Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I'd say Oregon St & Washington St. end up in Mountain West since there will be no Pac 12.
Oregon State could end up in Big 12 wrestling if so, maybe even if still in the Pac. MWC schools Air Force and Wyoming wrestle in the Big 12.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I am wondering if we are undervaluing Cal with their massive alumni base. With an idea that Amazon might be looking for more integrations with Universities, that could be big.

I admit a couple of these are higher and a couple are lower on here than I thought. I also have to say that since this goes back to 2015, some of these are for sure on an upward trajectory and others are on the way down.

Cal is a bit higher on here than I thought, we are slightly lower. Otherwise it gives a bit of an idea.

Honestly I think in terms of value I think several of the Pac schools are very close. AU, ASU,CU are really close to each other in value, UU has pulled ahead. I actually think Oregon and Washington are moving down.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

I admit a couple of these are higher and a couple are lower on here than I thought. I also have to say that since this goes back to 2015, some of these are for sure on an upward trajectory and others are on the way down.

Cal is a bit higher on here than I thought, we are slightly lower. Otherwise it gives a bit of an idea.

Honestly I think in terms of value I think several of the Pac schools are very close. AU, ASU,CU are really close to each other in value, UU has pulled ahead. I actually think Oregon and Washington are moving down.
That’s an interesting article. Agree that since this is from a few years back there might be some movement, I would have you guys higher since you have had more games as a ranked team lately

• Agree
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Poor data, if he couldn’t find numbers he marked them as 0 instead of deleting them. So cyclone TV games were 0, ESPN+ type stuff was hard to find. Longhorn network didn’t report I think so it really punished the big XII model.

Reactions: jctisu and CYTUTT

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

A smarter analysis would have controlled for opponent, or even time/channel. I think someone else did just that and it was linked the LAST time this crap happened with OuT.

One thing to keep in mind - value of a game (advertising) goes up exponentially with viewership. The Super Bowl is the extreme high end. But on the bottom end, even "free" sports like cycling get 300-500k viewers. So for Rutgers vs Illinois there is literally zero incremental value over cycling, bowling, cooking with Marge, etc.

I suspect that ESPN and Fox believe if they can get those top 20-24 teams in a single league, then they can pay a lot for those, and the rest of CFB would be basically down in the "free" zone in terms of cost (think G5 level $5M per school annual). That is their endgame imho.

Now, I think they are overestimating the differential viewership numbers. There would still be a lot of people watching their alma maters and regional schools. Frankly, I will be just fine watching the Tier 2 if that includes 50-60 universities including ISU. It could very well be better than status quo for ISU as long as the money doesn't completely evaporate.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I assume Walton will stick with UCLA and go to the B1G, but if he stays with the PAC it would be a hoot to have him in Ames for a game.
He might do big 10 games, but only UCLA & USC home games.

I have a tough time believing Walton wants to fly to Ann Arbor, Champaign-Urbana, Iowa City, etc.in the middle of January.

But I do love some Bill. He loves Zona because of Luke. So maybe we could see him do some Big12 games.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Just a PSA here. I am going to pistol whip the next poster I see talking about MBB, WBB, wrestling or whatever other olympic sport in a conference realignment thread. They don't matter in all this, they never have, and they never will. The minute you find yourself considering anything but potential football TV revenue you are wrong, so take a step back from the keyboard and regroup.

Okay, back to regularly scheduled programming.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Cal has an AD in spite of itself. If there was a student/faculty vote it would be eliminated in favor of creating more safe spaces.
But with that baggage, still better than OSU & WSU. Not close.

The latter 2 schools AD revenue was around $72M in 2019/20. That was $20M lower than the next WORST Pac12 school. I believe it was CU.

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Just a PSA here. I am going to pistol whip the next poster I see talking about MBB, WBB, wrestling or whatever other olympic sport in a conference realignment thread. They don't matter in all this, they never have, and they never will. The minute you find yourself considering anything but potential football TV revenue you are wrong, so take a step back from the keyboard and regroup.

So now would be a bad time to say I like the idea of adding the Arizona school's more for basketball and wrestling than football?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Hey Farva, what's that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and mozzarella sticks?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

Can we add anyone talking about market size to this list of pistol whipping offenses?

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

On OSU wrestling, I simply pointed something out, that they might well be Big 12 regardless. I wasn’t arguing that affects any decision.

Things are so convoluted any more, I had to look up myself exactly what wrestling teams are where.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

So now would be a bad time to say I like the idea of adding the Arizona school's more for basketball and wrestling than football?
supertroopers-leo.gif

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Poor data, if he couldn’t find numbers he marked them as 0 instead of deleting them. So cyclone TV games were 0, ESPN+ type stuff was hard to find. Longhorn network didn’t report I think so it really punished the big XII model.
Yeah you are right. I didnt realize that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A smarter analysis would have controlled for opponent, or even time/channel. I think someone else did just that and it was linked the LAST time this crap happened with OuT.

One thing to keep in mind - value of a game (advertising) goes up exponentially with viewership. The Super Bowl is the extreme high end. But on the bottom end, even "free" sports like cycling get 300-500k viewers. So for Rutgers vs Illinois there is literally zero incremental value over cycling, bowling, cooking with Marge, etc.

I suspect that ESPN and Fox believe if they can get those top 20-24 teams in a single league, then they can pay a lot for those, and the rest of CFB would be basically down in the "free" zone in terms of cost (think G5 level $5M per school annual). That is their endgame imho.

Now, I think they are overestimating the differential viewership numbers. There would still be a lot of people watching their alma maters and regional schools. Frankly, I will be just fine watching the Tier 2 if that includes 50-60 universities including ISU. It could very well be better than status quo for ISU as long as the money doesn't completely evaporate.
If ESPN and Fox do that, they will be in for a world of hurt. Fans of every program left out would not only not watch, they would actively hate those networks.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts