U of I loses $1.4 million in lawsuit

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like Barta didn't try very hard to build a case against her, even though he had to know the lawsuit was coming. Meyer even kept blah notes given to her by coaches years ago. Maybe he was afraid that keeping things would be used against him.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I read a few different articles detailing the hearing. I feel like the AD was run like a good ole boys network or something. She had pretty glowing reviews, and had been in charge of quite a bit at UI, then it all changed.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not the complete transcripts, but multiple witness transcripts are available throughout the interwebz.

I haven't read a single thing that even remotely made me side with the Iowa AD's office. Given I didn't follow it avidly, but from what I saw on Twitter and the DMR, I was pretty sure she was going to win.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds like a lack of documentation is what did them in. Iowa's attorneys claimed that there were tons of complaints against her, and that's why she was let go, but none of it was documented. Official documentation only showed satisfactory performance reviews.

Yep. Not sure what kind of employer doesn't keep detailed records before firing someone. Barta is an idiot.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Local radio here in Iowa City said on the way home, that the university was giving her good reviews on purpose so other employers would hire her and she would leave.

Spin Spin Spin.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
How much of the $1.4 M is the Iowa taxpayer on the hook for?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Juries are dumb and easily manipulated. The justice system is just as screwed up as the rest of America. And no I'm not talking about this case in particular because all I've paid attention to are what people are talking about on the radio.

I love that the lawyer says she's $1.4 million dollars richer while we know that is bunk as they will take a good 30-50% chunk I imagine and then the government may take another good chunk.
It's a really bad decision. At will employee fired bc she was bad at her job.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Which is exactly why she won her case. UI brought no physical evidence forward, only testimony. It basically turned into a battle of he said she said, and due to the fact that many of the people that testified are currently still working for Gary Barta I think it may have skewed the jury in some ways.
The problem still is though he could. Have fired her one day bc she smelled bad and he would have been within his rights. For the jury to see this as discrimation is crazy. I would be worried if I were ISU too with this result

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The problem still is though he could. Have fired her one day bc she smelled bad and he would have been within his rights. For the jury to see this as discrimation is crazy. I would be worried if I were ISU too with this result

I think the key is that they didn't keep records. There was no documentation that she was doing a bad job. That's on Iowa.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Performance reviews are so critical in so many ways, and so many supervisors hate doing them and gloss over them. I am dealing with a situation right now where I have had to do very strict documented performance review followed by performance improvement plan before I can terminate, in a right to work state. The attorney says I can fire the person, but I need to do all of the above in case there is a lawsuit to protect my organization. Most supervisors don't want to put in the time to do documentation, and hence therein lies the problem.