WBB: Sooners at Hilton tonight 6:30 p.m. ESPN+

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I had another commitment so I had to listen to the start of the game on CyTV. What was the deal with the over and back?
As a 35 year official, unless it was something other than appeared on the screen it was a horrible call. Defender tipped the ball near half court and it rolled all the way to the backcourt baseline. ISU player retrieved the ball back there and was called for over and back. I don't know if he missed the defender touch or how you make that call.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
As a 35 year official, unless it was something other than appeared on the screen it was a horrible call. Defender tipped the ball near half court and it rolled all the way to the backcourt baseline. ISU player retrieved the ball back there and was called for over and back. I don't know if he missed the defender touch or how you make that call.

From the motions he was making to CBF I think he was indicating that it hit Emily's leg after the OU defender tipped it. I have not seen a replay to see if that was correct or not.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
From the motions he was making to CBF I think he was indicating that it hit Emily's leg after the OU defender tipped it. I have not seen a replay to see if that was correct or not.
Hmm, I am not sure exactly how the rule is worded. Even if the ISU player touches the ball after the defender touch, unless they regain player control it is not over and back (I think). Team control is maintained throughout since neither team had possession but without player control, you don't have a violation. I will have to research the exact rules wording to verify that though, maybe if it merely touches the offensive player without re-establishing control, it is a violation. Which upon further reflection makes some sense as the team remained in possession of the ball and was the last to touch. I have never had this exact situation and would probably not call it since the player control was disrupted.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This is exactly what I was wondering about myself. This is the only way the call makes any sense.
I think that is correct. Also, if the defender touched it and no ISU player touched it before it went out of bounds (example purpose) I think it would be ISU ball. Out of bounds isn't a control-based call.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Exact verbiage in NFHS rules book (Rule 9, Section 9, Article 1): A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

So according to that, yes, if it bounces off of the offensive player and goes into the backcourt, the offense can not be the first to touch it and thus that was a back court violation. The key is team control in the front court, so if player A1 passes the ball from backcourt to front court but the ball is tipped by player B1, strikes player A2 and bounces into the backcourt, team A can retrieve it since there was no team control in the front court.

Learned something today.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron