Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Paddythefatty

Jul 25, 2021
Those movies, although not quite the success some thought they would be, are still printing money. I think Thor L&T was a $250M budget and has passed over $700M in global earned. Dr. Strange 2 was super divisive and still took home almost a billion.
I forget the global market is pretty easy to please. They also have “McDonalds” the CGI process to max their earnings.

7D85BCA8-D142-4642-A81B-A453EAF4B528.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jctisu

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
People constantly don’t know what they are talking about when it comes to the money ESPN still generates for Disney. The Walt Disney Co. has had a pretty good track record of making smart financial decisions (hiccups like any company that size of course) so if ESPN is really the drag everyone says it is they would have cut loose when they had the chance a few years ago. Chapek has stated time and again the value of live sports is still unmatched by anything they have under that massive umbrella.

It’s still a real money maker, and why new entrants are trying to get it. Live sports with a lot of non-causal fans like college football/basketball is even more valuable to streaming-subscription models.

If nothing else, realignment/expansion is becoming enterprise value to Disney. If ESPN has locked in 24 of the most successful college brands, with Fox aggregating 24 more, they can delay the Amazon and Apples….or make those companies write a huge check to Disney/Murdoch

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Those movies, although not quite the success some thought they would be, are still printing money. I think Thor L&T was a $250M budget and has passed over $700M in global earned. Dr. Strange 2 was super divisive and still took home almost a billion.
That 250 does NOT include any marketing costs which Disney has not disclosed. Needless to say, it was likely north of 150+ million.

Also, in terms of "butts in seats" Thor L&T was viewed significantly less than Thor Ragnarok.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It's good for us too. They'll want central time zone content.
But I'm guessing ESPN won't pay much, they will low ball the Big 12. the fact they tried to parlay the remaining big 12 schools in with the AAC for 10 mil a year says what they think of our value. Their strategy was to get the brand names together and pay a premium thus devaluing the remaining which would ultimately lead to savings for them. At least that was their mindset and strategy, hopefully that changed. I just do not trust ESPN

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
But I'm guessing ESPN won't pay much, they will low ball the Big 12. the fact they tried to parlay the remaining big 12 schools in with the AAC for 10 mil a year says what they think of our value. Their strategy was to get the brand names together and pay a premium thus devaluing the remaining which would ultimately lead to savings for them. At least that was their mindset and strategy, hopefully that changed. I just do not trust ESPN
I don't trust ESPN either but I don't know if Fox had the same opportunity they wouldn't have done the same last year. Honestly Fox is doing the same thing to the PAC12 right now by enticing USC/UCLA to the Big 10 and openly declining bidding on the PAC10 media rights.
The hope is as an ISU fan is the expected biding for the B12 rights will force Fox and ESPN into a beneficial package for us next year. Plans change and now ESPN has a major benefit to not lose the B12 to Fox. Visa Versa.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
That 250 does NOT include any marketing costs which Disney has not disclosed. Needless to say, it was likely north of 150+ million.

Also, in terms of "butts in seats" Thor L&T was viewed significantly less than Thor Ragnarok.
Sure but one movie is not a ring the alarm bell. It’s losing steam in the fact they were never going to match what they did in the Infinity saga. Getting everyone restarted was always going to see a percentage drop out.

And butts in seats is still not going to be the same since COVID changed everything and Disney puts their stuff on plus like 90 days after it releases. A lot of people still aren’t back to the theater and may never be as COVID really killed it and they know they can just wait to get it on a service they already pay for. Do the math around the cost per month for DISNEY+ compared to taking a family of four to the movies and you are saving by just waiting.

Absolute blockbusters like an Endgame (recently Top Gun Maverick due to the audience it targets) will still draw massive crowds because the hype will be way too big and people don’t want things spoiled. Marvel doesn’t have anything like that coming down the pipe for some time now since they had to basically reset. Black Panther 2 will be a big test to how things are going IMO.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I don't trust ESPN either but I don't know if Fox had the same opportunity they wouldn't have done the same last year. Honestly Fox is doing the same thing to the PAC12 right now by enticing USC/UCLA to the Big 10 and openly declining bidding on the PAC10 media rights.
The hope is as an ISU fan is the expected biding for the B12 rights will force Fox and ESPN into a beneficial package for us next year. Plans change and now ESPN has a major benefit to not lose the B12 to Fox. Visa Versa.
Right? ESPN can’t be trusted but Fox is just as bad. They are both doing the exact same thing to the sport.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sure but one movie is not a ring the alarm bell. It’s losing steam in the fact they were never going to match what they did in the Infinity saga. Getting everyone restarted was always going to see a percentage drop out.

And butts in seats is still not going to be the same since COVID changed everything and Disney puts their stuff on plus like 90 days after it releases. A lot of people still aren’t back to the theater and may never be as COVID really killed it and they know they can just wait to get it on a service they already pay for. Do the math around the cost per month for DISNEY+ compared to taking a family of four to the movies and you are saving by just waiting.

Absolute blockbusters like an Endgame (recently Top Gun Maverick due to the audience it targets) will still draw massive crowds because the hype will be way too big and people don’t want things spoiled. Marvel doesn’t have anything like that coming down the pipe for some time now since they had to basically reset. Black Panther 2 will be a big test to how things are going IMO.

Yeah when you actually look at it they really havent lost much financial steam. The non-avengers movies have always made less, and the recent movies haven't been getting the chance to make money in some big overseas markets including the big one, China.

For an apples to apples comparison, this thor surpassed the last one at the domestic box office

• Agree

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Yeah when you actually look at it they really havent lost much financial steam. The non-avengers movies have always made less, and the recent movies haven't been getting the chance to make money in some big overseas markets including the big one, China.

