WBB: Preview of Southern University

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
20-12 last year. SWAC conference (includes Grambling State, Ark-Pine Bluff, Alcorn State...). 152 RPI at the end of the season.

They have yet to play a game this season, so there's not much to go on. They were voted the preseason favorite to win the conference. They won their conference last year and were rewarded with a 16 seed, losing 103-46 to Mississippi State.

Last year they had a very deep rotation. Nobody averaged 30 mpg, and only one averaged over 24 mpg. Their leading scorer had 9.2 ppg.

They have two players taller than 6-1, but both were on the team last year and neither was a factor.

They turned it over a lot last season (over 18 per game). Their three leading assist-makers are gone, two of which were their only players with an A/TO ratio of at least 1.0.

They did not shoot particularly well last year. 39% overall, 29% on threes, and 62% from the line.

Their top returning player is Alyric Scott. She's a 5'10" guard who was nearly their leading scorer (9.1 ppg) and was their leading rebounder (6.1). She is preseason 1st team all-SWAC, the only Southern player honored on a preseason team this year.

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
The game starts at 6:30 according to the ISU women's basketball schedule on the athletic department's website, not 6:00 as listed in the story posted on CF.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I'm torn between two decisions. Maybe ya'll can help me out. Should I subscribe to CTV and watch this game tonight or should I drive down to TX A&M and watch the Aggies take on the USA team at 7:00 ?? Both are very tempting. And if Reed Arena had wi-fi I could have both. But they didn't have it last year so I doubt it's there today.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm torn between two decisions. Maybe ya'll can help me out. Should I subscribe to CTV and watch this game tonight or should I drive down to TX A&M and watch the Aggies take on the USA team at 7:00 ?? Both are very tempting. And if Reed Arena had wi-fi I could have both. But they didn't have it last year so I doubt it's there today.

Quickly upgrade your cell plan to something with enough fast data for the game and THEN do both.

Otherwise, hopefully the A&M game will be more interesting than the ISU game. I'd certainly pick the ISU game myself, but it'd be pretty cool to see the USA team.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like they are giving Maggie every chance to be the 2nd PG. Think the starting PG looks to be Johnson's to lose. I think Washington and Thurmon are going to be like 8 and 9 in the rotation if I had to guess. The redshirt freshman look to be the odd gals out.

• Agree
Reactions: C.John

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I wish I could see more of "Fred", she had a nice few minutes at the end of the game. I'm liking what I see from Jade. Obviously we need a healthy Scott. Joens and Wise are looking really good. ME-M looked a lot better tonight, had the play that drew the biggest response from the crowd when she was called for a charge.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Not much to take away from tonight's game. My few thoughts:

1. Thought neither Nia nor Jade did much to make me feel comfortable about them playing PG against real competition

2. Joens is good (duh)

3. I know it was late and the game was out of hand, but i was impressed with what i saw from Maddie Frederick. While the ball didn't bounce her way tonight, her shot looked good and she seemed to have a decent handle on the ball.

4. We're gonna need another scorer to emerge. Especially if Kristin Scott has to ease back into the rotation / get back in game shape. Joens won't be able to carry this team all by herself (heck Bridget's junior year proved one elite player couldn't do it and Joens isn't at Bridget's level yet).

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

1. Thought neither Nia nor Jade did much to make me feel comfortable about them playing PG against real competition

2. Joens is good (duh)

3. I know it was late and the game was out of hand, but i was impressed with what i saw from Maddie Frederick. While the ball didn't bounce her way tonight, her shot looked good and she seemed to have a decent handle on the ball.

4. We're gonna need another scorer to emerge. Especially if Kristin Scott has to ease back into the rotation / get back in game shape. Joens won't be able to carry this team all by herself (heck Bridget's junior year proved one elite player couldn't do it and Joens isn't at Bridget's level yet).
Pretty much agree. But, I am
Concerned about our ability to handle defense pressure. When they turned up the defense, we did not look too good. I thought Camber played decent. Did not see a box score, but she had a lot of rebounds early. Really need a 100% Scott.
Disappointed in Nez tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Disappointing crowd. We'll know alot more about this team after Sunday. Onto the Bulldogs.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like they are giving Maggie every chance to be the 2nd PG. Think the starting PG looks to be Johnson's to lose. I think Washington and Thurmon are going to be like 8 and 9 in the rotation if I had to guess. The redshirt freshman look to be the odd gals out.

Didn't see anything in the 2nd half to alter my halftime comments. Will add that while I may be counting the redshirts out as having much of a role this year I won't count them out in future seasons.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm afraid to say this (and maybe its the football team rubbing off on me), but without Kristin being 100% for Drake that is going to be a rough go. Drake returns the bulk of their team and at home they could eat us alive if we don't get 2-3 scorers beyond Joens.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I'm afraid to say this (and maybe its the football team rubbing off on me), but without Kristin being 100% for Drake that is going to be a rough go. Drake returns the bulk of their team and at home they could eat us alive if we don't get 2-3 scorers beyond Joens.

Agreed Expect to 1-1 after tomorrow. Hope we can hang around and make me and you wrong at the end

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and ISC

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

I think we have the scorers. It is getting into our offense and running offense to people in position to score without turnovers. Honestly I was really disappointed in Rae's play, and BF having her at the press conference was surprising to me.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

2. Joens is good (duh)

I also think Maddie Frederick has looked good when she has gotten minutes. It looks like she deserves more minutes. She doesn't seem to be flustered by the game lights.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
Golly gee. You all are pessimistic. I saw impressive raw talent and when polished we will be good, not great this year.

Also saw our Bridgette replacement. Love her aggressive play.

Show up at Drake without the turnovers and we win.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Golly gee. You all are pessimistic. I saw impressive raw talent and when polished we will be good, not great this year.

Also saw our Bridgette replacement. Love her aggressive play.

Show up at Drake without the turnovers and we win.

Agree on the turnovers. Don't really think we will see a ton of them. IIRC we had a ton in the 2nd half of the 1st quarter but a lot less after that little ugly run. Drake isn't as fast and pesky as Southern. Better basketball players though. And better coached.

Interesting note from Drake boxscore last year, we only had 11 turnovers. Bridget and Alexa had 10 of them. :eek: They also had 8 of 14 assists.

Bummed I won't be able to see this (out of state guy). Will be a good road game test even if it is only a hop and skip down the road with likely lots of Clones in the stands.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think we have the scorers. It is getting into our offense and running offense to people in position to score without turnovers. Honestly I was really disappointed in Rae's play, and BF having her at the press conference was surprising to me.

This is the first game I have ever seen her get a chance to play through mistakes and she had a bad stretch in the 1st quarter. She's had the quick hook the previous two years, any mistake was a trip to the bench. Maybe easier to do with a non PG but Wise two years ago started and was allowed to play though mistakes. Won't put Joens in the same play through mistakes category since I think she's a different talent level so maybe not relevant.

Looks like Espenmiller-McGraw is getting to play through errors also, getting coached after mistakes and not getting yelled at and benched immediately. I like that approach better. I think I'm going to end up liking her a lot. Will be fun to watch this year.