Twister Sister Summary - OSU isn’t in first any more

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Observations from tonight’s game...

If there is one thing to be said about this twister sisters squad it they have no quit in them. OSU made pushes several times in the second half to cut double digit leads down to five points. Every single time the sisters answered. EVERY single time. It was a drive. It was a trey. It was key rebounds. They answered the call and knocked OSU from the top of the Big 12 standings.

The other thing to be said is we likely watched the two best players in the conference tonight. Mack and Joens put on a show. We don’t have a post that can guard Mack so she pretty much had free reign under the hoop going for 34 and 13. But she’s no one trick pony. She easily stepped out and hit a few from the 10-12 foot range. She has quite the story too. If you haven’t heard it...look it up. Very inspiring. Joens did her thing as well. She had to work for it more as Ashley often does, but she notched another double double with 30 and 15. The big difference is Joens has a better supporting cast and that won the game tonight.

When OSU started fouling at the end it was kind of half hearted. It was like they knew we wouldn’t miss and the game was over. Another great night at the line going 12-13.

The threes have continued to fall. Percentage was just like the last game (49%) and every single one was at a crucial time. Interestingly, at the end of the game it was layups and mid rangers that did the trick.

Ryan continues to dish. Six assists on the night and had one beautiful one handed pass inside for two in the first half.

Donarski. What can you say? When she’s on the court it’s like having a Ferrari out there. Quick, fearless and deadly.

Maddie had her best game of the year. A dozen points to go along with dealing with Mack all night.

M&M just keeps on cooking. Puts in 15.

I’m curious what’s happened to Aubrey Joens? Her playing time has dropped big time,

Finally...this team is fun to watch, crazy frustrating at times, but fun. Unlike some teams in the past I know there is more in the tank when they need it. The depth is unlike anything we’ve probably ever seen for a sisters team. There are numerous players coach can put in the game with no drop off or fear they are a liability. This is a good thing. Especially when they are so young. Fun times ahead folks...fun times ahead.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
What's happened to Aubrey and a little bit Kylie is Maggie coming back from her injury. Also BF is not used to having the talent to rotate more that 7-8 players.

Reactions: ISC

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Completely agree with other assessments about what’s going on with Aubrey. The depth this team has is an incredible asset for coach, but it makes the players have to really step up if they want playing time. part of my question was more related to seeing increased playing time for Rae while Aubrey’s playing time diminished. On the plus side this may mean that the senior has stepped up her game and I would say her performance while on the court has been exemplary.

• Agree

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Observations from tonight’s game...

If there is one thing to be said about this twister sisters squad it they have no quit in them. OSU made pushes several times in the second half to cut double digit leads down to five points. Every single time the sisters answered. EVERY single time. It was a drive. It was a trey. It was key rebounds. They answered the call and knocked OSU from the top of the Big 12 standings.

The other thing to be said is we likely watched the two best players in the conference tonight. Mack and Joens put on a show. We don’t have a post that can guard Mack so she pretty much had free reign under the hoop going for 34 and 13. But she’s no one trick pony. She easily stepped out and hit a few from the 10-12 foot range. She has quite the story too. If you haven’t heard it...look it up. Very inspiring. Joens did her thing as well. She had to work for it more as Ashley often does, but she notched another double double with 30 and 15. The big difference is Joens has a better supporting cast and that won the game tonight.

When OSU started fouling at the end it was kind of half hearted. It was like they knew we wouldn’t miss and the game was over. Another great night at the line going 12-13.

The threes have continued to fall. Percentage was just like the last game (49%) and every single one was at a crucial time. Interestingly, at the end of the game it was layups and mid rangers that did the trick.

Ryan continues to dish. Six assists on the night and had one beautiful one handed pass inside for two in the first half.

Donarski. What can you say? When she’s on the court it’s like having a Ferrari out there. Quick, fearless and deadly.

Maddie had her best game of the year. A dozen points to go along with dealing with Mack all night.

M&M just keeps on cooking. Puts in 15.

I’m curious what’s happened to Aubrey Joens? Her playing time has dropped big time,

Finally...this team is fun to watch, crazy frustrating at times, but fun. Unlike some teams in the past I know there is more in the tank when they need it. The depth is unlike anything we’ve probably ever seen for a sisters team. There are numerous players coach can put in the game with no drop off or fear they are a liability. This is a good thing. Especially when they are so young. Fun times ahead folks...fun times ahead.

My observations from inside Hilton are pretty much what you said... I'll add a few...

* This is the biggest -> Wise battled her a$$ off trying to guard Mack -> who she realistically had no business guarding. She was throwing it ALL on the line to try though.
* Kane probably played her best game as a Cyclone?
* Ryan showed a lot of resolve as she missed her first like 5 shots and then came back to hit a few clutch 3s towards the end of the game
* Lexi had 2 NASTY step back 3s... like just filthy / no way to guard type moves.
* Nice to see Rae get some PT again, I still think she has a lot to offer this team in experience and poised play
* Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw is getting back into form. Even if she doesn't end up back in the starting line-up, I have a feeling she'll play over 20 minutes per game. She instantly makes this team better when she's playing.
* I thought the crowd did fairly well last night trying to get into the game. It's really hard to do with the distanced seating, but there was a lot of hooting and hollering (especially from me ;) )

And I'll add this little snippit - Last two conference games for the women:
* Against TTU: 99 points - 3 pt: 19/40 (47.5%) - FG% 48.6% - 23 assists on 34 made FG
* Against OK State: 90 points - 3 pt: 16/33 (48.5%) - FG% 44.9% - 16 assists on 31 made FG

Those are some GREAT looking numbers

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
My observations from inside Hilton are pretty much what you said... I'll add a few...

* This is the biggest -> Wise battled her a$$ off trying to guard Mack -> who she realistically had no business guarding. She was throwing it ALL on the line to try though.
* Kane probably played her best game as a Cyclone?
* Ryan showed a lot of resolve as she missed her first like 5 shots and then came back to hit a few clutch 3s towards the end of the game
* Lexi had 2 NASTY step back 3s... like just filthy / no way to guard type moves.
* Nice to see Rae get some PT again, I still think she has a lot to offer this team in experience and poised play
* Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw is getting back into form. Even if she doesn't end up back in the starting line-up, I have a feeling she'll play over 20 minutes per game. She instantly makes this team better when she's playing.
* I thought the crowd did fairly well last night trying to get into the game. It's really hard to do with the distanced seating, but there was a lot of hooting and hollering (especially from me ;) )

* Against TTU: 99 points - 3 pt: 19/40 (47.5%) - FG% 48.6% - 23 assists on 34 made FG
* Against OK State: 90 points - 3 pt: 16/33 (48.5%) - FG% 44.9% - 16 assists on 31 made FG

Those 2 jab steps were scary. If they bite she’s just going to blow by you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

^Truth. We could have shot our average and still have stomped Tech. We shoot our average last night and it's maybe a last possession game. With Scott out it was the prefect time to have another crazy good shooting night.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I'm not concerned about Aubrey's trajectory.
As many minutes as possible are being fed to Ashley, Lexi, and Emily. Rightly so.
Aubrey isn't a post so that leaves a timeshare of Lexi's starting spot between her, MEM, Rae, and Aubrey (and the 12-20 minutes per game that the other 3 starters sit).

And coach seems to be keeping Lexi, MEM, Rae, and Aubrey on pretty short leashes. I'm guessing they are told to go all out, and if they make a dumb mistake like a bad turnover, giving up offensive rebound, or fouling a shooter then it's time to sit.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is no denying that Mack is going to get hers. It would have been nice to also have Scott rotating in there, though. The lane would have really opened up if Mack had to spend more time on defense out on the arc.

The posts Bill had last night did a great job making her work for it, though.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
There is no denying that Mack is going to get hers. It would have been nice to also have Scott rotating in there, though. The lane would have really opened up if Mack had to spend more time on defense out on the arc.

The posts Bill had last night did a great job making her work for it, though.

If she went out to guard Wise she back cut her for a layup, or shot a 3 if left open.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah, Wise had a few textbook back door cuts to the basket on Mack and her team mates found her.

If you miss Hoiball this team can provide a little respite from the ass sucking that is the mbb now. Its killing me not being able to watch good mbb, so I’m all aboard. The ladies are really talented. They can shoot 3s and take teams off the dribble.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
The fast break to Kane in the first half looked like an Angie Welle moment!

The last two games have not been an anomaly for shooting. The long distance shooting has been substantially better the last five games as the freshmen have settled in. During the first 7 games the team was 53 of 200 or 28.5 percent from deep. During the last five games they are 70 of 147 or nearly 48 percent. And this includes the 4 of 14 at Texas.

So I think the future is looking up!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thinking the Cowgirls deserve a little shoutout for what they have done to keep the Big 12 schedule rolling in light of all of the Covid cancellations. They have played TCU twice, squeezing in a quick reschedule. They played with a eight gal roster for a few games until last night. Now they are off to the east coast to play WVU, another quick reschedule to accommodate other teams cancellations if I took last nights comments from B. Blum correctly.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Thinking the Cowgirls deserve a little shoutout for what they have done to keep the Big 12 schedule rolling in light of all of the Covid cancellations. They have played TCU twice, squeezing in a quick reschedule. They played with a eight gal roster for a few games until last night. Now they are off to the east coast to play WVU, another quick reschedule to accommodate other teams cancellations if I took last nights comments from B. Blum correctly.
Agreed. A really impressive start for them considering the unexpected opponents and quick turn-arounds even with a short roster for some of those. They are going to be a handful for the our team in Stillwater.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I thing I noticed was how gassed OSU became as each quarter went on. We have the fresh legs and lots to rotate which is a plus (don't be a jinx, everyone stay healthy) and that is going to take us far with COVID depleting other times and others having to play lots of minutes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron