UCLA /new rumors (+ back story on strange search for coach)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Both of these guys are too old to be considered great hires for UCLA. Great resumes, but starting a new job in your mid 60s?

Yeah and what exactly are they going to do there in the twilight of their careers?

Don't know enough about UCLA but just a guess that their AD struggles with this kind of stuff.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Regardless, things in TCU land have to be just a little tense. Once questions start up about a coach looking to leave...it will not be easy for Dixon to recruit there.

This is why when coaches ask for a buyout to be reduced so they can leave, a school will generally negotiate. The buyout is supposed to keep the job hunting process from starting by warning potential suitors that the coach and school have a long term arrangement, not prevent it on the back end once he's got one foot out the door. Now that it is public knowledge that Dixon is prepared to leave TCU, his recruiting is ****** if he stays. They will have to fire him now when things go south and any coach looking to go there will think twice.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
UCLA is a great job. The arena was completely remodeled. I’ve been inside and they spared no expense. They have a new practice facility and the campus is in Beverly Hills. There are 18 million people within driving distance and 35 million in California.

I thought Hoiberg would have been a great choice.
Got to have fans show up.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
At what point do you say screw it and invite Alford back? Or isn't there some successful alum you might give a try ala Penny Hardaway?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
UCLA is a great job. The arena was completely remodeled. I’ve been inside and they spared no expense. They have a new practice facility and the campus is in Beverly Hills. There are 18 million people within driving distance and 35 million in California.

I thought Hoiberg would have been a great choice.

They also fly commercial instead of chartering like EVERY OTHER P5 SCHOOL. If Hoiberg didn’t like the right purse-strings at ISU, I don’t see how UCLA would have ever worked. At least until the PAC gets their stuff together, UCLA is a middle-tier job with blue blood expectations.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
His dad screwed him over for a few dollars. Kid should be on his way to UCLA on a full ride but now will end up hopefully at best the G League.
LaMelo? He's going over seas for a year, either Australia or China. Then he'll probably get drafted in 2020.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I have no desire to live in Cali, but I mean, I'll take the UCLA gig. I'll even do it for a mill a year.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This. And IMO the Sooners don't deserve a good BB coach.If Kruger took them to a Final For they would still not show up for games and complain that he did not win it all.
Maybe this is what you were getting at but he did take them to a final four and they still don’t care about basketball.