Vitale's Preseason Top 40

RWhite30

Jul 29, 2011
Vitale never really seems to do to well on Predictions like these. Her chooses teams based on talent and not other things like chemistry and coaching

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
True.
Rememeber when we won the Big 12 and the Big 12 tourney and got handed a 2 seed?!
I dont rememeber what Texas, OKie and KU were ranked that year but the powers that be must have thought the Big 12 was down that year. Winning the conference and the tourney and only getting a 2 seed is beyond ridiculous.
Some of that would be a lack of national respect for ISU, but more of it had to be the perception of the Big 12 that year.

They should have been a #1 over who? Eventual national champions Michigan State? No. Duke who was #1 in the AP and the Coaches poll? No. Stanford who had only lost 3 games? No. Arizona who was #2 in the AP and coaches and also only lost 3 games?

Iowa State could have been a #1, but it wasn't a joke they weren't. The tournament committee thought ISU was a top 8 team in the nation, and probably more like a top 6 team.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
They should have been a #1 over who? Eventual national champions Michigan State? No. Duke who was #1 in the AP and the Coaches poll? No. Stanford who had only lost 3 games? No. Arizona who was #2 in the AP and coaches and also only lost 3 games?

Iowa State could have been a #1, but it wasn't a joke they weren't. The tournament committee thought ISU was a top 8 team in the nation, and probably more like a top 6 team.

Good post.

There's still the retrospective second-guessing (people seem to forget how insane the March Madness-madness was that season). When the field was announced, it seemed just about right, to me.

Granted, if we were used to getting high bids on a frequent basis, and actually assessed the resume as it would have applied to high-profile programs, one could argue that it was a seeding-snub (throw out the Drake loss, a Power 6 team that won its regular season and conference title, wins over two 3 seeds (one in OT on the road) and one other road loss in OT) --- if ISU was named Kansas, it would have been a 1-seed lock).

However: getting a 2 instead of a 1 was only a "curse" because of the regional placement.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have no beef with the highest ranked Big 12 team at #15 I am not positive I would say that team would be Kansas. They lost a lot of talent with the Morris twins and Selby going to the NBA. I'm also not sold on Baylor being #16 either, they have the talent but they did last year too and underachieved. I think Texas A&M is the sleeper pick to win the conference actually. Based on reputation Kansas and Texas are always going to be picked top 4 in the conference because they replace talent well and are consistent but I think with all the top talent in the conference that went pro it's anyone's conference to win till we see what all the new talent in the league can do. I'm not shocked 1 bit we didn't make the top 40 and I wouldn't put us there either till we see what we can do.