Boozer 12.5
Smith 10.1
Lee 9.1

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Beasley also has good numbers because he is the designated ball hog. He missed the last three threes against Nebraska.

Dont you want you best player taking shots late in the game? He was hitting everything late in the 2nd half.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Scoring numbers from their senior year in high school for our current roster

C Johnson 27.0 ppg
Haluska 25.3
Jacobsen 23.3
Currie 20.6
Clark 18.2
Thompson 17.0
W Johnson 15.2
Garrett 15.2
Petersen 15.1
Staiger 13.3
Boozer 12.5
Smith 10.1
Lee 9.1

This would appear to make my skepticism totally justified. It appears that kids from the smaller mid-western locations have a greater drop-off than kids from more metropolitan areas. Where is Brackins on this list?

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
This would appear to make my skepticism totally justified. It appears that kids from the smaller mid-western locations have a greater drop-off than kids from more metropolitan areas. Where is Brackins on this list?

Your skepticism is justified. I have my reservations too. It's the fact that you feel the need to express it with sarcasm over and over and over and over and over.............

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Crap! I thought we could expect 30 ppg from Wes next year.

Where are we going to get all of our points now?

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

When push comes to shove, Wes's success or lack of it in college will be determined much more by his athletic ability and basketball skills than where he was born and grew up. Trying to say that he won't make it because he is from a small community is just as bad as trying to say that anyone from a large metro area is guaranteed to be a star. Can we please keep future discussions about Wes focused on his talent and skill rather than his points and geographic location.

From what I have seen and heard from people who make their living from basketball, one of the best comparisons in terms of frame, speed, quickness, shooting, and ball handling is Hinrich. The examples of high scoring small town kids who don't pan out are almost entirely tied to lack of physical skills that don't project to the next level. Just because some other kid might be the best player in Sioux City and score an lot of points doesn't mean that he will have the career that Hinrich has had. OTOH if a kid matches up in terms of talent and skill like Wes is said to, don't bet against it.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Adam Morrison averaged about 27 points in high school in Spokane Washington. He was barely considered a top 300 player, and averaged about 11.5 points at Gonzaga his first year.

To say a freshmen is going to be all world before playing his first gameis not a fair statement, but its just as ignorant to say a guy that plays at a smaller high school has no chance at making a major contribution his freshman year.

I just hope Wes doesn't cry if he were to lose a game :)

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Adam Morrison averaged about 27 points in high school in Spokane Washington. He was barely considered a top 300 player, and averaged about 11.5 points at Gonzaga his first year.

To say a freshmen is going to be all world before playing his first gameis not a fair statement, but its just as ignorant to say a guy that plays at a smaller high school has no chance at making a major contribution his freshman year.

I just hope Wes doesn't cry if he were to lose a game :)

A couple of observations. Spokane is a small city of about 200,000 and Fremont has 25,000. My sense (not knowing really anything about HS BB in WA and knowing a little about HS BB in NE) is that he (Morrison) probably played tougher competition day in and day out in HS.

Also, Morrison is 6-8 or 6-9 and plays forward. Eikmeier is a 6-3 guard, I believe. Generally, it is my opinion that guards have a more difficult transition to the college game than the big guys. Just my opinion...there are always exceptions like Mike Conley and DJ Augustin, etc.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
I have to give Cyclone #1 some credit, he never gives up. No matter the logic of the arguments against him he never wavers. No matter how often he is shown to be wrong he never backs down. Oh, I just described a fool who would freeze to death rather than admit its winter. Talent is talent. If you're from a small school or a large. Talent will determine if he is a success not his address. I admit that the best in New York have a better chance than the best in Fremont, not because of competion but rather because there are more players. Let's wait until he plays to judge his abilities. As I've said before GIVE IT UP!!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I have to give Cyclone #1 some credit, he never gives up. No matter the logic of the arguments against him he never wavers. No matter how often he is shown to be wrong he never backs down. Oh, I just described a fool who would freeze to death rather than admit its winter. Talent is talent. If you're from a small school or a large. Talent will determine if he is a success not his address. I admit that the best in New York have a better chance than the best in Fremont, not because of competion but rather because there are more players. Let's wait until he plays to judge his abilities. As I've said before GIVE IT UP!!

Actually most of the people that are hoping that Eikmeier is a prolific scorer / "defense stretcher" at ISU are the ones basing their thoughts on emotion rather than logic.

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this particular discussion...we are discussing our opinions with respect to Eikmeier's abilities and how they will translate to playing at ISU.

I don't need to worry much about winter where I live...however it was a little chilly last night...got down into the mid 40s...but it is 72 today.

With respect to your "talent is talent" argument...how do you explain Corey McIntosh? See his statistics below for last year and this year.

06-07 at ISU
FG% .356
3Pt% .333
FT% .791
RPG 1.8
Asst/G 2.5
PPG 4.4
Stl/G .6

07-08 at Augustana College, SD
FG% .445
3Pt% .393
FT% .811
RPG 2.2
Asst/G 4.3
PPG 16.6
Stl/G 1.56

Talent is talent and Corey McIntosh has significantly better numbers this year not because of an increase in his ability to play or talent but rather because of the level of competition he faces nightly...this year it is far inferior to what he saw last year.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
I said talent. Where did I state that CM was a talent. What I said was if he has talent it doesn't matter where you go to school. That talent will play through.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Earlier I mentioned the comparisons that I've heard between Wes & Hinrich.

Now #1 wants to compare him to CM who is 2 in shorter, 15 lbs lighter, and not good enough to get a single D1 offer out of high school. I don't think so.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Nobody will know how Wes will do until he actually gets here and starts playing...nobody is expecting the kid to step in and score 15-20 points a game...people are just excited about the fact that he is a shooter...and as far as this whole small-town Nebraska basketball argument...McDermott and the staff don't offer people because of the stats they put up in high school games...they recruit them based on athleticism, size, natural ability, potential, and ability to fit the system. If you think McDermott and the assistants looked and Eikmeier's eye-popping stats against small town Nebraska High Schools and said, "wow, we gotta sign this kid". You're wrong...they signed him because they see potential and like his natural ability...and also because he shoots lights out. Players are not recruited because of who they play against, they are recruited because of their own natural ability...and obviously McDermott thinks Wes brings something to the table for this program...obviously you don't, but I'll take Coach Mac's opinion over yours.

Last edited:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This is one of the dumber threads I've seen...Patrick Beverly and Wes are two completely different types of guards, and Corey McIntosh is a point guard, not an off-guard...clearly Wes wouldn't be scoring as much as he is if he played at Mt. Zion or Brewster Academy, but that doesn't change the fact that our staff thinks he's a good enough player to play here.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Earlier I mentioned the comparisons that I've heard between Wes & Hinrich.

Now #1 wants to compare him to CM who is 2 in shorter, 15 lbs lighter, and not good enough to get a single D1 offer out of high school. I don't think so.

I'm not comparing him to Corey McIntosh in any way. My point is that someone here is saying "talent is talent" no matter where you play...my point is, yes, talent is talent, but it sure makes a big difference who your competition is...witness Corey McIntosh...4ppg at ISU and 16ppg at Augustana.

Oh, by the way, I think Wes only got one DI offer.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wes would have had offers from Mizzou and Nebraska, but he told them his recruitment was over. There was a great deal of buzz around him after AAU ball this year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron