Vet advice

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
As a last resort I am coming to this board for some help.

My wife and I have a 4 year old black lab. In December she started getting sick and not eating. After some tests and surgery we were told it was lymphoma in the GI tract. There wasn't much that they could do for it. She was still in good spirits and with the help of Prednisone she got her appetite back, along with some of her old habits. Good and bad.

The last few weeks have been tough. She's been losing her hair. My wife and I have been preparing ourself for the inevitable. Within the past 42-72 hours she has lost strength in her hind legs. She's barely able to get up the two steps into our house after she's been outside.

She's always been a "daddy's girl" and the final decision will be mine. We were hoping that she'd jsut go in her slepp, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. We don't have kids and this is killing me. She's the first dog that was truly "mine." I'm afraid that my attachment to her is just going to delay what I know needs to be done.

The following question has nothing to do with money, but with comfort. She's a nervous dog that doesn't like to leave the yard. Taking her to the vet has always been a traumatic experience for her. So, is there a HUMANE way that we can do this at home? We have all of her pain medicine (Tramadol 50mg) left over from the surgery, but as of this morning she's not eating like she had been. Also, my fear is that we'll just give her a big "buzz" and make her sick. If not, is there a vet in the Des Moines area that will make house calls?

We appreciate any feedback that you might have.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I am very sorry for the situation you are in. I had to euthanize my friend for 12 years in February. I still find myself thinking about it several months removed from the loss.

These are very difficult choices. My dog wasn't a happy camper when it came to going to the vet, and we had him put down at the clinic well before he was as in bad of shape as yours is.

I know our vet in Story City (Heartland Pet Hopsital) will make house calls. I am sure you'd be able to find one who would do it as well. I know these are heart-wrenching decisions, but you must show the fortitude to make hard calls for your friend who can't.

God bless.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I would not self-administer. It would be hard to forgive yourself if you actually cause more pain.

You might be able to get an anxiety med from your vet and give that before you bring her in.

Good luck. Losing a great pet sucks.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
im sorry, but i believe the best would be to take her to the vet clinic. Trying to do it yourself would be a lot more stress i believe, and then what do you do with her? call the vet and ask them if there is a way to do it at home. Plus it probably is legal, but what if its not? good luck with what ever choice you make... i love my dogs as well, and i get it.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
No one wants to make this decision, but it sounds like her quality of life has degenerated to the point where this is the most humane option.

Do NOT try and OD your dog on pain medication. I would do one of these two things that have already been mentioned:

1. Have your vet prescribe your dog some anti-anxiety medication or sedatives you can give her before bringing her in.
  2. Talk to your vet, or one of the ones that was recommended, about the option for a house call. Any vet who also works with large animals should be comfortable coming to your home.
Many sympathies to you and your wife.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm sure you can find a vet that will come to your home to euthanize your dog. A friend of mine in Omaha had the vet come over so she could have her dog euthanized while she held him in the dog's favorite place to sleep in the yard.

Apr 29, 2006
Des Moines, Iowa
As for the advice i have none, but i just wanted to say Im so sorry to hear about this. I dread the day I have to deal with this tough time. My heart just hurts for all animals in pain or struggling to stay alive. I also feel for you. What an aweful time. I dont know really what to say other than keep ur head up, do whats best for you friend, and im so sorry for your situation. What a sickening part of life. Good luck and my prayers go out to your lil friend and your family. Life is not fair, and it can be outright cruel sometimes. This is one of those times. I feel for you guys.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
As was said before, if you can't find a small animal vet that will make a house call, a large animal vet would. I have no idea how many of them there are around your area, but there's got to be one somewhere.

Sorry for your misfortune. I've been through it and it sucks, but it's like anything else. The good memories eventually replace the pain.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Sorry to hear this. I was only 4 and 6 when i experienced our two family black labs get put down in our own home. I didnt witness it of course, but i was balling upstairs at the time. The vet we have always used and have taken our pets to is called the Pet Medical Center Of Ames. Dr. Donna Rizzo was the veterenerian who came over to our home and put them down for us.

GoState

Jun 4, 2006
Beaverdale
Hang in there. I lost my Golden to lymphoma several years ago. I spent an ungodly amount of money on treatment keeping him happy and active for a full year after he was diagnosed. But I wouldn't have had it any other way. He got me through a crappy divorce and made some dark days much more bearable. Remember the good days.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm sure you can find a vet that will come to your home to euthanize your dog. A friend of mine in Omaha had the vet come over so she could have her dog euthanized while she held him in the dog's favorite place to sleep in the yard.

Sorry to hear this, but glad that she is at peace now.

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Thanks to everybody.

My Maggie left us today. She was ready to go. She got to spend her last day at home with mom. She was a good girl and was loved.

Went thru the same thing 5 years ago. There is no connection like the one with your first pet after marriage. We now have a wonderful yellow lab that just had her 4th birthday. I think the world of her, but the connection is not the same.

Things will be tough for a while, but they will certainly get better. Think of the great times you had together, and that she's in a better place. When one thinks of the unconditional love that a dog provides, it is impossible to imagine that there's not a heaven, or that our pets won't be there. Take solace in that reality.

My condolences.

Cloned

SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
My wife is a vet in West Des Moines. Depending on how far away you live her practice can make house calls and perform in home euthanasia if that is what you decide to do. PM me if you need info.

oops, should have finished thread before posting. Very sorry to hear about your loss, never an easy thing.

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Sorry to hear that about your dog. I lost a cat last year that I had since I was 8. I wasn't right for a couple of weeks afterwards. All you can do is think of the happy times you had with them, and the fact that you gave them a good life and lots of love.

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
My condolences, a few years ago I had to put my lab down. She had cancer all over. Had her for 10 years. One of the toughest things I have ever done.