***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
We're entering transfer season, and as I mentioned earlier ISU will likely be looking for 1-year post transfers more than anything else. One has now been added to the list: Mikala Morris, a 4-year player from Quinnipiac. She's only 6'2", but she has averaged 11.3 ppg and 8.4 rpg over her career. She was MAAC all-rookie team as a freshman, 1st-team and defensive POY as a sophomore, and 2nd team as a junior and senior. MAAC is 5 1st, 5 2nd and 5 3rd, so 2nd team is better than you might think.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We're entering transfer season, and as I mentioned earlier ISU will likely be looking for 1-year post transfers more than anything else. One has now been added to the list: Mikala Morris, a 4-year player from Quinnipiac. She's only 6'2", but she has averaged 11.3 ppg and 8.4 rpg over her career. She was MAAC all-rookie team as a freshman, 1st-team and defensive POY as a sophomore, and 2nd team as a junior and senior. MAAC is 5 1st, 5 2nd and 5 3rd, so 2nd team is better than you might think.
why do you say only 1-yr post transfer? If this season proved anything, I think depth there is important.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
why do you say only 1-yr post transfer? If this season proved anything, I think depth there is important.
Because if Diew, Ryan, Donarski, and Izzi all come back for their extra COVID year, we currently have zero open scholarships for the 24-25 season, but we do have two openings for 23-24 (assuming no Soares).

That doesn't mean we won't have a scholarship open up for 24-25, but right now we can't count on that.

Scholarship chart:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Because if Diew, Ryan, Donarski, and Izzi all come back for their extra COVID year, we currently have zero open scholarships for the 24-25 season, but we do have two openings for 23-24 (assuming no Soares).

That doesn't mean we won't have a scholarship open up for 24-25, but right now we can't count on that.

Scholarship chart:
Something will give as we still are recruiting '24-25 HS talent...Bill knows.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

Scholarship chart:
Zingaro is only a redshirt Soph this year, but she's listed as a junior on that scholarship chart. Is there a reason for that that I'm unaware of, considering that Fritz is listed, rightfully so, as a redshirt freshman?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Preface: Morgan Kane played her @ss off in the Big XII Tournament - she was a beast!

Having said that, we need a monster in the middle to match the 6’4 and taller “bigs” the other top 25 schools run out in waves. I’d like to think Izzy could be that player but she’s too nice - the Jones from Texas had a mean streak and we need an infusion of attitude. In short, we don’t need another 6’2 post - we already have Maggie Vick and Audi coming aboard. I say 6’4 or bust…

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Zingaro is only a redshirt Soph this year, but she's listed as a junior on that scholarship chart. Is there a reason for that that I'm unaware of, considering that Fritz is listed, rightfully so, as a redshirt freshman?

She enrolled early at the semester of her HS senior year. She is not a redshirt. She will have a fifth year (COVID) if she wants it. So just like Ryan and Donarski, same class since she came early.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Will be interesting to see how Bill plays this freshman class. On paper I feel all can contribute right away but with number of incoming plus returning core players is well over the 7-8 rotation Bill prefers to play.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
She enrolled early at the semester of her HS senior year. She is not a redshirt. She will have a fifth year (COVID) if she wants it. So just like Ryan and Donarski, same class since she came early.
Tell that to the official site, where she's listed as a redshirt sophomore. My understanding is that since she only played in 3 games that first year, she can get apply for the redshirt.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Tell that to the official site, where she's listed as a redshirt sophomore. My understanding is that since she only played in 3 games that first year, she can get apply for the redshirt.
Technically everyone can redshirt that season since it was the bonus COVID year. Otherwise, since this isn't football, any appearance at all would burn the redshirt. The reason she's listed differently from Ryan and Donarski is because it's always been assumed she'd play five seasons -- I doubt she's graduating in 3.5 years.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Scholarship chart:

I am going to assume that King's scholarship is conditional on them not needing it in a given year. It's not normal for us to be even close to 15 but with the COVID thingie and peeps moving all of the time as portal transfers the 15 seems to be coming into play for us.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Technically everyone can redshirt that season since it was the bonus COVID year. Otherwise, since this isn't football, any appearance at all would burn the redshirt. The reason she's listed differently from Ryan and Donarski is because it's always been assumed she'd play five seasons -- I doubt she's graduating in 3.5 years.
It’s a bit strange as the athletic web site doesn’t post info off of assumptions.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It’s a bit strange as the athletic web site doesn’t post info off of assumptions.
That's not exactly true. Players who are assumed to be getting a medical hardship are usually listed as redshirts even though they don't officially get another season of eligibility until after they've exhausted their four years. Players who do a normal redshirt are listed as a redshirt even though there's no guarantee they'll use that fifth season.

Most places (including ISU) list players on the roster using the assumption that they won't come back for the extra COVID year. Izzy is a special case because the whole reason she enrolled a semester early was because everyone involved knew it wouldn't count against her.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
That's not exactly true. Players who are assumed to be getting a medical hardship are usually listed as redshirts even though they don't officially get another season of eligibility until after they've exhausted their four years. Players who do a normal redshirt are listed as a redshirt even though there's no guarantee they'll use that fifth season.

Most places (including ISU) list players on the roster using the assumption that they won't come back for the extra COVID year. Izzy is a special case because the whole reason she enrolled a semester early was because everyone involved knew it wouldn't count against her.
I’m assuming they are listed as redshirts because they have already been applied for.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Significant defection from Minnesota prior to new coach hire. Not sure if she'd be interested in ISU or if we recruited her before. Probably Michigan bound?

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Significant defection from Minnesota prior to new coach hire. Not sure if she'd be interested in ISU or if we recruited her before. Probably Michigan bound?

Name doesn't ring a bell, so I don't think we recruited her or of high school. But I don't think we recruited Diew out of hs either.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Another name added to the list: Frannie Hottinger, a 6'1" G/F grad transfer from Lehigh. She was the Patriot League POY this year, averaging 20.3 ppg and 9.5 rpg.
She’s another Minnesota kid, leading scorer in Cretin Durham Hall history when she left there, so Iowa wouldn’t be foreign to her. She looks like she could give us a year in the Ashley role while the freshmen transition to Big XII hoops. Is there mutual interest?

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I haven't even seen anything to confirm she's looking to play another year. It does appear everyone assumes that this was her final season at Lehigh.
I’ll temper my enthusiasm appropriately until we hear she wants to play another year.