"Underclassed" and No. 2

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
Tyler Clark lost to Matt McDonough from Linn-Mar in the title match.

Billy Lewis beat Jeremy Garvin of Iowa City West for the 3rd place finish.

They both sound like solid wrestlers and would be nice to have here at ISU.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
Not to be mean, but guys who don't win state their senior year don't typically turn out to be great college wrestlers.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
A lot of improvement can be made in a D1 wrestling room (especially with the greatest wrestler of all-time in the room). They probably won't contribute for a few years but could be solid wrestler later in their career. I'm pretty sure ISU isn't looking for these guys to come in and dominate. They will help provide depth and competition in the room.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Not to be mean, but guys who don't win state their senior year don't typically turn out to be great college wrestlers.

I'm not sure that's the best way to look at it. If they lose 2 matches all season, and one of those two happens to be in the State Finals... I think the season as a whole is a better indicator than just one tourney/match.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA

I called them solid wrestlers because they both did win state titles in IL last year and then open enrolled in Bettendorf because they obviously wanted to wrestle against the tougher opposition in IA. They both ammased a record of 39-3 and that is still impressive. There is no way to actually tell but they would have been the front runners to repeat as champions in IL but they choose the harder route and went to wrestle in IA. I like that and I hope that points to their character and them wanting to be the best wrestler that they can be.

isu_bub

Apr 10, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I called them solid wrestlers because they both did win state titles in IL last year and then open enrolled in Bettendorf because they obviously wanted to wrestle against the tougher opposition in IA. They both ammased a record of 39-3 and that is still impressive. There is no way to actually tell but they would have been the front runners to repeat as champions in IL but they choose the harder route and went to wrestle in IA. I like that and I hope that points to their character and them wanting to be the best wrestler that they can be.

Nick Fanthorpe was a state champion (x2) in Illinois. Nothing to bring down about him!

You can't bring in guys who are immediate starters (after a redshirt) every year. It's near impossible to sign that solid of talent all the time and most wrestlers who are worth a dang usually don't want to go into a situation where they'll be stuck behind someone on the roster for more than a year. Right now we have young guys at the majority of the weight classes. Just wait and see what Cael can bring in talent wise in the years to come!

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Hey Lewis & Clark.....we've got some pioneers coming in! Hah...bad joke....I know virtually nothing about wrestling, what does sending 10 guys to nationals say for our chances at winning a national title? I would think this bodes pretty well. Thanks in advance if anybody has any insight.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
The more wrestlers you have will obviously help in any situation. In wrestling for ISU, Turner is a great example. Turner places third in the Big 12s (he was the low seed)which brought in a minimum of 6 points to the total. So anytime a wrestler qualifies for the NCAA's and earns point is a plus, to earn points above their seeding is bonus points to the team. The more you have qualified, the better you have the opportinity to score points, and and additional plus is you are actually competing as a complete team. Unity in support is a additional plus.

Some people were hard on Backous, however he wrestled to his seed. Let's hope he wrestles above his seed for nationals. He will hold a key. With Mueller being hurt was an impact, however now with his qualifying for the NCAA's. hopefully the additional two weeks will serve his injury well. This team has great leadership from coaching on through. Let's hope everyone peaks at nationals, it would be nice to see 6 -8 All Americans (top eight places) come out of nationals.

Go Cyclones!