Wednesday OT - Obligatory "What're You Eating Tomorrow" post

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm going to try frying a turkey for the first time. I'm hoping we don't see a new thread tomorrow labeled "Will my homeowners insurance cover damage done by frying a turkey".

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm going to try frying a turkey for the first time. I'm hoping we don't see a new thread tomorrow labeled "Will my homeowners insurance cover damage done by frying a turkey".

I'll preface this by saying - I don't cook. Not even a little. It's a miracle that I can make grilled cheese.

Anyway. I've read about frying turkeys - is there a special enormous, industrial-sized deep fat fryer for turkeys? Or do you cut the turkey into little pieces and put them into a giant Fry Daddy or something?

I realize this is probably a totally asinine question, I validly am curious how it works. Feel free to laugh at me. :)

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Oh, man, that's crap timing. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm not a huge food guy when it comes to Thanksgiving anyway so it's not really that big of a deal. If I'm jonesing for an authentic Thanksgiving fix tomorrow I have no qualms about firing up the blender for a turkey and gravy smoothie.

My wife and I have joked about me going off on a drug induced Airing of the Grievances with all of the family though. The thought of it just makes me giggle.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Last year mom hosted. Arrived in the morning; was checking out the food in the kitchen:

"Hey, mom- where's the stuffing?"
"Oh- we don't need any do we?"

I exploded.

"NO STUFFING???????!!!!!!!!!! Why not get rid of presents on Christmas while we're at it!!!!????"

I think we were able to get some from HyVee. That was a close call. Love you mom, but damn. Come on.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Yeah, I'm not huge into any of those, either - I only liked mashed potatoes if they have the skins still on, or if there's something interesting in them (otherwise the texture is just not appealing to me). Even turkey is usually bland. I'm lucky my husband is a great cook and uses lots of herbs and spices and stuff to make things more interesting.

I DO use gravy to get down the turkey and potatoes!

I hear you with the texture thing. That is the reason why I don't liked mash potatoes the darn texture.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oooh, love food posts. Menu time!

Turkey
Latkes
These mashed sweet potatoes: Mashed Red-Curry Sweet Potatoes, Recipe from Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
Green bean casserole, but the good kind, courtesy of Cook's Illustrated (no canned mushroom soup involved)
Salad
Pineapple casserole (kind of like a bread pudding)
Stuffing
Homemade Bread
Apple Pie
and LOTS of wine with football on the TV. Best holiday.

Holy crap, those potatoes sound AMAZING.

I hear you with the texture thing. That is the reason why I don't liked mash potatoes the darn texture.

I'm a total texture eater - it's why I put potato chips on lunch meat sandwiches. Instant mashed potatoes are maybe the worst thing on earth.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If I wanted to appeal to the masses I would say BACON!

But, it is not bacon. It's wine, pie, more wine than more pie. All of the other stuff is just filler, social etiquette and holiday dogma you have to endure to get you to the pie!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'll preface this by saying - I don't cook. Not even a little. It's a miracle that I can make grilled cheese.

Anyway. I've read about frying turkeys - is there a special enormous, industrial-sized deep fat fryer for turkeys? Or do you cut the turkey into little pieces and put them into a giant Fry Daddy or something?

I realize this is probably a totally asinine question, I validly am curious how it works. Feel free to laugh at me. :)

Good question. I have a lot of equipment for this type of thing already because I brew beer. You leave the turkey whole. I have a 30qt aluminum pot and a rack where the turkey sits. You just put the turkey on that rack and put it in the pot along with peanut oil.

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
I LOVE FRIED TURKEY. And angie no you put the whole turkey in the fryer. The creates a thin like layer of crisp outside, leaving the rest of the turkey extremely juicy and delicious. If yiu went to Gus's fried chicken last year in Memphis it's comparable to that

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I always thought the texture of mashed potatoes was deliciousness. Although I agree that instant/boxed mashed potatoes are the spawn of Satan.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Good question. I have a lot of equipment for this type of thing already because I brew beer. You leave the turkey whole. I have a 30qt aluminum pot and a rack where the turkey sits. You just put the turkey on that rack and put it in the pot along with peanut oil.

Okay. That makes sense to me. Holy crap, that is a lot of peanut oil!

I LOVE FRIED TURKEY. And angie no you put the whole turkey in the fryer. The creates a thin like layer of crisp outside, leaving the rest of the turkey extremely juicy and delicious. If yiu went to Gus's fried chicken last year in Memphis it's comparable to that

Let's say you did cut it up and put it in - would that give you even MORE crisp thin outside layer? If so, WHY AREN'T PEOPLE DOING THAT?

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Something like this rig:

Backyard Pro 30 Quart Deluxe Turkey Fryer Kit / Steamer Kit

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

Fry Turkey Fry - YouTube I think Alton Brown has a great step by step way to fry turkey safely. I used to be able to watch the whole episode on youtube...they may not let you any more.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Smoked pork shank (courtesy of La Quercia) with roasted root veggies. Gelato and cookie sandwiches for dessert. Oh, and a ******** of wine. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!