was isu ever in the running for marcus paige?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
looks like we offered, did he humor isu or even iowa? or was he seeming going to one of the big dogs of CBB from the get go? dude looks solid. shame to let talent like that leave the state.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
IIRC he was an early UNC commit and stayed solid the whole time.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Hawks claim they almost had him. Have to think if he was a senior in HS now it would be a real battle between us for him

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I think he was a lot closer to going to Iowa than he ever was Iowa State.
From what I heard from someone that went to high school with him it was actually the opposite. But he never really seriously considered either.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Besides North Carolina he put down Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Virginia. I think he mentioned Iowa just to be respectful since he was from Marion. No ISU wasn't an option. Going to the NBA D-league North Carolina Tar Heels was a smart move.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
North Carolina was his dream from the time was a little kid. Literally took the offer the same day Roy made it.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Both teams had sucked for a while and had new coaches that hadn't proved themselves yet. So, even if he wasn't always going to UNC, there wasn't much reason for him to stay in state if he wasn't a crazy fan of either team.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I always got the feeling Paige never considered us early on because we had G Mac. I think you could say the same for Iowa before Fran. I think had Fred and Fran been in place when he was in 8th and 9th grade might have been more of a battle, but who knows.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I believe GMac offered him when Paige was in 9th grade, but nothing ever transgressed

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Paige was a lifelong UNC fan, other schools only would have been considered had there not been a UNC offer. He has been on record saying he cheers for Iowa over ISU.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Do you 'spose UNC would trade Paige for the Iowan who picked the Hoks instead of them ?

Only if you threw in a weekend package for Coach Williams out at Prairie Meadows. It would be awesome to have Paige but he's no dummy. UNC is one of the elite programs in the country that prepares and funnels kids to the NBA. Woodbury IMO should of went to UNC, Duke or Kansas which would of developed him MUCH better for the next level (if that's even possible) then what Iowa is doing now.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I dont follow hs ball that much and I did hear his name from time to time but he didnt seem to be that big a deal coming out of high school am I right (aside from his 34th ranking)? or is it because he committed to UNC so early we just forgot about him?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Think Fred is going to add ISU to that list of "NBA-pre" programs? Would that be a good or a bad thing if he did? Not saying we are at that level, at all, but I wonder given his credentials in the medium-term...

I really wonder what would have happened with Barnes or Paige if they were in high school *now* with Fred and Fran coming at them. I definitely get not wanting to hang around Lick or McDormat, but I would have to think Mr. Barnes would have found playing under a former NBA player/front office guy with one of the best shots in the history of the game pretty interesting. It's just two years until the draft, after all.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Think Fred is going to add ISU to that list of "NBA-pre" programs? Would that be a good or a bad thing if he did? Not saying we are at that level, at all, but I wonder given his credentials in the medium-term...

I really wonder what would have happened with Barnes or Paige if they were in high school *now* with Fred and Fran coming at them. I definitely get not wanting to hang around Lick or McDormat, but I would have to think Mr. Barnes would have found playing under a former NBA player/front office guy with one of the best shots in the history of the game pretty interesting. It's just two years until the draft, after all.

I think he already is, at least for those players that are just trying to get their foot in the door (ie transfers and jucos) as opposed to one and done types. I think he's seen as someone that can get players a chance that they may not have gotten otherwise.

If this kind of reputation is real (and I'm not just imagining it) it's awesome; anyone can get top 10 HS kids to the NBA. Having experienced and talented players that just need that extra push over the hump wanting to come here year after year in order to make the league would be great (or already is great?).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron