US Open Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
In the past, the US Open was never about driving the ball. Ball strikers and putters won more consistently than big hitters. In recent years, poor driving has been penalized less and less. It will be the same this week at Torrey and I expect a big hitter to win again. That being said, if it is hard and fast some of the straight guys will catch up to the offline guys some. Balls don't roll out 40 yards in US open rough.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Fun Fact: This is the 4327th consecutive major where Tony Finau was a 'sleeper'. It's almost a running gag at this point.
Oh forsure, I put mild almost solely for that fact and that he is middling for the betting favorites. But point being, I think he can get it out there and is crafty enough to put some holes together and stick around. I do love Tony but know his shortcomings. Know it's likely he won't win, but alas

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
In the past, the US Open was never about driving the ball. Ball strikers and putters won more consistently than big hitters. In recent years, poor driving has been penalized less and less. It will be the same this week at Torrey and I expect a big hitter to win again. That being said, if it is hard and fast some of the straight guys will catch up to the offline guys some. Balls don't roll out 40 yards in US open rough.
Agreed. Listening to Jordan Spieth talk in his presser today, it sounds like the fairways are softer than last year, so he's expecting balls holding on and allowing more fairway shots. So guys will have to take advantage of those holes they know there's a landing spot for their distance.
Torrey in 08 was especially heavy in the "these are the gain a stroke holes, these are the expect to drop a shot holes" and most who were towards the top played true to that, except tiger on the back (front) 9 on Friday and Rocco on the back 8 on Monday haha. We'll see if that is the case this week. Rough definitely looks higher, but I (along with most) agree with you that a longer hitter is still the better bet this week.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agreed. Listening to Jordan Spieth talk in his presser today, it sounds like the fairways are softer than last year, so he's expecting balls holding on and allowing more fairway shots. So guys will have to take advantage of those holes they know there's a landing spot for their distance.
Torrey in 08 was especially heavy in the "these are the gain a stroke holes, these are the expect to drop a shot holes" and most who were towards the top played true to that, except tiger on the back (front) 9 on Friday and Rocco on the back 8 on Monday haha. We'll see if that is the case this week. Rough definitely looks higher, but I (along with most) agree with you that a longer hitter is still the better bet this week.

I think we all can agree that we want Spieth to fail miserably and fall back in to irrelevancy because we’re all sick of the media humping his leg because he got 3rd place in the Masters and won a Valero Open in the past two years.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think we all can agree that we want Spieth to fail miserably and fall back in to irrelevancy because we’re all sick of the media humping his leg because he got 3rd place in the Masters and won a Valero Open in the past two years.

We cannot agree on that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Isn't there enough golf tournaments that basically everyone gets a top 5 eventually.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I, personally, am all for having as many competitive top golfers as you can at a time. I understand why some people don't Jive with Jordan. I wouldn't even say i'm a fan, but since we've moved past Tiger and Phil, it's been fun to watch all these dudes have the chance to put up low scores. The more the merrier, especially in a beast like the US Open.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I, personally, am all for having as many competitive top golfers as you can at a time. I understand why some people don't Jive with Jordan. I wouldn't even say i'm a fan, but since we've moved past Tiger and Phil, it's been fun to watch all these dudes have the chance to put up low scores. The more the merrier, especially in a beast like the US Open.

I didn't used to like Spieth but I've come to appreciate him because to the extent that I can identify with someone's game on the PGA Tour he's the closest. He doesn't bomb it, he hits it all over, he hits awful shots and talks about it. That's how we all play, albeit not nearly as well. It's different than most of these guys who I can't identify with the game they're playing. Watching Rory, DJ, and Bryson drive it isn't something I can identify with. The sound the ball makes when Koepka hits it isn't something I recognize. It's just nice to see that you don't have to be some sort of ball striking robot to have some success and I really wish that Patrick Reed wasn't such a flaming douche because he's another guy who's game is so fun to watch in the aspect that it's not pretty.

I'll take Rory this week. No one is talking about him.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Chamblee had a graphic about Finau, in the "regular" tour event at Torrey he leads most every statistical category and still doesn't win.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I didn't used to like Spieth but I've come to appreciate him because to the extent that I can identify with someone's game on the PGA Tour he's the closest. He doesn't bomb it, he hits it all over, he hits awful shots and talks about it. That's how we all play, albeit not nearly as well. It's different than most of these guys who I can't identify with the game they're playing. Watching Rory, DJ, and Bryson drive it isn't something I can identify with. The sound the ball makes when Koepka hits it isn't something I recognize. It's just nice to see that you don't have to be some sort of ball striking robot to have some success and I really wish that Patrick Reed wasn't such a flaming douche because he's another guy who's game is so fun to watch in the aspect that it's not pretty.

I'll take Rory this week. No one is talking about him.
I'm with you on the Rory pick. Playing solid golf again and, yeah, rarely any buzz around him. Albeit they are only talking about Bryson and Brooks it seems :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron