Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
George better be careful or he will be tagged..........."toxic".
So at the risk of getting even more disappointed, what do you think George is implying here? That he knows Tyrese didn't really like ISU, that he knows Tyrese has always wanted to play for a blue blood, that Tyrese doesn't think our coaches or our offense can showcase him enough? (which I doubt since he blew up nationally during Sweet 16 run).
What the heck is it?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Really? I'd rather be a back up at school A and make $600,000 than start for school B for free tuition and room/board etc. I'd get that at school A anyway. If I'm good enough to play pro, I'll play pro. Might as well get rich in college. :cool:

@CyJack13 is being your typical contrarian.

Ignoring things like blue bloods will no have ZERO recruiting misses other than a rare 5* freshman who was overated.

Evaluating and recruiting at programs with money just became guaranteed success.

You know who just did major evaluating and recruiting for a blue blood program? TJ Otzelberger.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
We're going to be relegated to a de-facto farm school (no, not the Ag type). This is a direct result of the NIL free-for-all. Gonna have to recruit like hell out of high school and mid-majors and hope we can get a year or two of good production before someone buys them away from us.
You recruit the portal. We’re somewhat protected by the one time transfer rule.

Reactions: jakemcilroy

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
It's going to be interesting to see how I feel about college basketball in 5 years.

I absolutely lovely the game of baseball, but I've developed a lot of disdain for major league baseball. It's too much of a business. Owners seem to care only about profits/losses. Players care about maximizing their next contract. It feels like CBB is going in that direction.

And I understand the same could potentially be said about professional sports in general. I believe the NFL is better because of the hard salary cap. You don't have your haves and have nots.

This feels like Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc. are going to be akin to the Dodgers & Yankees of the world. I guess you have to hope ISU will fall to a middle tier (and not the Pirates, A's, Royals zone), but maybe the lack of parody just leads to a lack of interest.
The loss of longevity on rosters is huge. You remove a huge reason for people to take ownership in their team - feeling like they know "their players" and having people make a true commitment to that particular city. But when businesses have become increasingly disloyal toward their employees and the world is much more cut-throat, it's insane to expect employees - in this case, players - to hold to some standard of conduct that the institutions won't.

As soon people aren't considered "valuable enough" now, they are thrown to the side. I've seen it all the time in my life personally. At first, it was my parents' friends who had worked loyally for a company for 20-25+ years getting laid off in their mid- to late-50s when it's impossible to get any type of job that could even come close to replacing that money-wise, let alone match their career ambitions or goals. So they looked for hourly-wage jobs just to keep busy and sunk into periods of depression. Then it happened to my uncle, and my other aunts and uncles began feeling the pressure to retire as soon as possible, so their companies could clear the payrolls. Finally, it hit my dad. He lost his job at 57 after working for the same company for 29 years - Zoom meeting on a Tuesday, clean out your office by Friday. He has applied for numerous jobs in his field but no one will even take a look at him because they think he's too expensive and don't want to invest money into any potential (expensive and specialized) training for an employee that might just give them a few years. My parents' entire financial plan for retirement was based around him working until at least 62, ideally 65. Now, they are smart and planned for the worst but replacing 5-8 years of peak income just isn't going to happen for him. Their true plans for retirement are never going to happen - they are the type of people that sacrificed a lot to raise us as kids and kept deferring their dreams for seeing the world while carefully saving to make it happen in their 60s. Now they're just hoping to make what they have saved work to pay the bills and get the mortgage fully paid in a few years. By the same token, can you blame any athlete, who all have very short windows for peak success in their careers, for trying to take full advantage of any financial opportunity knowing that the vast majority of people in corporate/athletic leadership positions could care less about them as people and are likely to screw them over to protect the "bottom line?"

Personally, I think Tyrese might be short-sighted especially if he takes money now while losing PT and the chance to fully showcase his skills - he could have been better off staying at ISU for 1-2 more years as the star and getting lots of exposure that way. But it's hard to argue against the kind of money being floated when you know that time is short and most people in positions of power have absolutely zero loyalty anymore.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Clark has 152K followers on Instagram, 29K on Twitter and probably 100K plus on tick tok. She is a national name

Hunter has maybe 10% of the following and isn't widely known outside of the region and MBB diehards

That's the vast majority of the best college athletes.

How many followers do most AAA baseball players have. How much endorsement money do they get?

The tax payers and alumni tuition were carrying this thing, it won't last without that.

Who in their right mind would have given JBo money for sitting on the bench of Cedar Rapids minor league basketball team? Nobody. Throw a Hawkeye logo on his chest...changes everything. Who spent the money to build that Cyclone logo or Hawkey logo into something? Students and tax payers.

Last edited:

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
So at the risk of getting even more disappointed, what do you think George is implying here? That he knows Tyrese didn't really like ISU, that he knows Tyrese has always wanted to play for a blue blood, that Tyrese doesn't think our coaches or our offense can showcase him enough? (which I doubt since he blew up nationally during Sweet 16 run).
What the heck is it?
That’s the million dollar question. But the NIL narrative just isn’t flying with me.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You can enter it as many times as you want and can back out and stay at the school if you’d like
So....that's why Arkansas can have their name on every transfer or too many on board yet...somebody might get NIL'ed out of their schollie?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
What the heck is it?
I think maybe he just didn’t click with the coaches like he did with Prohm. Gave it a shot. Now money is calling too and it makes the decision easy

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
We're going to be relegated to a de-facto farm school (no, not the Ag type). This is a direct result of the NIL free-for-all. Gonna have to recruit like hell out of high school and mid-majors and hope we can get a year or two of good production before someone buys them away from us.
Probably make it so they can transfer during the season soon

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
This pretty much sucks. College sports are a joke. Not a fan so much of pro sports but can do football. NBA with the pick and roll and 3 point shot primarily - no thanks.

Reactions: exCYtable

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
@CyJack13 is being your typical contrarian.

Ignoring things like blue bloods will no have ZERO recruiting misses other than a rare 5* freshman who was overated.

Evaluating and recruiting at programs with money just became guaranteed success.

You know who just did major evaluating and recruiting for a blue blood program? TJ Otzelberger.

Explain to me how this is going to lead to more concentrated talent on blue blood rosters? There's only so many roster spots. You really think blue bloods are going to get 15-20 elite guys to all want to be on the same team. Zero chance that happens.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You can enter it as many times as you want and can back out and stay at the school if you’d like

Yeah, sorry but every player is a moron to not enter the portal every year and float their name.

Both to see what they can get, and in case their program pays a pro to play over them.

Even if you're the highest paid player at Duke or UNC and for some reason your body type doesn't make you an NBA draft lock...you should still enter portal because who knows.

It's not unlike fringe NBA draft picks declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent. There's no down side.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump

ianjbark3r

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 1, 2021
This feels even worse than the uncertainty around conference realignment. At least when we were done with that, we still fell like we were playing with the big boys.

Today confirmed that we are not, no matter what conference we arbitrarily end up in. NIL as it exists now has rendered on-court success moot. How are you supposed to build a team and celebrate success when, at the end of the day, it probably won't mean anything for long-term growth?

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron