Way too Early Season Prediction Thread

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I like your enthusiasm and confidence OP, but I hope you're not (and others) aren't actually expecting 7 wins in Campbell's first season. I'm trying to temper expectations because people have no right to be upset this first season if a 3 win team doesn't suddenly win 7 games! Basically, I'm trying to be the wet blanket on CF's inevitable gasoline fire.

I would be happy with 4 to 5 wins. If I had to predict, I would say 4 wins (UNI, SJSU, K State, KU/TTU). Our offensive line will be a huge part in whether or not this season is successful and that unit is really questionable.

Nope - just expecting 6 regular season wins and a bowl win!

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Bobby LaGesse said in his podcast 2-5 wins. Is it just me or does anybody else find him overly pessimistic? I think he's about the only ISU writer I don't follow on Twitter.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
I'm seeing 5-7, if I had to guess games:

Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa, home -- Win

Sat, Sep 10 Iowa, away -- Loss

Sat, Sep 17 TCU, away -- Loss

Sat, Sep 24 San Jose State, home -- Win

Sat, Oct 01 Baylor, home -- Loss

Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- Loss

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- Loss

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State, home -- Loss

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- Loss

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- Win

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- Win

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- Win

That would be very interesting, there would be a lot of grumbling at 2-7, but people would be right back on board after that finish to get to 5-7.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Healthy Oline with a couple young players to step in and really perform and maybe we can get to 7 or 8 wins. With our Oline that could easily slip to 3 wins. I think the exuberance of this staff has us finishing strong so my final answer is 6-6 with a bowl win to get to 7-6.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Bobby LaGesse said in his podcast 2-5 wins. Is it just me or does anybody else find him overly pessimistic? I think he's about the only ISU writer I don't follow on Twitter.

I find the idea of 2 wins ridiculously pessimistic. Could it happen? Oh, sure. Beat UNI and San Jose, but nothing else (or maybe a bad NC loss and a win over Kansas). And that's without finding a way to win at least another one that's *possible* (Iowa, Tech, WVU, for example)

If 5 is his top-threshold, that isn't out of line (a lot of guesses in this thread have ISU at 5-7).

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I'm going to say 4-5 wins this year, leaning toward the 4.

I would say we should beat UNI, SJSU and Kansas. I'm hoping we win a couple out of the games against iowa, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and West Virginia.

That said:
Iowa...We were in the game until 2:00 something left in the game last year. It will come down to the trenches. Whichever team controls the lines and turnovers wins the game.
Oklahoma State...They have the best WRs returning in the conference, but can they run the ball at all is the question. They lost some big time talent along their DL, so hopefully we can pound the rock at them and keep their offense on the sideline.
Oklahoma...is a not a chance.
Kansas St...will be improved just knowing who their QB will be week in and week out. Their WR that tore up the spring game looks dangerous. The Old Man has had our number for decades and I would like to see that end this year.
Baylor...will be good, but teams that can hold onto the ball and maybe get a turnover or two against them will have a shot.
Texas...will go as their FR QB Buechele goes, but they will be improved this year.
TCU...is one that I'm interested to see. They are replacing pretty much all of their offensive skill positions, will it be seamless, bumpy, or what? We get them early, so hopefully it's a very rocky transition for the young guys. Patterson will always have a tough D though. Since it is the third game, it will be HOT in Ft. Worth for that one, our OL better be in shape because they will eat up our two deep.
Texas Tech...will be even better offensively this year, but that defense is horrible. If their D was even average they could contend for the conference, but it isn't so...
West Virginia...Will be interested to see if Holgersen goes back to the air attack since Smallwood went pro. They got a transfer QB from Florida that should help their offense this year. They lost some DBs, but that defense is still set up to be pretty tough. They just play better at home than on the road, and getting them between their games against OU and Baylor could help us out as well.

