UNI/Arizona St Dual Thread

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Per 125, you can't change scholarships anymore unless there is outside issues, such as grades making them ineligible or discipline problems. Unless something has changed in the last year or two.
I believe you can non revenue sport scholarships are year to year. At least softball is so I would assume wrestling is the same.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I believe you can non revenue sport scholarships are year to year. At least softball is so I would assume wrestling is the same.
They are considered year to year, but what I was told was that you can increase but what they enter school with can’t be reduced below that due to performance. This was a couple years ago when my son was going through the hoops, so things could have changed. So if you enter with 50%, they can bump you up but you will always have a 50% base unless you mess up somehow.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
They are considered year to year, but what I was told was that you can increase but what they enter school with can’t be reduced below that due to performance. This was a couple years ago when my son was going through the hoops, so things could have changed. So if you enter with 50%, they can bump you up but you will always have a 50% base unless you mess up somehow.
I believe its different especially with Covid and all the sports getting their years essentially frozen. D1 Softball rosters have went from around 20 to more on the average mid 20's. Softball gets 12 scholarships. They've had to cut %'s with seniors deciding to come back and play another year. Now my understanding is it's up to the schools on how they handle it but our experience is athletic scholarships were reduced. You bring in 4 freshman and keep 2-4 Seniors you're forced to do something. Tough situation.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Even if you could, I don’t think Dresser would want to set the precedent that if you are bad you don’t get your money for school. To me, there’s a lot of things wrong with that. Especially for a kid that had a massive knee injury.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
They have medical hardships if injury becomes the issue. You keep your scholarship and it doesn't count against the allotment for the sport. I'm assuming Austin Gomez falls under the medical hardship scholarship waiver.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They have medical hardships if injury becomes the issue. You keep your scholarship and it doesn't count against the allotment for the sport. I'm assuming Austin Gomez falls under the medical hardship scholarship waiver.
You have to “retire” though.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
149- I slept on my thoughts on this one. Still woke up very disappointed. I understand he isnt 100% and that is holding him back from some of his offense or certain situations like being extended too much in on a shot, but even his mat wrestling was questionable against Lara. Simple fundamentals, like not reaching back, etc. I hope he can recover from that knee tweak and get back to better health.

Overall nice post... However, you lost me when you mention Jarrett & following "Simple fundamentals" in the same paragraph. ;)

The rules don't apply to him and that's what I love the most about him. He's had head scratching losses since his Fr year and he's figured out ways to turn those losses around and/or win against top level competition while defying the simple fundamentals. I'm not blaming his loss on injury or anything else. It's simply a loss to learn from. I also hope he can continue to build towards his full health because he's always shown tremendous fight and a amazing will to win.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I believe that was the case with Trent Weatherman

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Overall nice post... However, you lost me when you mention Jarrett & following "Simple fundamentals" in the same paragraph. ;)

The rules don't apply to him and that's what I love the most about him. He's had head scratching losses since his Fr year and he's figured out ways to turn those losses around and/or win against top level competition while defying the simple fundamentals. I'm not blaming his loss on injury or anything else. It's simply a loss to learn from. I also hope he can continue to build towards his full health because he's always shown tremendous fight and a amazing will to win.
The way he wrestles it seems like once or twice a year he always gets caught in one of his weird ass positions and gets beat. When the lights are bright he seems to avoid those (if he’s healthy). I’m definitely not worried about him outside of his health.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
While a lot of people have been arguing lately, I see sides to everyone's takes. Am I happy with this season? Honestly, no I'm not. Some things are out of our control though, but there are still some individuals not wrestling up to what the expectations were.

125- I was excited to see Kysen go against these two. I think he would have lost both, but I wanted to see him against this level of competition. Teske has drastically improved. My faith is not lost with Kysen. Aden Reeves however...…..Whatever scholly we gave him as a blue chip recruit I hope is now being used differently or bringing in different recruits. I understand his injury completely changed his future, but this isnt charity. I'm done feeling bad about his situation.

133- I've been big on Redding as soon as he committed. Those east coast boys are TOUGH. Bright future ahead.

141- Someone has been working with Metcalf more....workmanlike

149- I slept on my thoughts on this one. Still woke up very disappointed. I understand he isnt 100% and that is holding him back from some of his offense or certain situations like being extended too much in on a shot, but even his mat wrestling was questionable against Lara. Simple fundamentals, like not reaching back, etc. I hope he can recover from that knee tweak and get back to better health.

157- He might be the wrestler who has taken the biggest jump from last year. Weird to say being the level he was already at. On a side note, ducking is becoming a problem in NCAA wrestling. I hate it. It's the exact opposite of why kids chose to wrestle when they were younger. I was looking forward to Carr destroying Teemer for the people who think they are still close.

165- Overall happy with his performance this weekend. I dont know what happened with Valencia this weekend but he looked terrible. Schoenfelder about beat him as well. I was more impressed with his ability to go out against Schoenfelder and prove he can win toss up matches for us at a much needed weight.

174- I've given him time to develop. I've been patient, but I'm fading on him. NO sense of urgency out there. Idk if its his conditioning or not, its not like he's working hard on offense. I'd like to see him have a go to leg attack come Tulsa.

184- Pretty happy with Sammy. Keckesein can go for days. I think blood time helped, but he was defending a machine gun of attacks. He wrestles better against highly ranked opponents. He brings that mean pissed off clubbing pace. If Dresser can find a way to bring that out of him every match we're golden.

197- Time to make Coleman the starter. He's looking bigger and better as the year goes on. Is he the best wrestler at the weight? Not even sure about that, but he's the most solid in all positions and our best chance to qualify a spot for St. Louis. Yonger has many more years to develop. If Coleman is going to be the man, let him get the matches.

HWT- Schultz is very tough for being a freshman. I was still expecting our senior to beat their freshman. Annoyed the strategy seemed to be wanting to go to rideouts instead of looking for offense. Rebounded nicely against Isley. Great snap to single to start the match and set the tone. He's had his number.
I agree that Coleman should be the starter from here on out. He’s our best option to make Nationals and put together a full tournament at Big 12’s.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020

When you're already downed on your hip and your opponent has your hips covered and you still reach near arm back across his body the rules do apply to you. That's why he got buried. He can bring all his other funk with him like his leg sweeps, russians and snaking opponents on single legs, he's very good at that, but sometimes you have to just belly out. Like Ape said, I'm sure there is no one harder on him than himself and that one will stay with him for awhile.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I agree that Coleman should be the starter from here on out. He’s our best option to make Nationals and put together a full tournament at Big 12’s.

I agree, Coleman seems like our most solids option at 197. If he can keep hanging muscle on that frame, I think he'll be pretty dang good next season.

As for sending out Yonger against Norfleet, I have to wonder if Yonger and Norfleet have met in freestyle competition before? I'm not sure if there's an easy way to figure that out, but perhaps Yonger owns a freestyle win and the coaches were hoping for a mental edge there, hoping Yonger could beat Norfleet on his feet? Just a thought.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
When you're already downed on your hip and your opponent has your hips covered and you still reach near arm back across his body the rules do apply to you. That's why he got buried. He can bring all his other funk with him like his leg sweeps, russians and snaking opponents on single legs, he's very good at that, but sometimes you have to just belly out. Like Ape said, I'm sure there is no one harder on him than himself and that one will stay with him for awhile.
Not true, there was a "fan" on FB saying Jarrett brings nothing to the team: no energy on the mat or off, doesn't try to get the team bonus points, wrestles heartless, & that he's a cancer & unfortunate to this team. All comments were scrubbed now but he's a POS & if he's on here, go ride your horse in 4-H & get as many accolades as Jarrett b/c you're quite the man..... Sorry for the rant.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Jarrett is not a cancer to this team. I think he is quite the opposite. I hear people thinking he is always stalling. They just don't understand or appreciate that his style is different. I like watching him and his unorthodox style. It is different and others can learn from him. He is a great young man and glad he is a Cyclone!

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Not true, there was a "fan" on FB saying Jarrett brings nothing to the team: no energy on the mat or off, doesn't try to get the team bonus points, wrestles heartless, & that he's a cancer & unfortunate to this team. All comments were scrubbed now but he's a POS & if he's on here, go ride your horse in 4-H & get as many accolades as Jarrett b/c you're quite the man..... Sorry for the rant.
Always some bad apples on SM running their mouth and never accomplishing anything. Jarrett has been a great team guy and all of us are glad he’s a Cyclone. Prior to Carr coming he was our only consistent bonus guy for awhile. Always working to put it on his opponent.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I've never seen anyone wrestle like Degen, and I don't know if I ever will again, but someone would have to be pretty ignorant about wrestling to think he's stalling. He's almost always controlling the ties and looking for a trip or a throw-by, or whatever else he does is called. He tweeted a couple weeks ago that he's basically making stuff up out there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've never seen anyone wrestle like Degen, and I don't know if I ever will again, but someone would have to be pretty ignorant about wrestling to think he's stalling. He's almost always controlling the ties and looking for a trip or a throw-by, or whatever else he does is called. He tweeted a couple weeks ago that he's basically making stuff up out there.
I don’t know if this was what you were referring to but I thought this was pretty funny.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Not true? My guess would be that was an iowa troll. If you're implying it's me for giving criticism, you are certainly wrong.

Help Support Us

Become a patron