Uthoff

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Re: Uthoff to Hawks

Why is he paying for college when he didn't have to, especially to go to Iowa?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

I gotta say that Fran is a much better recruiter than I would have guessed when he was hired. I wonder how long he will be satisfied playing in a dimly lit craphole in front of 7K senior citizens?

If he can successfully turn around Iowa Basketball I'd say he will be a hot commodity. In general East Coast people don't care to live in the Midwest for long.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale

Can't say that I am truly disappointed. I feel there are others out there that might better serve us. Trust in Freddy.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

I gotta say that Fran is a much better recruiter than I would have guessed when he was hired. I wonder how long he will be satisfied playing in a dimly lit craphole in front of 7K senior citizens?

If he can successfully turn around Iowa Basketball I'd say he will be a hot commodity. In general East Coast people don't care to live in the Midwest for long.

fran has been successful recruiting two kinds of players: lifelong hawkeye fans (mccabe, oglesby, woodbury, marble) and kids with iowa as their only high-major/b10 offer (clemmons, ingram, white, olaseni, meyer).

i give him credit for gesell and basabe.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

That won't happen. Iowa will get back to 12-13k per game and claim they are a basketball school and have great basketball fans. They won't even remember having to give away free tickets, pizza, ice cream, etc. during the crap years.
Their fans will be arrogant and go to games, don't count them out.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010

That won't happen. Iowa will get back to 12-13k per game and claim they are a basketball school and have great basketball fans. They won't even remember having to give away free tickets, pizza, ice cream, etc. during the crap years.
Their fans will be arrogant and go to games, don't count them out.
In all honesty Iowa has a history of being a "basketball school" they have been way down the last few years but it appears they are on their way back. The Cyclones have come a long way in the last couple of years but they were way down as well. I seem to remember some paltry crowds in Hilton within the last few seasons. In the big picture Uthoff is a blip on the radar screen......the fact he went to Iowa brings out the worst in some of you.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

If Fran recruited JU then it would be a recruiting violation. Fran didn't have much to do with this one.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans

If Fran recruited JU then it would be a recruiting violation. Fran didn't have much to do with this one.

you don't think the impression Franny made on him while recruiting him last year had any effect on his decision?

Some need to remember it wasn't all that long ago that we had very low attendance, and were coming up with gimmicks to get people in the stands. Iowa seems to be about 1-2 years behind us, but their fans will come back. Look at the Tom Davis years, and the early Alford years. That place was packed pretty much every night! They, along with us, have recently gone through one of the worst periods in the history of the school, and that is the reason fans weren't attending. As I said, right now we seem to be about 1-2 years ahead of them.

With the class they currently have coming in, adding in Uthoff (he will be a soph with Gessell/Woodbury/whoever else they have coming in this year), that's a very solid group to build on! Plus, if I remember correctly, they only have 1 senior this year, and he plays very little! While they certainly don't have the talent/players to be world beaters, they certainly should look much improved both this year and next!

Reactions: CycloneErik

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

I gotta say that Fran is a much better recruiter than I would have guessed when he was hired.

wtf?

Fran 'recruited' Uthoff', and even tavernhawk Woodbury? LOL

Fran did a great job with Aaron White. Period. I'd take him and Marble (who was a hawk no matter what)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

In all honesty Iowa has a history of being a "basketball school" they have been way down the last few years but it appears they are on their way back. The Cyclones have come a long way in the last couple of years but they were way down as well. I seem to remember some paltry crowds in Hilton within the last few seasons. In the big picture Uthoff is a blip on the radar screen......the fact he went to Iowa brings out the worst in some of you.

The key is when they are good but when they aren't they don't care.

And the paltry crowds you have seen in Hilton are nothing compared to Carver, nothing. They have had to give away free tickets on a prime time game against Michigan State on ESPN. When has ISU had to do that against Kansas?

And bringing out the worst? No, its just the truth. This fall will be my 13th straight year of being a season ticket holder at ISU. I've seen the good and the bad.

edit: And I am glad that Uthoff is staying in the state, we need more kids to. I've never said a bad thing about him or his decision.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I gotta say that Fran is a much better recruiter than I would have guessed when he was hired. I wonder how long he will be satisfied playing in a dimly lit craphole in front of 7K senior citizens? If he can successfully turn around Iowa Basketball I'd say he will be a hot commodity. In general East Coast people don't care to live in the Midwest for long.

The problem is that with the uncertainty with East Coast conferences right now, I don't know how appealing those jobs really are. Unless you're going to a big school that is guaranteed not to get left behind such as Duke, UNC, or Maryland, won't the future conferences be a huge concern? I know I don't consider Rutgers and UCONN to be exactly stable right now.

cyclone2001

Feb 26, 2012
We need to give Fred some time to bring those top recruits to Iowa state. Lot of people forget he has been a Coach for two season, unlike fran who has been coaching since the 80's. The recruiting game is a tough one and players dont come here just because you have one good season. top recruits always choose well known schools. We are in the process of building a basketball power house and one day we may land those one and done NBA lottery picks...

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Examples?

And I wouldn't call squeaking into the NIT "on their way back". You should try to hide your squawk homer-ism better.

Reactions: JP4CY
Aug 14, 2009

Sincerely, Kirk Ferentz

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008

The key is when they are good but when they aren't they don't care.

And the paltry crowds you have seen in Hilton are nothing compared to Carver, nothing. They have had to give away free tickets on a prime time game against Michigan State on ESPN. When has ISU had to do that against Kansas?

And bringing out the worst? No, its just the truth. This fall will be my 13th straight year of being a season ticket holder at ISU. I've seen the good and the bad.

edit: And I am glad that Uthoff is staying in the state, we need more kids to. I've never said a bad thing about him or his decision.

Duke's students get in free every game. Several schools do it. It was only for students and I couldn't care less if they charge students $10 or let them in free as long as they show up.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Duke's students get in free every game. Several schools do it. It was only for students and I couldn't care less if they charge students $10 or let them in free as long as they show up.

I guess I don't see what Duke or other schools have to do with it. I'll play your game though. Have you ever seen what it costs to attend Duke per year, I'm sure they can afford to give their students tickets for free:

Tuition & fees $44,101 Room $6,140 Board $5,630 Books & personal expenses $3,472 Total estimated cost of attendance $59,343