I'm hoping for two wins out of that bunch. Iowa, West Virginia and Kansas State are the games that I see us having a chance to pull the upset.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I agree, that it is way too early to even begin to think about results. I think the defense has a chance to be decent. The offense is all dependent on whether an OL can be made of what little size and talent is on hand. I will say 4-5 wins. More than that and Campbell is better than I expect. Last year's coaching staff absolutely lost a couple games, but they also had more numbers on an OL, which was not horrible at run blocking.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
5-7. Feel like we win at Texas. I think they have another bad year. Other wins will be UNI, San Jose State, Kansas, and Kansas State.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree, that it is way too early to even begin to think about results. I think the defense has a chance to be decent. The offense is all dependent on whether an OL can be made of what little size and talent is on hand. I will say 4-5 wins. More than that and Campbell is better than I expect. Last year's coaching staff absolutely lost a couple games, but they also had more numbers on an OL, which was not horrible at run blocking.

The size is there, the experience is not. But we aren't undersized IMO. The only one who would be is Good-Jones if he ends up starting at center.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So it's pure guessing at this point. Even so, I'm making my picks:

Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa, home -- win

Sat, Sep 10 Iowa, away -- Win

Sat, Sep 17 TCU, away -- loss

Sat, Sep 24 San Jose State, home -- Win

Sat, Oct 01 Baylor, home -- loss

Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State (Homecoming), home (duh!) -- Win

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- loss

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- Win

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- Win

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- Win

Yes, ISU finally breaks
through against K-State. Bill Snyder knew CPR better than CPR knew himself. I think the "new guy" will throw a few curve-balls that the "old man" won't expect. There are a few "should win" games, and about an equal number of 50/50 games. Seven and five, plus a bowl game.

This is the VERY best case scenario IMO. You have us winning basically every toss up game. I think 7 wins is the very best we could do.

More than likely, it will be about 4 or 5 wins.... hopefully.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I wouldn't get too sold on the fact that K-State should be an easy homecoming win. They had alot of injuries to starters in their defensive secondary last year. They also were down to their 3rd string quarterback and were using a converted wide receiver last year. With even a competent passing threat they could have easiy won 2 or 3 more games.

Also, I dont see them winning in Iowa City. This isnt the Jake Rudock/Vandenberg inept vanill offense we've seen the last 2 trips to Kinnick. I expect a result similiar to last season 27-13 or something along those lines with CJ Beathard returning.

Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa, home -- win 31-17

Sat, Sep 10 Iowa, away -- loss 13-27

Sat, Sep 17 TCU, away -- loss 24-42

Sat, Sep 24 San Jose State, home -- Win 27-21

Sat, Oct 01 Baylor, home -- loss 21-51

Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- loss 27-45

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- loss 20-24

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State (Homecoming), loss 21-24

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- loss 20-48

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- Win 45-21

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- Win 48-40

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- win 31-27

I guess I have us going 5-7, 3-6 in conference. Thats a good start in Campbells first year.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Starting the season 3-6 would be a decent start because the last three games of the year are potentially winnable. Just give us a reason to have hope for a bowl game in all 12 games this year. Could be fun to be at JTS for Senior Day vs. WVU if we're 5-6 and playing for a bowl.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
My realistic thought is 5-7. Remember the last time we had two bad seasons and then a coaching change, Rhoads got us to a bowl game. Players may have a better attitude with new leadership and work harder. The results can be great, but we could just show small improvements and miss the mark and end up with 4-5 wins. I still think 5 wins is likely, but 6 or 7 possible.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
With coaching changes the first couple games are typically sketchy. Starting 0-2 would be unbearable, due to who the games are against, but really only an indication the players are learning a new system. Given our history, how does anyone overlook the purple Hawks in this scenario. A win in game one would be an indicator that Campbell staff is as good as it looks.

I really like the way Campbell is running the program. In the first year I can see anywhere from 2 to 6 wins. Prediction in the middle at four and eight.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron