Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, sort of another cupcake opponent but interesting starting lineup

Nezerwa
Scott
Johnson
Espen-Miller McGraw
Joens

Maggie with three assists and Clones up 9-3 early.

Assuming Wise still out. Edit: Wise in street clothes on bench.

Last edited:

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
This game is a lot more physical than I was expecting.. And the refs for the most part are letting them play

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ines with 14 points so far.

32-20 half way through the 2nd

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Scott is struggling on offense. New Orleans big girl caused us problems for a bit. Rae is playing her A game. Thurmon and Nez looking really good

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
MEM and Joens played all 20 minutes and Johnson with 17, everyone else got subbed in and out.

Johnson has continued her hot hand from three going 3 for 4. Will be huge for the team if she can be on the court as point guard AND be a scoring threat from three come Big 12 play.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
42-23 half score. Still a little close for comfort, but we’re getting better.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I looked and Alabama/ISU will be on SEC Network on Thursday. Might be the first game I've watched on that network.

Alabama beat UNI and lost to USC by three this weekend.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting minutes distribution. MEM 38 min, Johnson 37 min Joens 37 min. I get that usual starter Wise is hurt but still surprised at the minutes, not in bad way.

Hope Scott gets back up to full speed by conference. Might have gotten a little shaken up on one play per Molly.

Stat highlights:
Maggie with 8 assists
Johnson 4-7 from three.
Joens with her usual slow 1st quarter before doing her Joens stuff of scoring and rebounding plus a bunch of steals added today.
Nezewa with some nice scoring via layup and short shots but a bunch of TO's.

Edit: And post game opens with Bill praising Joens and dissing the rest of the team as not showing up. o_O Reminds me of why I don't usually listen to post game talk. Confirmed Scott was shook up some. And Wise doubtful for Thursday.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
BF only brings Joens to the post-game, and proceeded to lead off by saying only Ashley came to play today. Looks like he's found his new Bridget.

Seriously, just change the name. I've never understood this but there is always a player on a pedestal above all of the others that will never be subject to anything but over the top praise. It was Bridget. It was Seanna before that etc. All great players, and likely good role models, but they are not goddesses the rest of the team need to bow to. :(

Johnson and MEM played hard and well for 37/38 minutes and didn't need to be dismissed as "not showing up".

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Seriously, just change the name. I've never understood this but there is always a player on a pedestal above all of the others that will never be subject to anything but over the top praise. It was Bridget. It was Seanna before that etc. All great players, and likely good role models, but they are not goddesses the rest of the team need to bow to. :(

Johnson and MEM played hard and well for 37/38 minutes and didn't need to be dismissed as "not showing up".

Kind of hard to say Ines didnt show up either. She made some turnovers but she played hard and made a ton of great plays.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
https://cyclones.com/sports/womens-basketball

What does coach accomplish dissing the rest of the team? Obviously the color announcer thought Rae and Ines did well.

Just a fan, but New Orleans played tough.

Agreed.. This is one of my biggest complaints about CBF. He has his favorite and everyone knows it. I think we could all say that Ashley starts too slow in first quarters of games.. But will never be told that by CBF. If I were him, id make the others come up and take accountability and answer the press questions after this kind of performance

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
https://cyclones.com/sports/womens-basketball

What does coach accomplish dissing the rest of the team? Obviously the color announcer thought Rae and Ines did well.

Just a fan, but New Orleans played tough.

New Orleans did play tough. Like they didn't understand they were supposed to be a high RPI cupcake for us to scrimmage. I wasn't expecting them to be as bad as Pine Bluff but they surprised me some after the opening run that had their coach benching their starters. Thought we might be on our way to a 30/40 point rout.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
BF only brings Joens to the post-game, and proceeded to lead off by saying only Ashley came to play today. Looks like he's found his new Bridget.
It is my observation this is an old style motivational thing, which is kind of pissant to me.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
A few things I noticed from the box score: MEM's 8 assists to just 2 turnovers today - a big improvement in turnovers, but the scoring dropped to just 2 on 1-6 shooting; UNO's starters combined for 5 points, the other 48 they scored all came from the bench; ISU turned the ball over fewer times than the opponent (yay!); aside from the 5 turnovers, Nezerwa had a really nice stat line today: 21 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks, and 3 steals.

I think Fennelly was irritated at the numerous 'silly' mistakes the team was making and didn't let go of that anger by the time he made it to the press room. Honestly, there were a lot of unforced errors on the part of ISU and I know that really gets his goat. It's not an excuse to say no one showed up but Joens, but it's likely a reason. I thought a lot of them did quite well, in spite of the mistakes. But I don't get to cash the checks that make that call.

They needed to face a team that was going to throw a lot of full-court press at them. It wasn't a great press, but it's good practice for when the press potentially gets faster and taller after the 1st of the year.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
I was disappointed with CBF's comments today after the game... I was excited to listen to Ines talk about her game and basically she was disregarded because she had 2/3 more turnovers than Ashley. Watching the game today, no one could tell me that Ines didn't play her hardest. I really think Kristin getting hurt and Maddie being out has him taking his frustration out on the other players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron