Wednesday OT - Obligatory "What're You Eating Tomorrow" post

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Mashed potatoes is probably my least favorite way to have potatoes. And if I hit a lump I almost gag.

I usually contribute my parsley potatoes, which are peeled and boiled just a bit, then covered with a mixture of melted butter/olive oil, parsley, garlic, onion seasoning and a chicken bouillon cube. Then baked on a cookie sheet to get a light crispy brown coating.

Also bringing scalloped corn.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Thanksgiving meal is pretty standard for both of our family gatherings. My biggest mix on the plate is the corn HAS to be mixed with the mashed potatoes and gravy.

The biggest plus of Thanksgiving, however, is the turkey and dressing sandwiches that follow. It's a northeast Iowa thing (specificially Dubuque County, I guess), as I learned when my wife and her family thought the idea was preposterous when I mentioned it to them down by Cedar Rapids.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I don't know what that is, but I want some!

It is like a custard in texture. Rich and yummy. It's my grandma's recipe. Pretty easy to fix.

EggNog Pie

8 inch Baked Pie shell

1 T. unflavored gelatin (1 knox envelope) * USE IF WHIPPING CREAM
3 T. cold water (soften 5 minutes) 1/4 c. sugar
2 C. Prepared dairy eggnog 1/4 t. salt
1 C. cream (whipping) or 2 cups cool whip 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t.almond extract

Soften gelatin in cold water. Warm eggnog over low heat. Stir in softened gelatin and continue heating until gelatin is completely dissolved. Chill until partially set, then beat until smooth.
* Fold sugar, salt and flavorings into whipped cream. Fold cream mixture (or cool whip) into eggnog mixture. Pour into baked pie shell or a crumb crust. Sprinkle with nutmeg or toasted almonds. Chill 2 or 3 hours or overnight.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I can't change the columns for some reason....

If you use cool whip do NOT add sugar, salt, vanilla, almond extract. I accidently did that once....ewwwwe.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The Thanksgiving meal is pretty standard for both of our family gatherings. My biggest mix on the plate is the corn HAS to be mixed with the mashed potatoes and gravy.

The biggest plus of Thanksgiving, however, is the turkey and dressing sandwiches that follow. It's a northeast Iowa thing (specificially Dubuque County, I guess), as I learned when my wife and her family thought the idea was preposterous when I mentioned it to them down by Cedar Rapids.

if you like peas, mixing those with the potatoes and gravy is quite delicious then too. But corn is the best.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
In this thread:

Food mixers! EWW!

As LL Cool J said it best in Toys:
"I can't even eat. The food keeps touching. I like military plates, I'm a military man, I want a military meal. I want my string beans to be quarantined! I like a little fortress around my mashed potatoes so the meatloaf doesn't invade my mashed potatoes and cause mixing in my plate! I HATE IT when food touches! I'm a military man, you understand that? And don't let your food touch either, please?"

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'm going to try frying a turkey for the first time. I'm hoping we don't see a new thread tomorrow labeled "Will my homeowners insurance cover damage done by frying a turkey".

You probably know this already, but make sure the turkey is DRY, inside and out. They even make a turkey dryer, that blows air into a turkey cavity.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Might not be appropriate for here but I don't care.

When I was in college, we had a Thanksgiving party at the house we were renting.
One of my buddies worked at a turkey farm, and we had a clandestine operation the night before. Dark van, no windows, dropped a couple guys off at the turkey building, dressed in black, and drove around the section. Pulled back up, they fired a turkey (dispatched) thru the side door, climbed in and we motored home.
Two of my roomies cleaned and plucked the bird, and another friend brought his smoker over, along with a half-gallon of Jack D, and started smoking the turkey the next morning.
We were all pretty well hammered by the time it was done, so my roomie's girlfriend volunteered to carve it, as she didn't want anyone severing fingers or an artery. "Wow, you guys even made stuffing!", she proclaimed...but we hadn't. The guys who cleaned it failed to remove a corn-stuffed craw, much to everyone's dismay. We ate it anyway -- the turkey, not the "stuffing."

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We are having turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, maybe some salad, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and about three jiggers of Maker's Mark.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
The usual, plus vegan mac and cheese.

As for my favorite, I am going to have to go with green bean casserole, followed closely by stuffing and corn casserole. It used to be mashed potatoes and gravy, but I have yet to eat mashed potatoes that matched my grandmothers.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
The usual, plus vegan mac and cheese.

As for my favorite, I am going to have to go with green bean casserole, followed closely by stuffing and corn casserole. It used to be mashed potatoes and gravy, but I have yet to eat mashed potatoes that matched my grandmothers.
What do you use for cheese in vegan Mac and cheese?

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
Well, since I was at Hy-Vee buying it, the sauce is made from raw cashews, raw sunflower seed nuts, tofu, and nutritional yeast which apparently is what makes it taste cheesey. Plus some soy milk and other stuff.

I'm a good big brother.