VB vs. TCU and Nolan, Kuhrt

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It was a hard fought match against TCU. The Cyclones could have won all 5 sets, but let TCU get the edge at the end of the first and fourth. That was uncharacteristic given recent play in tight games. However, in the sets we won, we dominated. It would have been disastrous to lose the match. I think TCU beat OU last week, so they can play.

CJL credited TCU in the post game with doing some notable things that limited our middles and countered our 6-2. She said she's excited to watch video and learn from it.

Kurht showed all sides of her game. She was very impressive. If you see the Facebook photos, she's a presence everywhere. It will be big if she can be consistent through the rest of the season.

Nolan has been impressive all season, but she showed another gear in yesterday's match. She hustled all match and tracked down some incredibly difficult balls and basically threw herself all over the court. Advice to anyone: stay out of her way.:spinny:

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My girls are volleyball helpers, my 11yr old plays club ball and was in awe of Nolan last night. "You should've seen her pancake!" (Basically laying out flat to dig the ball) She also overheard what the TCU coach said to get red-carded. :)

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My girls are volleyball helpers, my 11yr old plays club ball and was in awe of Nolan last night. "You should've seen her pancake!" (Basically laying out flat to dig the ball) She also overheard what the TCU coach said to get red-carded. :)

I was curious what this was. Nolan is very competitive. I think there was even a point where she got mad at a teammate for colliding with her while she was trying to get a dig. Libero U

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
She says it was an assistant coach who said, "that's the fifth bad call today" and then claimed innocence and asked, "What did I say?" I wasn't there but she said right after we had match point.

When they are helpers, they can't cheer for either team--they are supposed to remain neutral. She said there were a couple times last night where she couldn't help but cheer. :) Hopefully it was during a set she wasn't technically working, just sitting in the stands.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
She says it was an assistant coach who said, "that's the fifth bad call today" and then claimed innocence and asked, "What did I say?" I wasn't there but she said right after we had match point.

When they are helpers, they can't cheer for either team--they are supposed to remain neutral. She said there were a couple times last night where she couldn't help but cheer. :) Hopefully it was during a set she wasn't technically working, just sitting in the stands.
That seems more yellow card worthy than red card. Unless they replaced the word 'bad' was a four letter word starting with s. I don't remember what they were getting mad about but the refs weren't favoring ISU. There were definitely times when they could have and should have called doubles on TCU but swallowed their whistle.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
Yeah all she did was kept on the ref about the bad call didn't even use any bad words. I sit down front where I saw the whole thing unfold disappointed I didn't learn more colorful language. By then end we were just feeding Hurt the ball, Kuhrt was awesome looked super athletic compared to last year, and Nolan was everywhere. We need to finish teams off like that in 3 sets, we also needed to finish set 2 faster once up 10-0 but they are young and still learning to win.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yeah all she did was kept on the ref about the bad call didn't even use any bad words. I sit down front where I saw the whole thing unfold disappointed I didn't learn more colorful language. By then end we were just feeding Hurt the ball, Kuhrt was awesome looked super athletic compared to last year, and Nolan was everywhere. We need to finish teams off like that in 3 sets, we also needed to finish set 2 faster once up 10-0 but they are young and still learning to win.
We were working on our stamina.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I was really impressed by Nolan. Earlier in the season, I have to admit, I let up on watching volleyball. Too much going on. But since I started they have been on a winning streak. Basketball, and volleyball, this is my sports time of year.