Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sandfort plays no D, he wont improve on that. If he's truly close to a forst round and Iowa's not ponying up decent NIL $, he should declare.

He’s nowhere near the defender Matt Thomas was by the time he was done ant ISU and he had trouble sticking. Better hope he gets first round because I could see him as a second rounder who doesn’t stick. Thomas shot 43% from three his junior year and 45% his senior year to Sandfort’s 38%.

Maybe there’s an out of the ordinary lack of international talent or something.

Reactions: RezClone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Paul Shirley was a walk-on his freshman year. And Doug McDermott was for his senior year. All of these were due to scholarship limits, which is not the problem, exactly, that Iowa is facing.
Same with Hornacek for that matter. He was not a "true" walk-on (for lack of better term).

It was a scholarship thing. Idk why, but it kind of gets to me when his name gets lumped in with any run of the mill walk-on with no context.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
In his last three regular season Big 10 games against top opponents he was 4-17 (Whisky, Purdue, Illinois). If he is a first round pick, wow…

Go back and look at some of the shots he has to take... He will do really well in a set shooter type role.

• Wow
Reactions: Rural

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Why do some act like Sandfort is the only player who has ever had to take tough shots? Give Iowa credit, they have a good offensive system, and within that system he shot 38% from 3 and averaged 16. Averaging 16 a game isn't bad, but it doesn't make him an elite scorer on a team where he should be an elite scorer if he's the primary weapon. He couldn't even make 2nd team all B1G in that dog **** conference. People want to say the draft is so bad he has a chance this year fine, but regardless of draft position he is a lifer g-league or euro player.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Another reason he should go into the NBA Draft THIS year.

Historically weak draft in 2024 and Sandfort will be quite old as a prospect in 2025. He turns 22 in July. With those two variables in mind, this is his best shot at maximizing his draft stock. That said, I still think he'll be back.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Tbd on the team around him but Great Osobor will immediately be one of the best players in the Big Ten and Danny Sprinkle is a really good coach.

I know the intent is to look tough, but half these pictures look like me when I'm using all my might to squeeze one out when constipated.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Historically weak draft in 2024 and Sandfort will be quite old as a prospect in 2025. He turns 22 in July. With those two variables in mind, this is his best shot at maximizing his draft stock. That said, I still think he'll be back.
I will be surprised if he stays in the draft, but the guy is being talked about, and if he can get into the 2nd round of the draft he needs to go. The kid is the type of player that is going to have to down to the G league and show enough for some team to bring him up. Maybe get one of the two half way contracts that allows him to go back and forth like Garza did for a couple of years. Coming back to EIU really will not help him in anyway, they are going to be a poor to bad team with him or without him, so might as well take the money and go.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I highly doubt you will ever see an ISU logo ever associated with an NIL announcement similar to this, and if you do, we're doing it all wrong

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06