Way Too Early Look at 2021

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
I feel like 10-2 is a realistic expectation if they stay relatively healthy.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Depending on how things are going with COVID, I see ISU fans invading Las Vegas. I could see many fans treating that game as the bowl game trip they couldn’t make.
could we see 20k or more make that trip?
What's not to like...cheap airfare, a crap ton on hotel options, relatively cheap ticket in a state of the art arena, football, cyclone fans, shows, etc...I'm in!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I feel like 10-2 is a realistic expectation if they stay relatively healthy.

9-3 or 10-2 is likely with an outside shot at 11-1. Part of the reason for that is I think the conference will be much stronger top to bottom this year, with WVU making a push to be in the top 3. I also expect the Texas teams to be much better. With the exception of Texas themselves (depending on Sarks hires and transfers in/out).

The only team that could be worse is KSU. I have no idea WTF is going on there.

Reactions: Run Faster

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If the S&C coach can add 20 lbs of muscle to Will McDonald, he could be a first or second round pick next year. Hard to succeed as an edge rusher at the next level at 225. Would also help with his consistency (in all situations) while he's still here. If he comes back at the same weight I will be extremely disappointed.

Reactions: DurangoCy

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
If the S&C coach can add 20 lbs of muscle to Will McDonald, he could be a first or second round pick next year. Hard to succeed as an edge rusher at the next level at 225. Would also help with his consistency (in all situations) while he's still here. If he comes back at the same weight I will be extremely disappointed.

I got looking at the roster on Saturday and Will has one of the most "freak" profiles I've ever seen. I think the 6'4" high jump set it over the top for me. I knew about the discuss, but those are two very different events.
I agree that a 20lb to 30lb heavier Will McDonald is frightening in a good way.

Chose Iowa State over Minnesota and Baylor … three-star recruit by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN … ranked as a top-five player in Wisconsin by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN … ranked as the 46th-best weakside defensive end by 247Sports … 2017 WFCA first-team all-state selection … two-time all-region selection … tallied 61 tackles, 20.0 TFL, 12.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery as a senior … against Oconomowoc, had 12 tackles, 7.0 TFL and 4.0 sacksalso caught seven passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns … posted 69 tackles, 20.5 TFL and 11.5 sacks as a junior … also lettered in basketball, track and field and baseball … named the 2018 Classic 8 Player of the Year in basketball, averaging 18.3 points and 12.8 rebounds … was the Division I state track & field discus champion with a toss of 179-9 and was third in the high jump (6-4) … coached by Matt Harris.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I've been to games in Stillwater, Lawrence, and Manhattan (not all in the same year), so figured '21 was a good year to start knocking off the other Big 12 Stadiums. I'm going to try for the away destinations I haven't been to in '22.

Lubbock isn't impossible from central IA - we drove it a month ago for my wife's graduation (I told her if she was getting her masters from TTU, she had to at least visit campus once!) Took us ~12hrs. The stretch between Wichita Falls and Lubbock was pretty barren. It was just getting dark, didn't seem like a great place to get stranded.

Not to completely derail the thread - a couple buddies and I have started planning to attend classic college football rivalry games. We have a few "rules" (like we always cheer for the home team, try to pick a game that doesn't impact our personal fandom, etc.) We're trying for Army/Navy next year. I'll probably start a whole new thread when we actually get around to doing it. All started last fall when my buddy invited me to the Rutgers game at Kinnick. He's been to JTS w/ me a couple times in the last two years. Even tho we root for different teams, we love CFB and can be civil and a great time at games!

That's awesome, I need to starting talking my buddies into these types of trips.
I think Lubbock is 8-9 hours from me, so not bad.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
But all of the home/away sites stayed the same as the original/pre-COVID schedule. Only the dates changed.
I’m just saying that ‘20 was another anomaly. Given that so few fans (if at all) were able to attend games, who knows how they’ll decide to treat the home-and-homes?

I’m not going to make any assumptions until they’re announced—which shouldn’t be that long anyway.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
I've been to games in Stillwater, Lawrence, and Manhattan (not all in the same year), so figured '21 was a good year to start knocking off the other Big 12 Stadiums. I'm going to try for the away destinations I haven't been to in '22.

Lubbock isn't impossible from central IA - we drove it a month ago for my wife's graduation (I told her if she was getting her masters from TTU, she had to at least visit campus once!) Took us ~12hrs. The stretch between Wichita Falls and Lubbock was pretty barren. It was just getting dark, didn't seem like a great place to get stranded.

Not to completely derail the thread - a couple buddies and I have started planning to attend classic college football rivalry games. We have a few "rules" (like we always cheer for the home team, try to pick a game that doesn't impact our personal fandom, etc.) We're trying for Army/Navy next year. I'll probably start a whole new thread when we actually get around to doing it. All started last fall when my buddy invited me to the Rutgers game at Kinnick. He's been to JTS w/ me a couple times in the last two years. Even tho we root for different teams, we love CFB and can be civil and a great time at games!
Just curious, where have you stayed when you’ve gone to Stillwater? I’d love to gl this year, but hotels look limited. Didn’t know if you had any luck with Airbnb/VRBO

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Just curious, where have you stayed when you’ve gone to Stillwater? I’d love to gl this year, but hotels look limited. Didn’t know if you had any luck with Airbnb/VRBO
Why did you have to bring this back from the dead… now I have to be reminded of last years expectations yet again.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDegen and ZZZ

Help Support Us

Become a patron