We are hypocrites

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have to make this thread after reading the meltdown thread A.K.A the UNI gameday thread.

Everyone is saying that this ISU team is poorly coached, plays no defense, is lazy, doesnt find the open man, blah blah blah. Which is true. If they were all those things then they would be amazing because of the individual talent, which is also true. But then everyone says we shouldnt lose to UNI?? Who is the definition of a scrappy great coached team. They dont play lazy, they find the open man, they play defense but there not super talented. So why is this game a "terrible loss?" I agree its not a good loss but my god, were being hypocrites. We want exactly what UNI has yet there not a good team?? I dont get it. Please explain?

O and clonedude is an idiot! thanks

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
You're right. We can't keep talking out both sides of our mouth.

From a TEAM perspective, UNI is everything we should strive to be. They don't make many mistakes. Right now, all we have is talent. No reason to look down our nose to anyone.

sigh

Apr 11, 2006
Denver
I agree, UNI is a much much better coached team than ours (way more disciplined as well). But according the recruiting experts, the analysts, and all the other people that forced me to drink this nasty *** Koolaid prior to the season, we have way more talent than we've ever had in the last 5-10 seasons.
So, I'm with you on this and I'm done drinking any type of Cyclone Koolaid ever.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I have to make this thread after reading the meltdown thread A.K.A the UNI gameday thread.

Everyone is saying that this ISU team is poorly coached, plays no defense, is lazy, doesnt find the open man, blah blah blah. Which is true. If they were all those things then they would be amazing because of the individual talent, which is also true. But then everyone says we shouldnt lose to UNI?? Who is the definition of a scrappy great coached team. They dont play lazy, they find the open man, they play defense but there not super talented. So why is this game a "terrible loss?" I agree its not a good loss but my god, were being hypocrites. We want exactly what UNI has yet there not a good team?? I dont get it. Please explain?

O and clonedude is an idiot! thanks

It's a terrible loss because we as a Big 12 program SHOULD NOT be losing to MO valley schools year after year. Sure occasionally you have an off night and lose...but we are losing CONSISTENTLY!

Take the KU/UNI tourney game, yeah KU lost but 9 out 10 times KU would win that game.

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree, UNI is a much much better coached team than ours (way more disciplined as well). But according the recruiting experts, the analysts, and all the other people that forced me to drink this nasty *** Koolaid prior to the season, we have way more talent than we've ever had in the last 5-10 seasons.
So, I'm with you on this and I'm done drinking any type of Cyclone Koolaid ever.

Maybe fred isnt cut out to be a coach? But im not going to come to that conclusion after one year and 7 games. Im not that iggnorant or stupid. Its obvious that ppl want to play for fred and he can recruit, but that doesnt mean he can coach, look at ron zook. BUT i believe in fred, and i think he will turn this team around, not necessarily a tournament team, but things will improve. And i do think this is the most talented team ISU has had for awhile, but TALENT doesnt=wins. You have to play hard, smart and as a team.

"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesnt work hard"

kas4cy

Sep 11, 2011
Iowa City, IA
The biggest problem with the fan base is their expectations, honestly. People expected this team to play hard and be great out of the gate. Work together and play well as a team automatically. It doesn't work that way, and since it doesn't and it hasn't, some people don't know how to react. Losing sucks, no question. Losing to the two MVC schools in our state sucks, but it's not the end of the world. It's still early in the season and the team has already improved from what they were a month ago. They will continue to get better, and there's no reason to jump off a bridge. Teams lose early, it happens. UNI will probably be a tournament team this year, this isn't a horrible loss. We just need to make sure we get better because of it, which I'm sure Fred will have happen.

Reactions: cymaniac17

CyRodestr

Jul 7, 2009
We have better athletes then UNI, but they under achieve. ISU is undisciplined and they do not do the things necessary to win. UNI would be pummeled by most Big 12 teams because UNI does not have the talent needed to compete at that level. ISU will be pummeled because they are sloppy and uncommited to solid basketball skills. Unfortunately ISU has been over hyped and will end up in the lower quartile of the conference. Most of these players won't sniff the NBA. They don't have the drive / commitment to play the kind of basketball necessary to excel. Hoiberg will not get them to do that. End of story.

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
The biggest problem with the fan base is their expectations, honestly. People expected this team to play hard and be great out of the gate. Work together and play well as a team automatically. It doesn't work that way, and since it doesn't and it hasn't, some people don't know how to react. Losing sucks, no question. Losing to the two MVC schools in our state sucks, but it's not the end of the world. It's still early in the season and the team has already improved from what they were a month ago. They will continue to get better, and there's no reason to jump off a bridge. Teams lose early, it happens. UNI will probably be a tournament team this year, this isn't a horrible loss. We just need to make sure we get better because of it, which I'm sure Fred will have happen.

