Tuesday Story: Iowa State won’t “panic” in quest to solve offensive woes entering Big 12 opener

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If you think running the ball is the key to being successful, so be it. You have 2 weeks of evidence that you cannot run between the tackles against FBS fronts. Sweeps, counters, reverses, bootlegs, dosomething.gif. Spending 3 quarters with absolutely 0 urgency on offense is a crime against this defense.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Interesting

Cyclone offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase at least entertained the thought that more sweeping adjustments may eventually be made, but stressed that lack of execution, particularly in the running game, is the primary driver of his unit’s travails.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Hopefully those small tweaks mean opening up the playbook and going away from what clearly isnt working. I don't think its realistic to expect Campbell to roll out 4-wides and all the sudden be a spread-option team, but the things Bruns mentioned - going away from the heavy sets with TE's that aren't blocking, creating counter/weakside running threats by using multiple HB's, getting our WR's the ball in space, those things are all easy tweaks that don't require a new playbook.

Reactions: CyNews and Drew0311

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
The quotes from Campbell and Higgins make it pretty clear the staff (or specifically Campbell) see nothing at all wrong with the offensive scheme and philosophy - so many plays are just an inch away! There's no lack of creativity! If these idiots just execute how they're supposed to we'd be great!

Hope I'm wrong but I expect the same old story from the offense on Saturday.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Cyclone offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase at least entertained the thought that more sweeping adjustments may eventually be made, but stressed that lack of execution, particularly in the running game, is the primary driver of his unit’s travails.

Just adding a bit of context here - when you're averaging 1.6 yards per carry and the entire offense is ranked in the bottom 5 of all of college football, that's not just a lack of execution. Teams have backs fall forward for more than 1.6 yards per carry. Our QB sneaks get more than that. While execution is certainly a factor, there's also play calling, coaching, situational awareness, strength, and "margins".

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
*Campbell Voice*
"You know we're just a hair off on execution. Man, we put ourselves in the opportunity to win that football game and we just didn't execute."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People are putting way too much stock into this one drive. Also, I would welcome panic.

Yeah I didn't take away from it that ISU could come out like that and be good to go for the rest of the day.

Maybe get an early lead.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Gundy said the exact same thing in his presser.
Gundy and Matt might be the two most stubborn coaches outside of Iowa City. Both have shown their systems work with the exact right players, but neither school can sustain those levels of players every year, both have let development slip, and both have resisted the Portal to great extents.

And when you then forget to do any development or Portal work, you've dug yourself a hole before the season has begun.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
*Campbell Voice*
"You know we're just a hair off on execution. Man, we put ourselves in the opportunity to win that football game and we just didn't execute."
I’ll change it for you, also Campbell voice:

“When you talk about execution and that offensaline, we’re just a hair off on execution but our player driven leadership & culture is as strong ever. We put ourselves in position to win that football game and didn’t execute.”

• Haha
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Just adding a bit of context here - when you're averaging 1.6 yards per carry and the entire offense is ranked in the bottom 5 of all of college football, that's not just a lack of execution. Teams have backs fall forward for more than 1.6 yards per carry. Our QB sneaks get more than that. While execution is certainly a factor, there's also play calling, coaching, situational awareness, strength, and "margins".

Right. When we are horrible at the thing the coaching staff says we must do well to be successful, I interpret it as the coaching staff admitting we'll suck all season.

The BS coach speak is fine when we're winning, but it's a serious detriment when you've entered the death spiral and only have hope to sell the fanbase and recruits. Guess we'll all sit tight and hope for incremental execution improvements for the next couple years.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Rob, did we watch the same game on Saturday? Tweaks, little changes, and toughness will not solve the problem. Even the transfer QB would be better than what we got. At least he could see over the O-line, and maybe scratching the idea that we must run to the ball all the time might help. 1-11 and kissing the basement floor, Rob.
I get what you are trying to say and agree, but disagree with the transfer QB part. The play calling is not Rocco's fault. And if they were to put Hughes in, they might try to run it a bit more. That would be the only good thing there. But then he might not be allowed to pass on first and second down, there would still be poor logic in the play calling, and the defense would soon be all over it.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But Campbell is about as stubborn as they come, and not quick to adapt. He continually tries to out think an opponent when his thinking is entirely predictable. And he is unwilling to change.

Let's say they put Hughes in (which they won't and shouldn't), the play calling will still be off and will not be suited to what this team needs. The teams desperately needs more than simply tweaks, little changes, and more toughness. : (

If Iowa State does win on Saturday, it sure sounds like it will NOT be because of the coaching stubbornness of Campbell that finally pays off. It will be due to the Cowboys having an even weaker team this year. And the slow burn will continue.