Trivia about the head coaches in the Big XII

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
For the purpose of these questions, only seasons spent as a paid coach in major college football (both Division I and I-AA) were used in the statistical analysis.

Questions about the current head football coaches of the Big XII Conference ...

1. Which coach has spent the most number of years on the sideline?

2. Which coach has spent the least number of years on the sideline?

3. Who is the only coach to have an overall losing record as both a head coach and an assistant?

4. Which coach has the highest number of winning seasons without ever won or shared a conference championship?

5. Which coached has been on the sideline for the least number of schools?

6. Who has coached in the postseason more than anyone else?

7. Which two coaches have won the Frank Broyles Award?

8. Which coach has the highest percentage of conference championships per seasons coached?

9. Which coach has the most career wins as an assistant?

10. Which coach has been involved in the most Bowl Championship Series games?

11. Who is the only one to have never been the head man in a major college football game?

12. Who is the only coach to have spent time on the sidelines at two historically black universities?

See how many you can get right. I'll post the answers tomorrow.

Reactions: bos

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
3 years ago.. most answers would have been Dan Mc.

-keep

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
Just some wild guesses

Mack Brown

Ron Prince

3. Who is the only coach to have an overall losing record as both a head coach and an assistant?

Gary Pinkel

4. Which coach has the highest number of winning seasons without ever won or shared a conference championship?

Mike Leech

Art Briles

Mack BRown

Chizik
Mike Mangino

8. Which coach has the highest percentage of conference championships per seasons coached?

Bobby Stoops

Bob Stoops

Mack Brown

11. Who is the only one to have never been the head man in a major college football game?

Bo Pelini

12. Who is the only coach to have spent time on the sidelines at two historically black universities?

Ron Prince

I really have no idea on most of them

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
Here is my attempt...

Mack Brown

Ron Prince

Gary Pinkel

Mike Leech

Mike Gundy

Mack Brown

Gene Chizik
Mike Mangino

Bob Stoops

Bo Pelini

Bob Stoops

Mike Sherman

Ron Prince

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
For the purpose of these questions, only seasons spent as a paid coach in major college football (both Division I and I-AA) were used in the statistical analysis.

Mack Brown

Mike Sherman

Prince

Pinkel

Mike Gundy

Mack Brown

Chizek
Mangino

Stoops

Chizek

Brown

Sherman

Ron Prince

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com

Mack Brown

Prince

Magino

Leech

Hawkins

Brown

Chizek
Pelini

Stoops

Pelini

Pelini

Sherman

Prince

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Brown

Pelini

Grundy

Leech

Hawkins

Brown

Chizik
Mangino

Hawkins

Mangino

Stoops

Sherman

Prince

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
CloneU got 4.

Steve is our winner with NINE! Nice job. I think that's the most I've seen anyone get.

The Answers ...

1. Gary Pinkel has spent 32 years in Division I Football, 17 as a head coach. His stops include Washington, Bowling Green, Toledo, and Missouri. That is 3 more seasons than Mack Brown who began his career at Iowa State in 1979.

2. Bo Pelini has only coached 5 years in Division I Football, all of them as a defensive coordinator. He spent one year each at Nebraska and Oklahoma, followed by 3 at LSU. Art Briles is the only other coach under 10.

3. Mike Gundy is 18-19 in 5 years as the head coach at OSU. He was only 65-103 as an assistant at Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Maryland. He must have been hired because he was ‘a man’ because he is the only one that had a losing record as an assistant, most of that at OSU.

4. Mike Leach has spent 12 seasons in Division I, with 11 winning seasons, including 8 straight as the head man in Lubbock. He has never won a conference or division title. His only losing season was his first at Kentucky when they went 5-6.

5. Art Briles has only coached at Houston and Texas Tech after spending most of his career in the Texas high school ranks. Baylor will be his third when the Bears take the field this fall.

6. Mack Brown has been on the staff of 19 different bowl teams, included 10 straight at Texas. He took UNC to 6 straight before taking over in Austin. Pinkel is second with 16 postseason appearances, Stoops is third with 15.

7. Mark Mangino won the award for the top assistant in the nation while at Oklahoma in 2000. Gene Chizik won it in 2004 when his Auburn Tigers went undefeated.

8. Dan Hawkins has been a part of 6 conference championships (2 Big West and 4 WAC) during his 10 years on the major college football sidelines.

9. Gene Chizik has been a part of 142 wins as an assistant coach during 17 years on the sidelines of Texas, Auburn, Central Florida, Stephen F. Austin, and Middle Tennessee State.

10. Bob Stoops has coached in a remarkable 7 BCS games in the 10 years that the series has existed.

11. Mike Sherman is the only coach to have never been the head man for a major college football game. This will be Bo Pelini's first head coaching job, but he did coach the Huskers in the 2003 Alamo Bowl.

12. Ron Prince spent one season at both Alabama A&M and South Carolina State.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Mook, thanks for putting this up. One minor point, however, on Q5. Hawkins & Briles should be tied with 2 schools if you are only counting D1 & 1AA. Hawkins also coached at Williamette, but it is a NIAC school.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Mook, thanks for putting this up. One minor point, however, on Q5. Hawkins & Briles should be tied with 2 schools if you are only counting D1 & 1AA. Hawkins also coached at Williamette, but it is a NIAC school.

Damn, you are correct. I wasn't counting his time at Williamette. I somehow counted his stints as an assistant and head coach at Boise State as two. D'oh! :confused:

Thanks for playing all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron