Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Yeah I don't buy that at all. I assume his handler, wasn't it a brother, probably just steered him towards highest bid.
I would hope at this point Tyrese has fired his handler.

He's on his way quickly to becoming a Euro pro baller. Which isn't a bad life, but it's not the NBA. It is bearing out in real time that Lipsey is a better PG than him, full stop. Lipsey has better defense, better passing, oh and he can now shoot the 3 better. Lipsey is also a much better teammate and leader.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I would hope at this point Tyrese has fired his handler.

He's on his way quickly to becoming a Euro pro baller. Which isn't a bad life, but it's not the NBA. It is bearing out in real time that Lipsey is a better PG than him, full stop. Lipsey has better defense, better passing, oh and he can now shoot the 3 better. Lipsey is also a much better teammate and leader.
Tyrese was not going to be an NBA player anyway. Might as well get money before heading to Europe, as seems to be the trend now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Incredible that Hunter team made the sweet 16. Hunter, Caleb Grill and Tristan Enaruna all saw major minutes in that Wisconsin game. Jaz Kunc was great but his game was a bit limited. George Conditt Jr. Brockington and Kalscheur. TJ has done an incredible job upgrading the overall talent on the roster year over year.

Matchups matter and a soft WI team and big but clunky LSU team that had weird things going on with their coaching were ideal for that 21-22 team.

In some ways that team should be honored more for how they set the tone in how hard they played and set a standard.

Even in the NIL/transfer era it's been fun watching TJ and co. gradually build a very solid program.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The OG of that take is Cam Newton back when it paying players was still illegal. He didn't know his dad took 250K for him to go to Auburn, he just happened to go there anyway. Crazy coincidence that allowed for Auburn to play a season of pro football with no consequences.
Guess it depends on who's doing it but it was never "illegal " for boosters to pay players. Only against NCAA rules.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Incredible that Hunter team made the sweet 16. Hunter, Caleb Grill and Tristan Enaruna all saw major minutes in that Wisconsin game. Jaz Kunc was great but his game was a bit limited. George Conditt Jr. Brockington and Kalscheur. TJ has done an incredible job upgrading the overall talent on the roster year over year.
Brockington was a phenomenal player for us. Put him on this years team and your probably in the final four.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
So in summary:
- Tyrese left for $X00,000 to go play for Beard at Texas
- He publicly said it wasn’t about money, but others in know insist it was a factor
- There was some public ribbing between him and our players, notably Gabe Kalscheur on social media. We may never know what “smoke” went down behind the scenes.
- Tyrese got booed in Ames. He posted some petty tweets about ISU sports losing later on
- That dingus running an AAU basketball gym in DSM suburbs invited Texas to use like a practice facility. Same guy who got kicked off ISU basketball for weed a decade ago. Can’t remember his name nor do I care to.
- Coach Terry ran a dumpster fire and Tyrese didn’t make the jump some thought he would. Now he’s portaling again

There’s the highlights

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
We've had Hunter threads like this before and posts like yours and the most I can recall is some **** talking he did to Gabe that Gabe wasn't going to make public?
And Chris, staff, etc probably know the real details but as professionals it seems like the truth hasn't leaked and that says a lot about them being trustworthy.
This. He’s never publicly sh*t on ISU. The only thing anyone who says he was shi**ing on ISU on his way out the door only post his picture in front of the Orr statue and allude to the banter back and forth on twitter between him and Gabe. Both of those things happened 8-9 months after he left ISU and had to deal with 8-9 months of cyclone fans bashing him the entire time.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
This. He’s never publicly sh*t on ISU. The only thing anyone who says he was shi**ing on ISU on his way out the door only post his picture in front of the Orr statue and allude to the banter back and forth on twitter between him and Gabe. Both of those things happened 8-9 months after he left ISU and had to deal with 8-9 months of cyclone fans bashing him the entire time.
If he cant tolerate our level of bashing hes going to be in for a world of hurt when horns up fans are digging in.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Tyrese going for a second payday. Good for him. Hopefully he didn't lose any NIL earnings by leaving Texas.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
If he cant tolerate our level of bashing hes going to be in for a world of hurt when horns up fans are digging in.

"our level of bashing"

At Wells Fargo playing...............Colgate? Sounds personal to me. What...are you 14? Are you related to TJ? I don't get it. He honors his commitment to ISU with a coach who didn't recruit him. Helped that first year coach have a huge season and make the sweet 16................and this is what he gets for saying thanks, but no thanks after that?

Seek help or grow up.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
What is the earning potential of a high level European pro? I don't follow that. I'd guess if you could average over $125K (I bet it is kind if pricey living an international life) that would be a nice living and let you put some away. I just don't know what they make.

AND, isn't this just a tale of now money vs. long term investment that MULTIPLE Billions of people have gambled on for millennia? It is too bad and I hate to see the waste of good talent and I really wished Tyrese could have done better and could have done that with us. He was a great story.

Let's just hope he got the weighty bag some people thought he got and his advisors were as good at investing as they were at whispering in his ear. If they were, he could do worse in life. Most of us had nothing or, less than nothing, getting out of college. Imagine having a 10 year head start on that in the bank.
The top guys can get several $mill per year. It's not like it was 15-20 years ago. There's legitimate money in those leagues now. From some digging on google, is sounds like most players in the Euroleague get between $150k and around $5mill. It looks like the Chinese league pays the best. Euroleague average is $500k-$800k.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
The top guys can get several $mill per year. It's not like it was 15-20 years ago. There's legitimate money in those leagues now. From some digging on google, is sounds like most players in the Euroleague get between $150k and around $5mill. It looks like the Chinese league pays the best. Euroleague average is $500k-$800k.
OK, that is a LOT more than I thought it would be. Figured something in the range of $250K average. Well, then if these young men want to develop for the long term, then they need to learn to make better decisions.

How many non-athletes do you know that made dumb decisions they have had to live with the rest of their lives? This is just a little more public.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm just arguing the fact a bit that guys like Lipsey or Hunter improve their shooting because of coaching. First, there wasn't a person on the planet, the two players included, that didn't know three point shooting was a massive hole in their games that needed to be hammered in the offseason. And as for the improvement itself, that is pretty much solely on the player. The extent that a head coach improves a three point shooter goes about as far as "here's your role, if you want to play you have to knock down 3s."

There's a big difference in coaching, but I don't that difference played out at all in who improved more as a three point shooter. I think that came down to one guy putting in a lot more time than the other.
Players do have to put in the work, however coaching a shooter can make a difference. If you want a well documented example just look at the Monte Morris gum wrapper.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Guess it depends on who's doing it but it was never "illegal " for boosters to pay players. Only against NCAA rules.
I used to use that word that narrowly as well, but some dictionaries define it more expansively.

Merriam Webster:
: not according to or authorized by law : UNLAWFUL, ILLICIT
also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)