What’s In the Bag? ***GOLF EQUIPMENT THREAD***

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Think you’d have to dig harder than GG or ****’s to find some locally. Can’t remember the golf stores in DSM...Kinley’s maybe by the airport. Is there a PGA Superstore in DSM yet?

No PGA Superstores in Iowa. I do have some friends in the Minnetonka area though. Might have to pay them a visit ;)

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So what’s the idea behind the combo? Use the 5’s for longer irons because they provide more forgiveness than the 7’s, due to the longer face? Why not just use 5’s if that’s the goal, as opposed to the combo approach?

I haven’t heard a single person talk about Srixon irons before. Looked them up, and now I’m intrigued. I am a visual player. I can’t stand to look down at something I find gaudy/ugly. Needs to be clean and somewhat thin. I don’t need/want blades, but I don’t want to look at a mallet 5 iron either.

These look pretty damn sharp.
You pretty much nailed it. The 7s feel better and aren't as 'clunky' looking in the smaller irons. The 5s are more forgiving so I'll definitely get a 5 and 6. On the fence which 7 iron though. I'll drop the 4 iron from the bag altogether. Assuming I can find any. Will also need to weaken the lofts of the 5s by a degree to avoid a gap where my switch is made.

Reactions: Scott34

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Doesn't matter what's in the bag, it's how you hit 'em. My irons are a vintage set of Ping eye2s, My driver is a Taylor Made something or other, my son gave it to me, 3 wood V steel, and my putter is a Slotline mallet head. I prefer old school

Those are the best irons ever made. I will not part with mine until I am so old that I can no longer swing them. Then, I'll pass them on to a grandson or great grandson depending how long this old body keeps working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbahotep

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I have an old set of Callaway irons I fell in love with when I bought them new. I also go with a Callaway driver and hybrid. For my level of golf, they are forgiving, but I don't feel like I am swinging a hockey stick.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Driver: Taylormade M2
3W: Taylormade M1
5w Taylormade M2
4H: Ping g410
5-W Tour Edge Exotics
52: Taylor Made Z spin
56: Tour edge super spin
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #2
Balls: Kirkland. Love them. Don’t hate

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I sure hope a lot of you are low single digit handicappers or you're wasting a lot of money. I'm a 10 handicap and play with crap for clubs (a bunch of older mix matched clubs out of the bargain bin at Play It Again Sports)..... but a nice Odyssey White Hot putter with a fat grip. Putting is where it's at folks!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Driver: Titleist 913 driver D2 - bought 2012
3W: Tour Edge Exotic - new 2007
4H: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood - new 2006
4-W Callaway X20 Tours - bought 2009
54: Titleist Vokey - new 2008
56: Titleist Vokey - new 2008
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport - 2002 (I bought around 2010)
Balls: Haven't bought golf balls in years... But I have a ton of Pro V 1's and Bridgestone Tour B's from various events or holiday gifts

I'd love to upgrade my driver but want a year or 2 old lightly used since driver tech has changed so much
For how little I hit my 3 wood and hybrid. They won't be replaced anytime soon
I need lessons and to play more before I buy new irons
LOVE my wedges and putter

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I was a 6 pre-family. Played 3-5 days a week.

24 years later, I'm likely an 18. I play about once every three years. That didn't go the way I planned.

In my bag:
Like new early 1990's Titleist DCI irons
Like new early 1990's Taylor Made "woods"
Vintage set.

i got a pair of DCIs in about 98. Still love em.

Reactions: bozclone

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
After getting rid of my very first set of Dunflops when I started playing in a league several years back:

Driver: Callaway X-hot White Hot
3W: Only original left from HS, Taylormade 100 Steel (?) I think...
Irons: Callaway X-hot
Wedges - Callaway X-hot A, Cleveland 54deg
Putter - Odyssey 2-ball variation

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
i got a pair of DCIs in about 98. Still love em.
I had a set if DCIs I bought from the Golf Pro for cash at the CC I worked at in 1997 that were demos. I think I paid him $150 for them and now my son uses them once I bought AP1s a few years ago.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
PXG prototype driver
Rogue 17 degree
PXG 3-g 311 irons Gen 2
Mack Daddy 54/58
PXG mini gun boat putter

I did buy a 64callaway PM wedge to screw around with. Have not put in bag for a tournament

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I sure hope a lot of you are low single digit handicappers or you're wasting a lot of money. I'm a 10 handicap and play with crap for clubs (a bunch of older mix matched clubs out of the bargain bin at Play It Again Sports)..... but a nice Odyssey White Hot putter with a fat grip. Putting is where it's at folks!
You could be lower if you had better clubs. Not that people aren't wasting money on golf equipment. Lessons would be money better spent, but that's no fun.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
You could be lower if you had better clubs. Not that people aren't wasting money on golf equipment. Lessons would be money better spent, but that's no fun.

Speaking of lessons - anybody have any recommendations for good lessons in the DM metro? Couple years ago I had a couple with Mark Egly at the DSM Driving Range but wasn't very impressed. He mentioned that he had given lessons to Joel Lanning, so that was cool, but he didn't really seem very engaging during my lessons (on the phone half the time, seemed distracted with other things, didn't really teach/instruct much).

I have no doubt I need lessons to improve - maybe this year is the year to finally commit.

Reactions: wintersmd

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Putting can save a ton of strokes, no doubt!

I don’t necessarily agree with your take about wasting money though. If spending $1,000 on clubs helps you enjoy the game more (or just makes you feel good) it’s worth it, right? Not even taking into account maybe shaving a couple of strokes if you get fitted.

Reactions: Cydkar

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Speaking of lessons - anybody have any recommendations for good lessons in the DM metro? Couple years ago I had a couple with Mark Egly at the DSM Driving Range but wasn't very impressed. He mentioned that he had given lessons to Joel Lanning, so that was cool, but he didn't really seem very engaging during my lessons (on the phone half the time, seemed distracted with other things, didn't really teach/instruct much).

I have no doubt I need lessons to improve - maybe this year is the year to finally commit.
I am interested in golf lessons as well. I haven't golfed in about 15 years and want to get back into it since I retired. Anyone have recommendations for the Ames area???