The big sec will think themselves great
NFL three years to draft to one year to draft
Stealing what the big sec thought
They will be then left to nought

Amazing!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So how does Oregon have so many GD fans pop up? It is branding and it still works.

Yeah, I'm not sure Ohio State has that branding. When I lived in Chicago the Ohio State fans I saw were actually from Ohio or actually went to Ohio State. LeBron isn't an Ohio State fan because he thinks they have a cool logo or he picked them as a cool team from the entire country. He grew up in Ohio. They do have a lot of fans because I think it's the 7th most populated state and one school dominates...I just don't see them as having this national appeal like the Jordan Bulls, Cowboys, Yankees, etc. Really I don't think any college team has that, closest is Notre Dame and that peaked in the 90s.

I mean how many kids outside Ohio grow up just being Ohio State fans? I think people like that who randomly pick a team are far more likely to pick a pro sports team. I had NHL Penguins gear when I was a kid because I liked the logo, I picked them in video game hockey because they won at that time, but it's not like I was really some big fan. My math teacher from Pittsburgh outed me as a bandwagon fan by asking me who the goalie was in class. I'm sure that's a lot of Ducks gear.

I would love to see them try a move like that though, maybe they are right. I'd have loved to have seen Texas try it. They'd suck even worse than they do now.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
So how does Oregon have so many GD fans pop up? It is branding and it still works.
Phil Knight.... Nike created the Oregon brand, not to mention outside of football their Olympic sports are world class. Oregon is a unique situation compared to OSU just being the big man on campus for midwestern football along with ND and Michigan.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Phil Knight.... Nike created the Oregon brand, not to mention outside of football their Olympic sports are world class. Oregon is a unique situation compared to OSU just being the big man on campus for midwestern football along with ND and Michigan.
If you had to pick one state that is and was the heart of football, it is Ohio. Even Pro Football Hall there. It just is what it is.

• Haha
  • Dumb
Reactions: jctisu and JP4CY

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Ohio State and the like will leave behind the tiny Northwesterns/Vanderbilts and the medium Iowas/Arkansas and won’t think twice about doing it. That day is coming
It sure feels like the big dogs will continually shed the hangers-on. The SEC and Big 10 have been the centers of gravity for the past decade because they've had the most money. Those two conferences could be picky about who they wanted to let in, and anybody who had the option to join would be passing up a lot of money to say no.

Eventually, the SEC and Big 10 money won't be enough for the top programs. They'll look at the numbers and realize that half the conference is contributing less than average. I don't think conferences will start booting members, but what's happened to the Big 12, ACC and Pac 12 will happen to the SEC and Big 10 - the top teams will leave for greener pastures.

Question for the other thread, but what's the ideal size of the Super Conference? 48? 32? 16? 8? 2?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's just more proof that the Grant of Rights mean nothing and they will be thrown out as soon as anybody challenges them.

There are no long term commitments.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I blame millennials because it's fun to blame millennials. I could blame boomers because they are fun to blame too but I choose millennials because they trigger easier about this type of comment.

Gen X rocks! Just like the heavy metal hair bands we listened to growing up.

van-halen.gif

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
If you had to pick one state that is and was the heart of football, it is Ohio. Even Pro Football Hall there. It just is what it is.
Texas, Florida, Georgia and California would like a word. Less I mention Alabama where the entire town of Hoover cares more about football than anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Modern FB I would go with TX, high school stadiums nicer than small college stadiums, more videos of 300 # men slapping Jr high kids around because of missed tackles than any other state, and every college having a hand signal for their Fandom. Them folks love FB in TX.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Modern FB I would go with TX, high school stadiums nicer than small college stadiums, more videos of 300 # men slapping Jr high kids around because of missed tackles than any other state, and every college having a hand signal for their Fandom. Them folks love FB in TX.

Grown men claiming horns down hand signal is offensive harassment with a straight face.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron