final Empire" from the Mistborn Saga.
Anyone have a strong recommendation for either or a completely different Sanderson starting point?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Last year I read most of the novels of Haruki Murakami. Mostly in order of publication, although I had read Norwegian Wood, 1Q84, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in the previous year or so.
I finished "Sputnik Sweetheart" last week. "After Dark", "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki", and "Killing Commendatore" will be next. And I have a couple of his short story collection publications too.

But I'm also mixing in different novels and and non-fiction to string out the Murakami goodness.

There is a current theme in the non-fiction of techno-futurism - I finished "The Singularity is Near" (written in the early 2000s, the sequel is supposed to be out in the next year or 2). Some alternate/opposing views by Jaron Lanier were cited in that book, and I've been looking for a good excuse to read him. "You Are Not a Gadget" is currently one of my books in progress.

Brandon Sanderson has come up a couple times in this thread recently, and I have yet to give him a try.
It seems like the consensus is to try "The Way of Kings" from the Stormlight Archive series or "The Final Empire" from the Mistborn Saga.
Anyone have a strong recommendation for either or a completely different Sanderson starting point?
I haven't read any Mistborn but the Stormlight series is great. The Way of Kings is really good and Words Radiance is excellent.

Reactions: JimDogRock

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Someone referenced Centerville in this thread so I bought it off abebooks. Here's the little review I did on Facebook.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204-181522_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-181522_Facebook.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230204_181720.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_181720.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Cyismymonkey

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The official January 6th report is in audiobook format on Libby/Bridges. Don't want to start any debate in a non-Cave thread, just wanted to mention it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Stormlight Archive is very, very good, and that is where I started. I don't think you can go wrong, as Mistborn is very good too though.

Reactions: JimDogRock

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'm half way through the Tower of Swallows and then finishing the Witcher series with The Lady of the Lake.
Started the netflix series and wanted to see if the books were the same. The first couple of books were a struggle to get through but Baptism by Fire finally got things going.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm half way through the Tower of Swallows and then finishing the Witcher series with The Lady of the Lake.
Started the netflix series and wanted to see if the books were the same. The first couple of books were a struggle to get through but Baptism by Fire finally got things going.

Yeah I did them all last year. Really enjoyed them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron