Video from Media Availability and a Kysen Terukina Update

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Hey crew,

Here is video from today. Please find also the shortened clip where Coach Dresser talks about Kysen Terukina in my tweet.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
For those who can't wait, Dresser was non-committal as to whether Terukina wrestles on Sunday. So, it remains: we'll see.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I really appreciate how forthright Dresser is. He guides his wrestlers, but expects them to handle themselves accordingly. He stands by Terukina . . . and lets him deal with the consequences of his actions.

I'm still a big Terukina fan. Hoping this all works for his good.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I made similar mistakes when I was his age. I hope he does some introspection, learns from this, and maxes out the rest of his career and life.
Every time these things happen I'm reminded of the video below. Now, I realize not all transgressions are the same and I realize Kysens initial crime could have ended very badly, but the results were a mistake.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I appreciate Dresser's candor.
The initial Daily article didn't say what the probation violation was, so it's good to hear it wasn't a willful criminal act. He's simply a young man still learning to juggle serious responsibilities. Not sufficiently attempting to contact your parole officer, while serious and punishable, is better than getting another OWI or driving with a revoked license charge.

Everyone needs to be allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

I hope he keeps learning.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I appreciate Dresser's candor.
The initial Daily article didn't say what the probation violation was, so it's good to hear it wasn't a willful criminal act. He's simply a young man still learning to juggle serious responsibilities. Not sufficiently attempting to contact your parole officer, while serious and punishable, is better than getting another OWI or driving with a revoked license charge.

Everyone needs to be allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

I hope he keeps learning.
the court of public opinion will disagree with this a lot of the time, unfortunately.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
the court of public opinion will disagree with this a lot of the time, unfortunately.
True.
Though I do think there are definite differences between dumb@$$ kid stuff like this and predatory offenses that tend to run a bit deeper and require more severe repercussions and intentional actions to reform.

An OWI is serious and can end tragically, but when impaired, it's easy to think, "Bah, I'm fine to drive." It's also just as easy learn never to drink and drive again after getting arrested, unless the offender is a true addict.

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
True.
Though I do think there are definite differences between dumb@$$ kid stuff like this and predatory offenses that tend to run a bit deeper and require more severe repercussions and intentional actions to reform.

An OWI is serious and can end tragically, but when impaired, it's easy to think, "Bah, I'm fine to drive." It's also just as easy learn never to drink and drive again after getting arrested, unless the offender is a true addict.
He has two OWIs. Might not be as easy as you think

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
I think the 2nd one got dismissed
Someone feel free to correct me but what I gathered from the reports I read was the he has 2 OWI's. He technically got a third one in 2023 when he got pulled over and got hit with also driving with a revoked license but they dropped the OWI charge and gave him probation for the driving with a revoked license. Which is why he's on probation today.

Regardless, that was a year ago. Sounds to me like Kysen just may not have taken it seriously when the PO gave him very clear deadlines and dates. Which I understand when you're younger you may not always realize you HAVE to be serious about those things. It is what it is I guess. From a wrestling standpoint, when I looked up the student handbook Kysen has no reason to not be able to just finish out the season and doesn't sound like Dresser is in a bad place with him either.

I will praise Dresser as we do often that he just gives it to us straight and doesn't really beat around the bush which makes my job easier. haha

Reactions: NWICY

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Someone feel free to correct me but what I gathered from the reports I read was the he has 2 OWI's. He technically got a third one in 2023 when he got pulled over and got hit with also driving with a revoked license but they dropped the OWI charge and gave him probation for the driving with a revoked license. Which is why he's on probation today.

Regardless, that was a year ago. Sounds to me like Kysen just may not have taken it seriously when the PO gave him very clear deadlines and dates. Which I understand when you're younger you may not always realize you HAVE to be serious about those things. It is what it is I guess. From a wrestling standpoint, when I looked up the student handbook Kysen has no reason to not be able to just finish out the season and doesn't sound like Dresser is in a bad place with him either.

I will praise Dresser as we do often that he just gives it to us straight and doesn't really beat around the bush which makes my job easier. Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 11.09.10 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 11.09.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 11.09.49 AM.png He has been charged with OWI 3 times and found guilty once by a plea deal. First one exonerated by a jury trial 2nd one he pled to 3rd one dismissed by the court

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron