Twister Sister Summary - Whining doesn't cut it...but defense does

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
i taught at Drake when Bluder was there. She’s been a nasty person forever.

I always kind of liked Jennie Lillis whatever her last name is now. I guess she won’t be in the conference long. I may be giving her too much credit, hard to watch much women’s basketball and Bluder might have worn off on her.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My takes from being at the game tonight. Clark is an intolerable whiner to the refs, it would be exhausting to be an Iowa fan and watch her every game complain about ever call. Even very clear ones. I have no idea what Bluder was doing not fouling down 2 possessions with 40 seconds left. I understand ISU is a good FT shooting team but you have to trade 3 for 2 at that point and extend the game. Very odd choice for an experienced coach.

It looked like Clark intentionally fouled to stop the clock and then whined about the call.

Reactions: Jerms

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Usually you transfer to get more minutes. Kylie transfered to play less.
I think she probably transferred to get away from Coach Fen. Some players can take him others can't. I hold nothing against her. Good for her if she found a situation that fits her better. I just hope she doesn't start taking on the whining personality of Frau Blucher like most Iowa players seem to.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think Clark is a great player. She hit some incredible shots including the one from just off the center logo. However as has been mentioned she whines incessantly and her game seems predicated on blasting into defenders and expecting a call. To her credit she generally makes the shot, but she expects to have an 'and one' on every play. She is pretty much unstoppable if the refs give her the star treatment and call all of that contact fouls. She also is very physical with the off arm while she has the ball or is trying to get open. It was gratifying to see her finally get an offensive foul in the 4Q when she threw her defender into a screening teammate at the top of the key.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

tomvet

Aug 30, 2014
I've had Drake season tickets the last couple of years when a good friend of mine's grandaughter played for her the last 4 years. I never saw the excessive whining some are talking about. She's a class act and a players coach. The players loved her. I hope she does well at Oklahoma except when we play her.

Reactions: acoustimac

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Bluder started the post game press conference whining about the foul discrepancy and then kept on whining. Clark is a great player but you could foul her out before half. She pushes off with her off hand almost every time she drives.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Bluder started the post game press conference whining about the foul discrepancy and then kept on whining. Clark is a great player but you could foul her out before half. She pushes off with her off hand almost every time she drives.

Did she really open her press conference like that?

Just goes to show you what a bad coach she is….. good coaches don’t do that. They congratulate the other team and then talk about the good things their team did, and the things they will need to work on going forward. What a POS.

Fennelly has lost this game 5 times in a row to Iowa…. I don’t ever remember him whining about the refs in the post game presser.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My takes from being at the game tonight. Clark is an intolerable whiner to the refs, it would be exhausting to be an Iowa fan and watch her every game complain about ever call. Even very clear ones. I have no idea what Bluder was doing not fouling down 2 possessions with 40 seconds left. I understand ISU is a good FT shooting team but you have to trade 3 for 2 at that point and extend the game. Very odd choice for an experienced coach.
She didn’t foul and then was going to hit layups to come back it seemed. I was happy when she let 24 seconds run off the clock and then foul us. Their center was playing like it was the NBA. Our posts did a nice job holding up to her flying elbows and shoving.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
AMES — Iowa women’s basketball coach Lisa Bluder is rarely afraid to tell things how she sees them. She opened her news conference after the Hawkeyes’ first loss to Iowa State in six years with some frustration.

“When you don’t shoot free throws, it’s hard to win a game,” Bluder said after Wednesday’s 77-70 setback before a terrific crowd at Hilton Coliseum. “We only shoot six. They shoot 22. I felt like we should’ve been shooting a lot more.

“When you give up 16 (more) free throws to a really good basketball team, it’s hard to win.”

As Bluder sized up the stat sheet, she saw that her two star players — Monika Czinano and Caitlin Clark — were 5-for-5 from the line. The rest of the Iowa team was 0-for-1.

The last time Iowa shot fewer than six free throws in a game? A Nov. 24, 2018 loss to Florida State in which Iowa shot 3-for-4.

“I think we drew a lot of fouls that weren’t called. I thought (Czinano) got beat up like crazy,” Bluder said. “And they have 15 fouls to give with three posts. They were willing to use them. But you’ve got to call them to use them.”

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark appeals for a foul call during the Hawkeyes' 77-70 loss to Iowa State.

Coaches always want to more foul calls, of course. And they know that foul disparities can sometimes be the plight of road teams in a hostile environment. Iowa State was whistled for 12 fouls to Iowa’s 20.

“It was pretty physical. I thought I got pretty beat up. I thought Monika got a lot of contact as well,” said Clark, who was 10-for-26 from the field. “It’s not anything you don’t see in the Big Ten. It’s something we’re used to.”

The Cyclones (9-1) snapped their five-game series losing streak by being aggressive. They hustled for a lot of early loose balls and finished with a 44-39 rebounding edge, too. Seeing the Hawkeyes (5-2) look a step slow brought up another question.

Is Iowa still feeling the effects of its COVID-19 pause?
First things first, Bluder wasn’t using the Hawkeyes’ positive COVID-19 tests in November — which essentially shut down team activities for nearly two weeks — as an excuse.

“I’m not going to sit here and say that’s why we lost this game. Does it have an impact when kids have COVID? I think it does,” Bluder said. “I think it’s hard to battle back from that. But Iowa State played great tonight. They played really, really well. So be it.”

But the Hawkeyes obviously weren’t their high-scoring, efficient selves on Wednesday. They shot just 40.6% from the floor and just couldn’t string much together. They made just 6 of 19 shots in the fourth quarter.

Before the pause, Iowa was ranked No. 9 in the country, off to a 4-0 start, averaging 88.3 points per game and outscoring opponents by 30.3 per game.

In the three games since the pause, Iowa is 1-2 with an ugly loss at Duke; one OK half and one great second half against Michigan State; and Wednesday’s loss in Ames.

Bluder said canceling three games — one against Drake and two neutral-site matchups in Cancun — was a bigger loss than just the time off.

“We only had six games coming in here. And you learn a lot from those games,” Bluder said. “Two of those games would’ve been played away from Carver-Hawkeye Arena, which would’ve been great for us.”

Iowa was can look to last year’s NCAA men’s champion to find a team that found COVID-19 adversity and eventually overcame it.

After Baylor was steamrolling the competition into February of 2021, it had to pause basketball activities and had a full three weeks between games. In the first game back, Baylor struggled to beat last-place Iowa State at home then got beaten soundly at Kansas. The Bears took time to get their legs back, but when they did, they were dynamic.

This is the Rag article.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I think she probably transferred to get away from Coach Fen. Some players can take him others can't. I hold nothing against her. Good for her if she found a situation that fits her better. I just hope she doesn't start taking on the whining personality of Frau Blucher like most Iowa players seem to.
I used to hoop with Kylie's dad :) He was decidedly NOT a whiner.

Reactions: VeloClone