+1

Couldnt say it better myself

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I agree! This team will make a ton of improvement from the first game to the last game. Whether they accomplish anything special depends on how quick they improve.

UNI is a team that is the perfect learning experience for a team like ours. If I were Fred, I would scrimmage them a hundred times in the preseason, as they maximize their talent by playing hard and playing smart. They're no fun for anyone to play.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't necessarily agree. I think you can be a face-paced, scrappy and exciting team without being sloppy, lazy and poor defensively. These are not mutually exclusive concepts. I love that Fred wants to play up-tempo and likes to let his players play "loose", but that doesn't not have to come at the expense of playing defense and hustling.

kas4cy

Sep 11, 2011
Iowa City, IA
I don't necessarily agree. I think you can be a face-paced, scrappy and exciting team without being sloppy, lazy and poor defensively. These are not mutually exclusive concepts. I love that Fred wants to play up-tempo and likes to let his players play "loose", but that doesn't not have to come at the expense of playing defense and hustling.

You can play that way, yes. But it takes a while to play that way. We don't have the type of talent where we can do that. It takes time. We're only a month into the season.

Also, defense has progressively gotten better every game so far. It will continue to get better. Defense played well enough tonight to win. We just couldn't hit shots, especially from behing the arc. Our shooting was horrible tonight, but people want to blame what was the problem in previous games, yet refuse to mention it has improved and that we actually looked like a better team today than we have against any other team in Hilton this year. I can't say if we played better in Texas, because I didn't have television to the games, but this team has improved and will continue to do so.

Patience. That is the key word for tonight.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
. Teams lose early, it happens. UNI will probably be a tournament team this year, this isn't a horrible loss. We just need to make sure we get better because of it, which I'm sure Fred will have happen.

No, we are mad because losses like this are becoming the norm.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You can play that way, yes. But it takes a while to play that way. We don't have the type of talent where we can do that. It takes time. We're only a month into the season.

Also, defense has progressively gotten better every game so far. It will continue to get better. Defense played well enough tonight to win. We just couldn't hit shots, especially from behing the arc. Our shooting was horrible tonight, but people want to blame what was the problem in previous games, yet refuse to mention it has improved and that we actually looked like a better team today than we have against any other team in Hilton this year. I can't say if we played better in Texas, because I didn't have television to the games, but this team has improved and will continue to do so.

Patience. That is the key word for tonight.

I can handle losing if we are out talented. I can handle losing if we just have an off night shooting. I truly can appreciate the concept of it taking some time for things to mesh and to get a productive system in place. I really can. There is NO viable explanation, however, for a lack of defensive intensity and a lack of knowledge for time and situation. To me, I'm not seeing this as an 'x's and o's' type thing, it looks to go deeper than that-- and that is troubling.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
No, we are mad because losses like this are becoming the norm.

This and too many co dependent fans making excuses for LOUSY team basketball . . with absolutely NO HOPES for seeing any change this year AGAIN.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I guess I'm not sure why calling me names has anything to do with this, but a lot of people love doing it, so you might as well join in.

Maybe it's because I said Fred got out-coached big time?

Just imagine for a minute if we moved, passed, screened, and executed on offense like UNI does? You know... if we had wide open shooters all night like they did. Can you imagine if Babb, McGee, Allen, Scotty, etc had wide open looks from 3 all night like UNI's guards did? I don't know if Babb or McGee would even miss if they were that wide open?

So just ask yourself that. It helps explain a LOT. Shooting and making shots is NOT hard to do when you're wide open. It is when you're 2 feet behind the arc and a guy is right in your face all night.

If we executed on offense like UNI does, and we hustled and played tough defense like UNI does, then we win by 20 pts.

But we don't. We lack most of the fundamentals of good TEAM basketball. So... when we should win by 20, we lose instead.

Either Fred doesn't know how to coach our guys to play like UNI, or our guys just refuse to do it. Either way, it's on Fred. If our guys won't listen, then you HAVE to sit them. The inmates are running the asylum, and Fred won't do anything about it.

Bubu Palo is our best player right now IMO. I know that sounds crazy, but if everyone else played basketball like he does, we'd have no worries... trust me. He should be our starting PG IMO. At least until someone else decides to play with the hustle and defense that he does.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I guess my expectations should be to lose to UNI at home? What the **** are you saying? Yes Fred is in year two, but losing a ten point lead at home and not playing defense is a big problem.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Fred coached a bad game therefore needs to be criticized sorry. Why should he be any different than any other coach? Is it the fact that he is a hometown hero? I love Fred just like the next guy, but the performance this year has been bad. We are not an opposing coaches nightmare at all.

Reactions: BigBake

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Bubu plays hard, but he seems out of control most of the time.
Love his effort though.