Parts Unknown
This article is nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: agentbear

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That school had one of the rare job openings this year. I looked at it, but the area didn't seem like one that really fit us.
Also, if they have that mini-Harvard reputation, I'd be wasting my time.

Reading this about the experience, I'm glad not to be headed there (like that was happening anyway).

Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
That school had one of the rare job openings this year. I looked at it, but the area didn't seem like one that really fit us.
Also, if they have that mini-Harvard reputation, I'd be wasting my time.

Reading this about the experience, I'm glad not to be headed there (like that was happening anyway).
I had an old friend that played baseball there two years and transferred out. He said the morale of the place sucked due to the pressure everyone was under. That was like 10 years ago he was telling me that.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I had an old friend that played baseball there two years and transferred out. He said the morale of the place sucked do to the pressure everyone was under. That was like 10 years ago he was telling me that.

I bet. I figured that the area wouldn't have the resources for our kiddo that she'll need with school. Not surprised to see that they're really lacking as an area, too.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Kirksville is a great place to get food on the way to the ozarks. That's the nicest thing I can say about the place.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I went to band camp there when it was NE Mo St and I was in 6th grade. It was not pretentious then.

My kids went to a few regional math contests there when they were in high school. Was surprised the place kind of had an attitude but the students didn’t seem all that different than anywhere else. I think last time we went there for math contest was maybe 7years ago though.

Not gonna look down at a place I don’t know all that much about. Schools seem to go through these phases even in high school or even middle school. Several schools in DM metro have had suicide waves in recent years.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm not sure if many people in here actually read that article but holy crap that is insane. IMO, definitely sounds like the Grossheim kid is a predator and talked all those people into killing themselves. Way too many people for it to be a coincidence, not to mention them all hanging themselves. Crazy situation that is really not to far from here

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'm not sure if many people in here actually read that article but holy crap that is insane. IMO, definitely sounds like the Grossheim kid is a predator and talked all those people into killing themselves. Way too many people for it to be a coincidence, not to mention them all hanging themselves. Crazy situation that is really not to far from here
Yeah, it’s hard to believe he’s just there so often.

• Agree

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Wait, Truman State is a prestigious school?
It's the most selective of the state schools in Missouri anyway. Only about 23% admitted I think. When it was renamed Truman State in the 90s part of the deal was making it the best liberal arts college in the state.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Haven’t read the article yet but how do you get “talked into” killing yourself”?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Haven’t read the article yet but how do you get “talked into” killing yourself”?
People who are vulnerable and weak can be talked into doing a lot of stupid **** by people they look up to or think they can trust. These were college age kids with mental illness who probably all had alcohol and drug problems. Nothing shocks me. People are easily manipulated.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The cluster thing is real. I remember it happening in the neighboring town after an accident at a party that took the life of a popular kid. And later at Simpson...1988. I believe there were three in a year. Seems like it was going on in other places as well.

In regards to the kid, it sounds like they're looking for something that just isn't there, It never made sense at the time, and it still doesn't make sense today. It will never make sense.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, and the last one (woman across.from him at apartment) really was an odd coincidence.

And that for one he asked the coroner if he could see the body....weird.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I went to band camp there when it was NE Mo St and I was in 6th grade. It was not pretentious then.

My kids went to a few regional math contests there when they were in high school. Was surprised the place kind of had an attitude but the students didn’t seem all that different than anywhere else. I think last time we went there for math contest was maybe 7years ago though.

Not gonna look down at a place I don’t know all that much about. Schools seem to go through these phases even in high school or even middle school. Several schools in DM metro have had suicide waves in recent years.
So Truman state is the old NE Mo State? Thought kirksville sounded familiar. One of my college roommates dated a girl from there for a bit. She was complete crazy. My roommate was getting some so he put up with it, I wouldn’t have.

Band camp? I saw a couple movies with band camp, they can get a little crazy there.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It's the most selective of the state schools in Missouri anyway. Only about 23% admitted I think. When it was renamed Truman State in the 90s part of the deal was making it the best liberal arts college in the state.
It's the second hardest state school in Missouri to get into. Missouri S&T is harder, when I tried to get in S&T was the second hardest public school in the country to get into behind Georgia Tech. People go to Truman because they want to go to Med School to get a DO there or at least that's what most of the people I went to high school started out doing.

• Informative

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron