***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
These gals are not posts, they are forwards. Recruiting a post will still be important. We need a post so they aren't forced to play out of position like Hallie Christofferson had to her senior year.
Love our post players but anyone that watched in KC could see that we were unable to match the physical play of Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
These gals are not posts, they are forwards. Recruiting a post will still be important. We need a post so they aren't forced to play out of position like Hallie Christofferson had to her senior year.
To me anyone in the girls game 6'3 or taller is a post.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Kristin Scott wasn't exactly a natural post either. We certainly have a tradition of playing four guards plus a wing/forward.

Hopefully our freshman posts can develop into solid rotation players -- I'm optimistic both are capable of that once they get more playing time.

To the topic at hand, Brown is another very nice commitment for this class. This isn't quite last year's freshman class, but it's very good. I'll give some more thoughts on her once I find a few videos to watch.

In the meantime, here's a nice feature on her a local tv station did in January: https://www.catchitkansas.com/2022/01/12/rising-star-addy-brown/

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Love our post players but anyone that watched in KC could see that we were unable to match the physical play of Texas.
They certainly could if the physical play resulted in fouls (as it should). I really think the game will go through some sort of reset in the next few years. It has to...the game needs to go back to what it was.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
To the topic at hand, Brown is another very nice commitment for this class. This isn't quite last year's freshman class, but it's very good. I'll give some more thoughts on her once I find a few videos to watch.
I see Addy Brown's Derby HS team lost in the Kansas State 6A Championship game, 40-23. They won their semi-final game 51-49 in double OT. The Derby PG is another Division 1 commit, so there's talent on the squad. It seems they have difficulty scoring points - is Kansas HS girl's basketball as rugged defensively as the Big XII? :)

Reactions: moforisu

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Roster management will be a little difficult next year. My spreadsheet shows 12 scholarship players in 22-23, but that's only because I won't remove Ashley until she confirms she's not returning (which is what I'm assuming her choice will be). That gives us only 11 scholarship players, but we may not have much room to add any transfers who are planning to stick around more than one season due to the roster situation in 23-24, especially if we pick up Crooks, Williams, or anyone else in the 2023 class.

In short, I bet the coaches are looking hard at portal players who have one season of eligibility left.

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Jordao came in as a Center/Forward. Kane is a Forward.

I Don't know who I'd take of the remaining talents we are after as Brown and Bristow fill needs and are among if not the highest rated.

Crooks as a center would be an intriguing presence. I though Crooks was saying she was committing after the Iowa Girls' Tourney culminated.

Williams wants to be a Hawk is what I read.

Last edited:

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
Roster management will be a little difficult next year. My spreadsheet shows 12 scholarship players in 22-23, but that's only because I won't remove Ashley until she confirms she's not returning (which is what I'm assuming her choice will be). That gives us only 11 scholarship players, but we may not have much room to add any transfers who are planning to stick around more than one season due to the roster situation in 23-24, especially if we pick up Crooks, Williams, or anyone else in the 2023 class.

In short, I bet the coaches are looking hard at portal players who have one season of eligibility left.
What are you hearing on Crooks?
Does ISU like its chances?