UPDATE: Tennis Team going to the Elite 8

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Looks like they just went down 4-3. Both last two matches went to third set and lost 6-3 and 6-4.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not necessarily.

Among the 3, there were 2 bad overrules -- so the chair's errors ended up meaning that Kadleckova couldn't make any close calls for the second half of the match for fear of being overruled again and taking a larger penalty.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Hell of an effort. Was Iowa State a favorite for any points? Based on rankings, they were underdogs in the doubles as well as the top 4 singles matches. Announcer seemed to imply Iowa State was an underdog on Court 5 (2 unranked players) and I have no idea who would have been the favorite on Court 6.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Among the 3, there were 2 bad overrules -- so the chair's errors ended up meaning that Kadleckova couldn't make any close calls for the second half of the match for fear of being overruled again and taking a larger penalty.

Darn refs!

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow, NC State's #1 player is currently ranked #94 in the world in the WTA. Wonder why she's not playing professionally full time?

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’m pretty sad, went from wishing we just would have finished off the one doubles match for a moral victory before we lost the point, to having hope.

Great effort, please keep Boomer and improve facilities somehow. I don’t like either team left in the east of NBA finals, so this was such a joy to watch tonight.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not gonna pretend I’m the world’s biggest ISU tennis fan, but I really hope we’re able to keep Saia. Fun to have something ISU to cheer for in May
Most cheering I have done this time of year in many years sans baseball. Tennis was very big in my youth. Many rural towns had a small complex and we played almost daily back in the 70s. Along with a volleyball net in the front yard we had those two sports in the summers.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Women’s Tennis NIL money. But more seriously, it’s probably to get a free education because tennis usually has good payouts for tournaments.
Some just want to do college and indeed have a degree. Not many do that, but even though this girl is ranked in the top 100, tennis is a brutal sport to make a living doing. There is a big difference between top 100 and top 25. This girl has the talent to keep moving up, which will give her more opportunities but if you float around the top 100, making a living is a grind. And if you have even one year where you dip, your ranking plummets and getting it back is hard.

• Agree
Reactions: legi

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Some just want to do college and indeed have a degree. Not many do that, but even though this girl is ranked in the top 100, tennis is a brutal sport to make a living doing. There is a big difference between top 100 and top 25. This girl has the talent to keep moving up, which will give her more opportunities but if you float around the top 100, making a living is a grind. And if you have even one year where you dip, your ranking plummets and getting it back is hard.

I believe Tennis and Golf are unique when it comes to NIL - I think there are ramifications to the amateur standing (related to tournaments outside of the NCAA) that may prohibit them from taking NIL money in some respects. Especially in Golf this is a big deal as amateurs have an avenue to get in some of the big tournaments through those qualifying tournaments.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
@carvers4math and the rest of the tennis people thanks for putting up with all the newbie questions. :)

I was clueless when watching. I know it goes in increments of 15 till 40.

The thing I didn't understand was it seemed like if the person serving didn't get it over they got a do over. I'm used to volleyball where if you fail to serve it over the other side gets control to serve.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I believe Tennis and Golf are unique when it comes to NIL - I think there are ramifications to the amateur standing (related to tournaments outside of the NCAA) that may prohibit them from taking NIL money in some respects. Especially in Golf this is a big deal as amateurs have an avenue to get in some of the big tournaments through those qualifying tournaments.
Oh yeah I have no idea about NIL and tennis. Just speaking to why this girl is in college instead of going pro at 15, 16 or 17 like most future pros do. A lot like gymnastics, although not as extreme, where you go to the pros early and don’t do college. There are exceptions like John Isner but “wasting” years in college is not ideal if you want to be a professional tennis player.

• Agree
Reactions: mwwbbfan

Help Support Us

Become a patron