For an apples to apples comparison, this thor surpassed the last one at the domestic box office
Very good points here. Forgot about some of the overseas markets taking a hit.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
WTF do movies have to do with Conference realignment?
Absolutely nothing. Stemmed from someone being surprised by Disney’s Q3 report and how much money ESPN brings into Disney as compared to the films Disney puts out. ESPN’a value to Disney is still big when it comes to realignment.

But yes back to the original topic of the thread in realignment. Checks notes: nothing new like usual

• Agree
Reactions: drmwevr08

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Right? ESPN can’t be trusted but Fox is just as bad. They are both doing the exact same thing to the sport.

ESPN was more nefarious imo, which is why Bob had to use the cease and desist, but it takes both to delay the apple and Amazon types.

Singularly they don’t have the bandwidth to control and shutout new entrants from 5 conferences. But if together they consolidate into two leagues, they grab enough of the value in college athletics that’s it’s very tough for subscription based providers. Even more so with FOX getting all the CBS and NBC to cover the BIG league, which not only allows for expansion of BIG, but marginalizes anything outside the two conferences.

Anything leftover is going to lack the exposure and quality needed. Consolidation of leftovers is really the only chance, and why Pac schools like Utah are on a fool’s errand if they truly think passing on “just” $5 million to consolidate is not worth it. Long term, the networks have no issues with those outside the P2 passing on aggregating their current P5/peer perceptions in favor of fading to a minor league status

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Screw'em both. Go all in with Amazon or Apple (who will overpay) under the condition they sublicense at least one OTA GOTW #1 and one or two more GOTWs on linear cable to TNT, USA, ESPN and/or FS1. Have Fox and ESPN come begging to Amazon or Apple to fill their open windows. The rest of the games are streamed on Amazon or Apple.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
ESPN was more nefarious imo, which is why Bob had to use the cease and desist, but it takes both to delay the apple and Amazon types.

Singularly they don’t have the bandwidth to control and shutout new entrants from 5 conferences. But if together they consolidate into two leagues, they grab enough of the value in college athletics that’s it’s very tough for subscription based providers. Even more so with FOX getting all the CBS and NBC to cover the BIG league, which not only allows for expansion of BIG, but marginalizes anything outside the two conferences.

Anything leftover is going to lack the exposure and quality needed. Consolidation of leftovers is really the only chance, and why Pac schools like Utah are on a fool’s errand if they truly think passing on “just” $5 million to consolidate is not worth it. Long term, the networks have no issues with those outside the P2 passing on aggregating their current P5/peer perceptions in favor of fading to a minor league status
Agreed on all points. I think Fox and Warren have been pushing the “Who’s the shadiest?” lately though. Warren has been brilliant in doing what’s best for the BIG but in doing so that dude, at Fox’s orders more than likely, has really back stabbed and caused some major issues.

I know not everyone is a Pat Forde fan (he’s a dweeb but I don’t mind him) but he and Dan Wetzel’s College Football Enquirer podcast is quite good in theorizing and putting pieces together on all of this. They don’t take themselves seriously and are straight shooters with no real agenda most of the time.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
On the topic of ESPN. I was surprised on Disneys Q3 earnings report that ESPN makes FAR more money than their movie business, and its not even close.
Where does their streaming channel fit in? Because they're now out subscribing Netflix and, in large part, mostly because of their movie business. That, imo, should be factored into their movie income.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Why don't they just get rid of the ncaa and keep the tourney money for the schools, basketball would be worth a lot more then

I don't understand why the ncaa gets the money in basketball

Reactions: PickSix

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
In the game of all things, I wouldn't be at all surprised if ESPN makes a good move into the B12, but is having the SEC lobby for increasing the bb playoff. With the two conferences ESPN will have positioned itself very well for 2/3 of the years sports broadcasting. Just a another chess move to consider.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
In the game of all things, I wouldn't be at all surprised if ESPN makes a good move into the B12, but is having the SEC lobby for increasing the bb playoff. With the two conferences ESPN will have positioned itself very well for 2/3 of the years sports broadcasting. Just a another chess move to consider.
The other intriguing part to me is there are clearly sides to this is and Bowlsby is the one who worked with Sankey on the new CFP model and were in agreement, but it was the Big Ten and that false alliance that killed it. It’s business so doubt this is the case but I wonder with that and Bowlsby’s threat against ESPN if a sort of olive branch is coming again from ESPN (Longhorn Network last time), especially for maybe getting OU and Texas out a year early in exchange and if Sankey will give any leverage toward backing the Big 12 a bit with ESPN due to the relationship he and Bowlsby had in regards to Bowlsby agreeing with Sankey’s plan on the expanded CFP.

Because it’s definitely ESPN/SEC v. Fox/Big Ten. Doubtful but crazier crap has happened.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why don't they just get rid of the ncaa and keep the tourney money for the schools, basketball would be worth a lot more then

I don't understand why the ncaa gets the money in basketball

Because they run the tournament. And that money funds a lot of the other championships that don't make (or more accurately lose) money.

You're probably right though that eventually it'll probably be taken from the NCAA. And it'll once again hurt a lot of people and opportunities at lower levels so that relatively few can benefit.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Its all about having competition in the bidding.
You can sell a product worth $100 to someone, but if only one guy wants it and he knows it, he is only gonna give you 10$.

I really hope CBS rides in to bid for the big12, i think it makes more sense for them than pac12. CBS vs ESPN would drive up the money and prevent getting lowballed.

At the same time, i hope ESPN does lowball the pac12, as that would push a couple of those teams to the big12 in all likelyhood.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron