Twister Sister Summary - End of season arrives in jarring style

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Not sure why some of the posters on here keep watching/following the team. Are there things that need to change YES. But some on here who have never been to a practice or had conversations with players post as if they know every detail about players. They talk about the style of play as if we are the only team in the NCAA that plays it. I have watched a number of other teams this year and the only difference is the uniform. Many teams have one player who is the go to player and gets the ball more than anyone else on the team. Did Ashley have the ball to much, at times yes but that was because other players decided they wanted her to have the ball. I look forward to next year and will still be in my seat cheering on the team.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
What do we think of Vick and Dawkins? From what I saw I don’t know what to think. It seems like they are pretty far from contributing, but also they only played when we were up by 30 and Bill stopped coaching and running any set.
I do not think Vick is a player.
Too early to have an opinion on Dawkins, but looks questionable to me.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Probably have many posts and comments on that over the next six months or so.

Will be interesting to see the new freshman. I am high on Brown and Bristow. I expect we will be in the top 5 or six again but not as good a record. Top six in the league will at least get a NCAA invite

The league, unless there is a quick turnaround, will be not so great again. Texas might be the only team ranked early on. Sooners will lose three fifth year starters, not sure about their other senior starter. KSU will be better with Lee back. Their guards that played with her as freshman will now be juniors. Even with Lee they only won 20 and were a 8 seed so not sure I'd pick them to win the conference. Baylor might be even further down from old Baylor, doesn't appear they signed much of anybody for the class of 2023. She's going to need to hit the portal or she's going to have a mediocre team with a very short roster. Finally, will OSU continue their bounceback?

I think it will be interesting what teams in conference do in the transfer portal market.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Not sure why some of the posters on here keep watching/following the team. Are there things that need to change YES. But some on here who have never been to a practice or had conversations with players post as if they know every detail about players. They talk about the style of play as if we are the only team in the NCAA that plays it. I have watched a number of other teams this year and the only difference is the uniform. Many teams have one player who is the go to player and gets the ball more than anyone else on the team. Did Ashley have the ball to much, at times yes but that was because other players decided they wanted her to have the ball. I look forward to next year and will still be in my seat cheering on the team.
It’s fine for one player to dominate but it would be better if it comes from set plays that include screens, and player movement versus just a simple iso. It gets very stagnant that way and much easier to defend. Plus it can be easy to lose interest in the game if all you do is stand in place and watch your go to player with another iso.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think it will be interesting what teams in conference do in the transfer portal market.

^Truth. It's the 2nd last chance recruiting season now for 2023. You never know. LSU was looking to be sort of young and inexperienced but Mulkey scored some big hits in the portal and that totally changed their outlook. Of course the portal is different if you are either an elite program or an elite coach, they are sort of magnets for star transfers. The rest of us look and hope to add a component player.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
What ISU needs is a more balanced team. Our best combined nasty guard play with great post play.
The lack of consistent post play should probably be a part of any discussion regarding the BF tenure. They simply haven’t been very good at identifying it or developing it, which is made glaringly obvious by the success Jan Jensen has had at Drake and EIU. If we can’t develop it, maybe the transfer portal (Bea, Stef) can save us. CBF has another chance with Audi - hope it pays dividends!

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
I’m not sure I agree. What ISU needs is a more balanced team. Our best combined nasty guard play with great post play. Think Frese, Taylor, Gahan and Welle or Williamson, the player that shall not be named, Christopherson and Prins/Pop. Those were the best teams ISU has ever seen.
A few weeks ago I ran across this nearly 10-year-old Ames Tribune article talking about freedom of movement in basketball that seems pertinent to this conversation.
This movement comes at an interesting time for Iowa State, which is transitioning to a four-guard lineup this season. Increasing freedom of movement would seem to help the undersized Cyclones, who will be looking to create off the dribble more this season than years past. By all accounts, the shift is encouraging offensive playmaking over bruising defense, athleticism over brute strength.
In early October, ISU coach Bill Fennelly explained how his team’s offense will transform away from the post-oriented group it was last year.
Hopefully with the freshmen we have coming in we can go back to that.

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
You've touched on the two key issues which bedeviled the 22-23 ISU women:

1) Lack of elite athleticism, other than Lexi Donarski, who doesn't always utilize her prodigious physical gifts, especially once she's picked up that second foul. Joens & Fritz minimize their athletic shortcomings with smarts, tenacity and effort. I know there are many Ryan fans / apologists among our group, but she is a defensive liability. Yeah, I know she was second team all Big XII, but there were four PG's on the first team and they all ran circles around Emily.

2) Never ending ISOLATION play where everybody else stands around. As much as I love Ashley, I had reached my fill of watching her draw fouls by going one on two (or three) and if I never see Ryan dribble around for twenty seconds again, I'll be a happier man! Did anybody watch the Drake / Louisville game last night? Drake is a three-point shooting team, but their PG doesn't dominate ball possession, they all move constantly and they make back door cuts repeatedly.

In conclusion, we can do better than what the ISU women achieved this year. I appreciate CBF - I was a student in the early 1980's and I watched Tonya Burns play versus William Penn in front of a hundred fans on a weekday afternoon. But if Bill can't adjust, it's probably time to go a different direction, as the in-state competition has surpassed us (Iowa), is significantly more entertaining (Drake) or is almost our equal with lesser heralded local talent (UNI with Grace Bofelli). We can expect better results and he has the recruiting class to make something happen. Let's hope he adjusts his style of play for 2023 / 2024!
With our current recruiting strategy we will never be significantly above average.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It kind of has an Iowa Men's Basketball feel to it at this point. A style of play that when it's clicking can look really good, but a roster makeup that is only capable of winning one way and that realistically puts a ceiling on how far you can go.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It was jarring to watch their offensive game plan compared to ours. They ran efficient sets with motion, cutting, screening, etc. It forced all 5 of our players to guard. Then you watched when we had the ball, which was just bad iso play every time down.

Bill got outcoached badly.

Bill is quite honestly one of the more overrated coaches in the game. Bridget Carleton and Ashley Joens covered up a lot of his inefficiencies as far as scheme and recruiting goes. He had MAJOR player retention issues prior to those two.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I couldn't disagree more. We watch a lot of men's and women's hoops in our house and Bill has done a horrible job managing his teams for the last 8 years. Look no further than Iowa. Thy have the national player of the year and she plays incredibly unselfish. They move the ball around so well and they spread teams out and actually make them defend. None of the other Iowa guards are anything special but they move the ball and find open shooters or isolate their bigs in the paint. Clark gets her shots/points but she absolutely makes everyone around her better.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Fennelly is not immune from criticism, but there's a lot in this thread that just seems ridiculous to me. It feels a bit like Nebraska football fans getting tired of having teams that were simply above average under Pelini. Look how that turned out for their program.

By my count, the Iowa State women's basketball team has made 21 of 27 NCAA tournaments under Bill Fennelly (this excludes the COVID-cancelled year). I don't know about you all, but that seems pretty good to me, especially considering the fact that, in that time, the other three D1 women's programs in Iowa have also consistently been above .500, meaning that recruiting is that much more difficult.

It's reasonable to criticize him for roster construction around Carleton and Joens. I agree that some of the isolation-ball around Joens limited the team's ceiling. But regardless, I don't see how a fan can look at the Carleton/Joens era and think of it as a failure, which it seems like the view of at least a few posters in this thread. And if you look at the incoming recruiting class, as well as bringing in Soares, as well as Fennelly's many attempts at bringing in posts, it's not like he isn't trying to adapt. Those attempts haven't fully worked out for a variety of reasons, some because of lack of development, some because of injuries or other issues, but certain posters here make it sound like Fennelly is just a stodgy coach set in his ways, which seems really inaccurate to me.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Fennelly is not immune from criticism, but there's a lot in this thread that just seems ridiculous to me. It feels a bit like Nebraska football fans getting tired of having teams that were simply above average under Pelini. Look how that turned out for their program.

By my count, the Iowa State women's basketball team has made 21 of 27 NCAA tournaments under Bill Fennelly (this excludes the COVID-cancelled year). I don't know about you all, but that seems pretty good to me, especially considering the fact that, in that time, the other three D1 women's programs in Iowa have also consistently been above .500, meaning that recruiting is that much more difficult.

It's reasonable to criticize him for roster construction around Carleton and Joens. I agree that some of the isolation-ball around Joens limited the team's ceiling. But regardless, I don't see how a fan can look at the Carleton/Joens era and think of it as a failure, which it seems like the view of at least a few posters in this thread. And if you look at the incoming recruiting class, as well as bringing in Soares, as well as Fennelly's many attempts at bringing in posts, it's not like he isn't trying to adapt. Those attempts haven't fully worked out for a variety of reasons, some because of lack of development, some because of injuries or other issues, but certain posters here make it sound like Fennelly is just a stodgy coach set in his ways, which seems really inaccurate to me.

I'll just go back to my Iowa Men's Basketball comparison because you could switch out names and we'd be discussing Fran McCaffery. Made tournaments are great, and sure it could be always be worse. But with the glut of talent we've seen in the last 6 years or so, he's underachieved. And where many fan's frustration lie is having that talent but having a few glaring holes that they refuse to address through recruiting/transfer portal. And while you seem to mention posts exclusively, that's only part of the issue. For me, it's adding athleticism, which we've continued to not prioritize.

For both Iowa Men and our women, you feel like you are afforded a certain window. We aren't UCONN or South Carolina that just retools with elite talent. But we had a window with some transformational players that our staff really didn't fully utilize.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Ummm that's what he is though. Even when Soares was healthy we were forcing way too many possessions through her instead of relying on ball movement and reversals to open things up. She's a very good post player but I just don't agree with Bill's "run everything through one player" approach.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018

Comparing this to Nebraska football is a real stretch. It comes down to the simple truth that if you are satisfied with the program as it stands, then you’re probably fine with Old Bill. But not everyone is, and the program isn’t going to move to the next level until he’s gone.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I'll just go back to my Iowa Men's Basketball comparison because you could switch out names and we'd be discussing Fran McCaffery. Made tournaments are great, and sure it could be always be worse. But with the glut of talent we've seen in the last 6 years or so, he's underachieved. And where many fan's frustration lie is having that talent but having a few glaring holes that they refuse to address through recruiting/transfer portal. And while you seem to mention posts exclusively, that's only part of the issue. For me, it's adding athleticism, which we've continued to not prioritize.

For both Iowa Men and our women, you feel like you are afforded a certain window. We aren't UCONN or South Carolina that just retools with elite talent. But we had a window with some transformational players that our staff really didn't fully utilize.
I don't actually completely disagree with the Fran McCaffery comparison. But I actually think that McCaffery gets too much criticism from Iowa fans, too. That being said, are we ignoring the fact that Fennelly literally made a Sweet 16 just last year? Which, of course, McCaffery has famously failed to do in his years at Iowa.

Even for adding athleticism, the last two years included the Diew and Soares transfers, which were attempts to do that. And the high school recruiting of Bristow and smaller, quicker guards like Dawkins and Jackson is also an attempt to do that. I'd love to get a 6'0" point guard who is also the quickest player on the court against every team we face and can also make threes and can also pass with the best of them, but the nature of Iowa State recruiting is that you probably have to choose. I do think sometimes it feels like Fennelly is a step behind, addressing one concern but failing to address or foresee another. But like I said, sometimes you can't cover all your bases unless you're an elite program.

Ummm that's what he is though. Even when Soares was healthy we were forcing way too many possessions through her instead of relying on ball movement and reversals to open things up. She's a very good post player but I just don't agree with Bill's "run everything through one player" approach.
I think for play style, you can make a certain argument that he's been stuck in his ways too much. But I think it's also wrong to act like all they did with Soares was post her up and let her score on her own. She had the second-highest assist rate on the team! Maybe those didn't come off of that much overall team movement, but she wasn't just forcing up shots. Players did move and cut off her, and she was able to find them. Joens just isn't as skilled in that area.

Comparing this to Nebraska football is a real stretch. It comes down to the simple truth that if you are satisfied with the program as it stands, then you’re probably fine with Old Bill. But not everyone is, and the program isn’t going to move to the next level until he’s gone.
What makes Nebraska football that bad of a comparison? Pelini's success was more consistent than Fennelly's last 8 years, but he was also in a program with more financial support compared to other schools, less nearby competition, and a history of success outside of his own.

And what is the "next level" that Iowa State women's basketball should be at? The only reason we think there could be a next level is because of Fennelly's own success making it a possibility. Could another coach get to that next level? Maybe, but I think it's less likely than Fennelly being able to make changes to get there. I think the baseline success of Iowa State women's basketball with a typical replacement hire is probably lower than what Fennelly is able to do.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't actually completely disagree with the Fran McCaffery comparison. But I actually think that McCaffery gets too much criticism from Iowa fans, too. That being said, are we ignoring the fact that Fennelly literally made a Sweet 16 just last year? Which, of course, McCaffery has famously failed to do in his years at Iowa.

Even for adding athleticism, the last two years included the Diew and Soares transfers, which were attempts to do that. And the high school recruiting of Bristow and smaller, quicker guards like Dawkins and Jackson is also an attempt to do that. I'd love to get a 6'0" point guard who is also the quickest player on the court against every team we face and can also make threes and can also pass with the best of them, but the nature of Iowa State recruiting is that you probably have to choose. I do think sometimes it feels like Fennelly is a step behind, addressing one concern but failing to address or foresee another. But like I said, sometimes you can't cover all your bases unless you're an elite program.

I think for play style, you can make a certain argument that he's been stuck in his ways too much. But I think it's also wrong to act like all they did with Soares was post her up and let her score on her own. She had the second-highest assist rate on the team! Maybe those didn't come off of that much overall team movement, but she wasn't just forcing up shots. Players did move and cut off her, and she was able to find them. Joens just isn't as skilled in that area.

What makes Nebraska football that bad of a comparison? Pelini's success was more consistent than Fennelly's last 8 years, but he was also in a program with more financial support compared to other schools, less nearby competition, and a history of success outside of his own.

And what is the "next level" that Iowa State women's basketball should be at? The only reason we think there could be a next level is because of Fennelly's own success making it a possibility. Could another coach get to that next level? Maybe, but I think it's less likely than Fennelly being able to make changes to get there. I think the baseline success of Iowa State women's basketball with a typical replacement hire is probably lower than what Fennelly is able to do.

Oh I agree we were much better offensively when she was in the lineup but we were still forcing possessions through her at times instead of letting the game flow. Go back and watch the North Carolina and Iowa games. That's what frustrates me with Bill's offense, we force too many looks and try to set up isolation plays instead of running a motion offense.

Reactions: Junejax

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have a great record of making the NCAA (pretty much 80%) and that's probably good enough if you throw in a Sweet Sixteen every decade or so. There's no real pressure to win the conference and we've done that only once in the history of our program and none this century. There's no "If you don't win the conference than the season is a failure", it's just not in our history like it would be if we had a bunch of titles.

With an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens in Fennelly's first five years I thought ISU might be building something crazy special but that house a fire start was never sustained. What we have is a good program, not elite or great but pretty good, maybe just outside the rankings as a Top 30-35 if you rated some sort of scale for the last 20 years. Attendance is good and we win "enough" (see record of making the NCAA's) and that's going to continue to be good enough.

Whether it's good enough for me doesn't really matter, it's just the way things are and will continue to be for at least the next five years unless the wheels just fall off (which I don't see happening). We don't even have to be better to have better league records after Texas and Oklahoma leave. With them gone and Baylor dying on the vine the league is going to be not so great and we will easily finish in the top half, probably the top third, we might even have a hot season and win a piece of the title but to me it will a little less satisfying than winning in the old Big 12.

Summary: It's steady, pretty good but not great, and isn't poised to be much better or much worse.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
We have a great record of making the NCAA (pretty much 80%) and that's probably good enough if you throw in a Sweet Sixteen every decade or so. There's no real pressure to win the conference and we've done that only once in the history of our program and none this century. There's no "If you don't win the conference than the season is a failure", it's just not in our history like it would be if we had a bunch of titles.

With an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens in Fennelly's first five years I thought ISU might be building something crazy special but that house a fire start was never sustained. What we have is a good program, not elite or great but pretty good, maybe just outside the rankings as a Top 30-35 if you rated some sort of scale for the last 20 years. Attendance is good and we win "enough" (see record of making the NCAA's) and that's going to continue to be good enough.

Whether it's good enough for me doesn't really matter, it's just the way things are and will continue to be for at least the next five years unless the wheels just fall off (which I don't see happening). We don't even have to be better to have better league records after Texas and Oklahoma leave. With them gone and Baylor dying on the vine the league is going to be not so great and we will easily finish in the top half, probably the top third, we might even have a hot season and win a piece of the title but to me it will a little less satisfying than winning in the old Big 12.

Summary: It's steady, pretty good but not great, and isn't poised to be much better or much worse.
Bill’s teams always have high quality student athletes that represent ISU very well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It kind of has an Iowa Men's Basketball feel to it at this point. A style of play that when it's clicking can look really good, but a roster makeup that is only capable of winning one way and that realistically puts a ceiling on how far you can go.

Dang that is accurate