Warm bedroom due to sun location - will this do anything?

Where should I put the fan?

• Total voters

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You guys that set your thermostat in the 60s, do you call and complain about your electric bill each month? Jeesh. The recommended setting is like 78. We set ours at 77-78 and crank up the ceiling fans.

Yeah, if I tried to do that, I'd never sleep again. I can tolerate like 75-78 during the day, but I have to have the temperature at 68 or lower to be able to sleep comfortably. I expect to actually use sheets/blankets, not just use them to make the room look nice and then kick them off the bed.

• Winner
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Place a middle aged post-menopausal woman like my wife in there, and you will be reaching for the blanket in no time.

Reactions: BCClone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
You guys that set your thermostat in the 60s, do you call and complain about your electric bill each month? Jeesh. The recommended setting is like 78. We set ours at 77-78 and crank up the ceiling fans.
That sounds awful. I would gladly spend the money to not be miserable every night

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
A few options to consider

-Install a minisplit
-Install an in-wall AC unit. Like a window unit, but permanently installed in the wall
-Portable AC unit

Any of these will cool down your room.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
Not your exact same problem but we have a couple of rooms that don't cool very well, mostly since they are at the end of the duct runs. One of them is my office which is on the SW corner of the house. I put a fairly strong desk fan over the air duct blowing up into the room. The boost of the fan pulling the air through the duct made a big difference, without any major vent or AC unit changes.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I grew up without AC. Had a house when I was single and I never turned the AC while living there. You get used to it.

So did I. But I spend 9 hours a day inside, at a desk, with the temperature at about 70-71. For the last 10+ years

If I try to set my home anywhere above 73 or 74 my body can't cope. :(

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
A few options to consider

-Install a minisplit
-Install an in-wall AC unit. Like a window unit, but permanently installed in the wall
-Portable AC unit

Any of these will cool down your room.

The portable AC units do a pretty good job of cooling down problem spots. If you get one, make sure you get the kind that will vaporize the water so you don't have to worry about drainage from it. Although being Phoenix, I can't image you'd get too much condensation off of it.

isualums

Jan 9, 2018
Move you thermostat to your bedroom. Most likely the wiring is run through the attic. It should be an easy move. When we built our house we put the upstairs thermostat in the hallway outside the bedrooms but had an extra wire run to the master for when the kids leave just for that issue. Any HVAC guy should be able to fix that for a couple hundred dollars or less.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So did I. But I spend 9 hours a day inside, at a desk, with the temperature at about 70-71. For the last 10+ years

If I try to set my home anywhere above 73 or 74 my body can't cope. :(
I'm the opposite, I spend a good chunk of my time outside. Usually have a tractor that will dump it's AC during planting and I will have a sweat box for a week.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron