Tulsa vs. Iowa State predictions

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I'm going to make this short-and-sweet as I have to put some unruly kids to bed tonight.

Tulsa (2-1) enters the contest coming off of a 7 point victory over Western Michigan in tonight's quarterfinal game. Before that game they beat Oral Roberts at home pretty handily. Their season opener was a loss to surpisingly, Lamar.

Tulsa's main scoring threat is redshirt Senior forward Junior Etou. Much like Shabazz does for Appalachian State, this Rutgers graduate transfer can take over the game. He poured in 30 points with just 18 shots against Oral Roberts. Our defense must key in on him.

Going to be another tough one, but I like the way we are playing with more depth adding Lard and Brase to the mix. Frank Haith's teams tend to play up-tempo, much like us. So I would think the scoring output would be considerably high.

Iowa State 94
Tulsa 90

Wouldn't be surprised if this game entered an extra stanza either.

Going to be a dog fight!

Enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I noticed that Tulsa has Elijah Joiner who we recruited but I don’t think he quite ended up being a take for us once we landed Wigginton (thought we had McNeill at that point too).

Reactions: mjhavlo76

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I noticed that Tulsa has Elijah Joiner who we recruited but I don’t think he quite ended up being a take for us once we landed Wigginton (thought we had McNeill at that point too).

I forgot to add that to my piece, but you are right. I believe he even took an official visit with us. Transferred out of Nebraska.

Another player you might hear a lot of tomorrow is guard Sterling Taplin. He can fill it up from outside. I think Tulsa is a pretty darn good team.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm going to make this short-and-sweet as I have to put some unruly kids to bed tonight.

Tulsa (2-1) enters the contest coming off of a 7 point victory over Western Michigan in tonight's quarterfinal game. Before that game they beat Oral Roberts at home pretty handily. Their season opener was a loss to surpisingly, Lamar.

Tulsa's main scoring threat is redshirt Senior forward Junior Etou. Much like Shabazz does for Appalachian State, this Rutgers graduate transfer can take over the game. He poured in 30 points with just 18 shots against Oral Roberts. Our defense must key in on him.

Going to be another tough one, but I like the way we are playing with more depth adding Lard and Brase to the mix. Frank Haith's teams tend to play up-tempo, much like us. So I would think the scoring output would be considerably high.

Iowa State 94
Tulsa 90

Wouldn't be surprised if this game entered an extra stanza either.

Going to be a dog fight!

Enjoy!
I doubt we get anywhere near 94 points, but I hope you are correct.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I forgot to add that to my piece, but you are right. I believe he even took an official visit with us. Transferred out of Nebraska.

Another player you might hear a lot of tomorrow is guard Sterling Taplin. He can fill it up from outside. I think Tulsa is a pretty darn good team.

Joiner isn't a transfer you're thinking of Horne who we recruited heavily in High School

• Agree
Reactions: mjhavlo76

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I'm hoping we pull this one off too. It could end up being a decent victory at the end of the year. I think we'll need to score like we did tonight, but play better defense and a little better rebounding. It would be nice to get a win streak going.

Loved the way the team played today! That said, I don't want to jinx the team so I'll go with:

Tulsa 80
ISU 74

Hope I'm wrong.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm cautiously optimistic. Babb is looking good on that box score I see.

Babb was tremendous on both ends. As impressive as the stats were, he was probably even better than those look.

I'd just like to see our offense continue to click while playing better defense. I agree with Blum on the podcast though- App State did make a lot of tough shots, and the main reason we gave up 98 was by volume of shots, combined with free throws.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'd be surprised if this is a high scoring game and I'm sure Babb is tired. I think we will win something like 73-67.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
What im looking/hoping for tonight:

-Babb to have another great game on the ball
-Lard to do exactly what he did last night
-Solo to stay out of foul trouble
-Wigginton to stop fouling 3's
-Beverly to keep scrapping
-Talley to bounce back and score in double figures
-DJ to sink some 3's
-Either Long or Lewis to contribute in a palpable way
-Brase not to get hurt

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Tulsa rated five spots higher than Nebraska on Sagarin. So I'll go with a close loss for our guys.

Tulsa 87, ISU 81

Help Support Us

Become a patron