Wait, tOSU almost went independent?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
What a domino this would have been.

Sure because of the pandemic and BIG TEN almost cancelling the season. I think it was fairly well known then that OSU was thinking about disobeying.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
This realignment drama is awesome for college football. Makes the off-season much more exciting!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sure because of the pandemic and BIG TEN almost cancelling the season. I think it was fairly well known then that OSU was thinking about disobeying.
Please elaborate on when you say "fairly well known." Not message board chatter but something that would be comparable to Smith talking about it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ohio State and the like will leave behind the tiny Northwesterns/Vanderbilts and the medium Iowas/Arkansas and won’t think twice about doing it. That day is coming

Nebraska will go from demanding unequal revenue sharing, to leaving conference because they got the unequal revenue sharing they demanded, to joining a league with equal revenue sharing, to forced back into unequal revenue sharing knowing this time they are 8th or 9th fiddle at best, to possibly left behind for break away super league.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nebraska will go from demanding unequal revenue sharing, to leaving conference because they got the unequal revenue sharing they demanded, to joining a league with equal revenue sharing, to forced back into unequal revenue sharing knowing this time they are 8th or 9th fiddle at best, to possibly left behind for break away super league.
Honestly if you combine football and basketball prowess right now Nebraska might be the worst B1G school.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am an idiot. I read that as okie st not Ohio st. Carry on, brother.

You might still be right.

There are only like 11 million people in Ohio and I don't think random people around the entire country wake up one day and say "I'm a Buckeye now!".

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Honestly if you combine football and basketball prowess right now Nebraska might be the worst B1G school.

Lowest population state (By a significant margin) in a somewhat remote location that isn't a recruiting hotbed. Also lost their balloons.

Reactions: BigTurk

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Top 10 most ego-driven schools should just all form their own NFL lite (ND,OSU,Tex,Bama,etc).

The remaining power 5 schools should all band together, negotiate tv deals together, form a college football playoff together, and then play geographic rivals!
Give it time, that is what will happen. Probably closer to 20 schools than 10 though.

I would guess top 24:
Mich, OSU, PSU, MSU, Wisky, Nebby
Bama, Auburn, Florida, GA, Tex, OU, Tenn, LSU, A&M, Arky
Clemson, FSU, Miami, ND
USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW

If the rest become the "real" college football with about 50 teams, regionally sorted out, I would be 100% ok with that.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Please elaborate on when you say "fairly well known." Not message board chatter but something that would be comparable to Smith talking about it.
There were all kinds of rumors out there back then that Ohio State was going to disobey and try to go it alone with the Big Ten cancelled the season. You can google, but it was well known and I have no doubt was part of the reason Warren then caved.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"THE THE Conference"

You're welcome for the free branding.

Actually I'm a huge fan of 80s New Wave band "The The".
1656698380594.jpeg

Reactions: clonedude

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There were all kinds of rumors out there back then that Ohio State was going to disobey and try to go it alone with the Big Ten cancelled the season. You can google, but it was well known and I have no doubt was part of the reason Warren then caved.
Well known that tOSU was going to leave the B1G, become an independent, and get their own TV deal?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Well known that tOSU was going to leave the B1G, become an independent, and get their own TV deal?
When a major university states they won't obey the conference you can read heavily between the lines there. I am sure that was a major reason Warren eventually caved and allowed a season.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
You might still be right.

There are only like 11 million people in Ohio and I don't think random people around the entire country wake up one day and say "I'm a Buckeye now!".
So how does Oregon have so many GD fans pop up? It is branding and it still works.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When a major university states they won't obey the conference you can read heavily between the lines there. I am sure that was a major reason Warren eventually caved and allowed a season.
Nebraska and OSU still wanted to play football. That's a hell of a lot different than saying they are going to leave the conference, become an independent, and get their own TV deal.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I know what you're saying but Rutgers is the worst BIG school. In fact, Rutgers would be the worst SEC, BIG 12, and PAC 12 school. It would be bottom four in the ACC.