WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
An obvious one at that. Go Cyclones!
Well then you have yourself a good day. Nothing in my comment was to be negative or chide these ladies in any way. More or less just sucks we had to be the one team not to come through as the higher seed. I am beyond proud of this team of ladies and despite losing last night that thought hasn’t changed one bit. They could have lost in Rd 1 and I would still have been just as proud.

Reactions: CyNews

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Went from a reasonably close game to complete blowout in a matter of minutes. USC is faster and taller…and Creighton…when they get an open look…isn’t hitting.

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
South Carolina playing perimeter defense all in their face with no breathing room. Also making it harder on creighton to make crisp passes on the cuts that ate Iowa state up yesterday. Denying the passing lanes. Why they gave up so much space on perimeter d yesterday I did not understand.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
We did NOT deserve to beat CU the other day. That said, I think we could have given S Carolina a much better game based on the fact that we had lots of experience in playing against physical teams like USC this year. Not sure we would have been able to beat the Gamecocks, but if our shooting was "on" we would have had a chance.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Texas defense is swarming tonight but Stanford now starting to get some backdoor cuts on them.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
South Carolina playing perimeter defense all in their face with no breathing room. Also making it harder on creighton to make crisp passes on the cuts that ate Iowa state up yesterday. Denying the passing lanes. Why they gave up so much space on perimeter d yesterday I did not understand.
There are times where our perimeter d reminded me of this OU-Baylor football game from 2014:

Just giving 3-pt shooters unnecessarily huge cushions.

Reactions: jdolson27

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It’s scary how big AND athletic USC is
South Carolina of the 16 roster players 10 are 6' or taller with a 6'4",6'5" and 6'7" player. Of Creighton's 12 players 5 are 6' or taller tallest is 6'1". There are tall players out there they just end up at schools with a history of going far in the tourney.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
South Carolina of the 16 roster players 10 are 6' or taller with a 6'4",6'5" and 6'7" player. Of Creighton's 12 players 5 are 6' or taller tallest is 6'1". There are tall players out there they just end up at schools with a history of going far in the tourney.

Lot of tall gals. Some are just tall. Some are tall and athletic. Some are tall, athletic and have hoop skills to go with it all. The later, if they've shown that in HS, usually end up at one of the élite schools. And not even having all three makes you are an instant all-star. Look at how high Baylor/LSU's Hannah Gusters was rated (#2 post) and she's been okay but coming along slowly as a sophomore.

Last edited:

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
South Carolina has 11 McDonald's All Americans on their roster this year! For reference, Maryland (another perennial top 10 team) has had 23 McDonald's All Americans in the past 20 years... and Iowa State has had 1... yes, 1 (Lexi Donarski).

Iowa State runs a system and Fennelly recruits for that system and often over achieves with the talent recruited. He (and his coaching team) seldom recruit players east of the Mississippi River or from the West Coast as he is pragmatic on who he can land. To be a consistent top 10 / Elite Eight, you have to regularly be in top 10 recruiting class rankings (which means, likely getting McDonald's All Americans out of high school to come to Iowa State).

I have been a fan of Iowa State women's basketball since the late 70s and can say unabashedly that this year's team was right up there with the Welle/Taylor/Freese teams in terms of being so much fun to watch. Very appreciative of the women's basketball program achievements over Fennelly's incredible tenure. While it is always the desire to win championships (Big 8/12 and NCAA), let's not lose sight of the great success achieved during these years. Would we like to see this level of success every year? Of course, but let's hope this run of greatness extends as the last runs to the Elite Eight were a decade apart.

Looking forward to next year and wishing Ashley the absolute best -- whether she returns or goes to play professionally. Grateful she is a Cyclone and have great appreciation for what a the role model she has been as one the hardest working players in college basketball (men or women) and in Cyclone history.